2020 Marathon Training and relevant COVID 19 discussion echo chamber (Read 700 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

• Coors light is a BJCP 2015 commercial example of a Light American Lager (1A). 
    • Arrow doesn’t make a better Indian. 

That’s some serious equipment! What makes you feel you are mediocre as a brewer? It’d be hard to brew crap with all that, unless you are trying to brew a Coors Lite clone. 

sincerely, monkey muppet

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

jhudak55

JHudak - I'm doing Loudoun Street Mile also (well...most likely - slight hiccup in that a friend's rescheduled wedding party may be the night before....)  Remind me when we get closer and I'll pass on some tips on how to run that course well.

Question - why are you targeting 5 minute pace?  That's about a 74 second quarter, repeated four times without rest.

I ask because, as I recall, you're still working towards breaking 20 for 5K.  Most people who are running 5 minute miles are also sub-18 minute 5Kers, at a minimum.  But perhaps you have an 800m background?

[FWIW, my mile PR of 5:25 (set at Loudoun Street mile 3 years ago) is considered a better performance than my 5K PR of 18:51]

I put my 5k in an equivalent race calculator and I think I can run quite a bit faster than what it spit out (5:53). My thinking was that the mile is a less correlated race than the 5k to marathon distance. I agree that it is probably too aggressive, but I didn't want to sell myself short having no idea what my actual capabilities are in middle distance races (no 800m or track experience, all my running background is from the last two years). My plan is to run 6x200 this week and work my way down from 42 seconds to 37 and if I feel that I am overexerting at any point to cut it back drastically. Based on the lack of speed work I've done, I was hoping the next couple weeks of workouts would help me come up with a real goal based on actual training.

All that being said, you are correct, 5 minute pace doesn't make any sense based on my previous results.

Hoping everything keeps improving and we actually get to run it. And course tips would be much appreciated!

OMR

Dwave:  I ran the 10K route today.  I'll probably post something on my mostly defunct running blog, with a few comments, in the next day or two.  I'll share a link here when it's ready.

My week (I'm doing my LRs on Mondays, so my weeks begin on Tuesday):

T:  Rest

W:  5.4M @ 8:22

T:  7.5M @ 8:08 w/16 x 20sec strides

F:  7.3M @ 8:15

S:  7.6M w/10 x 400m (1:37 --> 1:31), then 3 x 200m (0:42 average)

S:  Rest (traveling for Father's Day)

M:  16M in three legs:

--Leg 1:  5.4M @ 8:19

--Leg 2:  6.6M @ 7:56, with a detour or two, and all kinds of stops to look at a map

--Leg 3:  4M @ 7:44

Total:  43.8M

OMR

And (paging OMR)....I just pulled the trigger on entering the Fargo 10K.  If they announce we have to wear masks while running it, I guess I'll just eat the cost of the entry.

I don't see that (requiring masks) happening.  It's North Dakota...hardly anyone is wearing a mask now, unless you go to Costco, since the company requires it.

OMR

Twin Cities announced yesterday that their marathon will be held virtually.  Blech...

CalBears

Twin Cities announced yesterday that their marathon will be held virtually.  Blech...

I do not understand why when they hold things virtually, they still expect real money. They should expect nothing but a virtual payment. Hard to find the virtual currency though - even Robox costs money 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I think you still get a REAL medal posted to you when you complete a virtual race. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

OMR

I do not understand why when they hold things virtually, they still expect real money. They should expect nothing but a virtual payment. Hard to find the virtual currency though - even Robox costs money 

Well, I paid online with a credit card, and paid the credit card online through my bank account, into which my paycheck is deposited directly, for a job that i did virtually during the pandemic.  So, it kind of makes sense, I guess?

CalBears

I think you still get a REAL medal posted to you when you complete a virtual race. 

Oh, REAL-ly? Then sure, now I want to race that marathon too...

They should be giving deferrals, not making you run virtual race for the price of a real one. I like what CIM did - if pandemic doesn't allow you to run this year - they still keep your money - but you have 3 years to chose from to run the REAL race.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Oh, REAL-ly? Then sure, now I want to race that marathon too...

They should be giving deferrals, not making you run virtual race for the price of a real one. I like what CIM did - if pandemic doesn't allow you to run this year - they still keep your money - but you have 3 years to chose from to run the REAL race.

My marathon trail race in August was cancelled and they offered either free entry next year (which I accepted) or a virtual race.....ie, run any 26.2 route or treadmill....and there was some kind of leaderboard??  No thanks,

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Hey all-

Ran a 2:48:40 time trial marathon. 95% effort. I was planning on a sub 2:45:00 goal and Grandma's but after it was canceled I backed off training from 2 workouts + long run to 1 work out + long run. My goal was 2:50:00 for the time trial.  Had someone jog (for him) with me the 2nd half. Started at 4:30 am on 6/21. Our daughter (2nd kid) was born 6/16 in the evening. Mom and Willow are doing great.  I'll get caught up soon. If you are interested my recent log is open/I'm on strava. Hope you are doing well. Just trying to get some sleep. Took 2 days off and I'm back running. Sounds like pretty good chances for running my oct 17th marathon. So I wanted to be able to get right back into training this time pushing the redline a bit more.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

OMR

DPS:. Congrats on both fronts, impressive all the way around.  I saw in the HM thread you’re running Mankato.  Have you run that before?  I ran it quite a few years ago, if it is the same route, there is a significant downhill in the second half (at least it was to me, coming from the Red River Valley), maybe around mile 16 or so.  If you’re good at running downhill, I imagine there is some time to be had.

dpschumacher

3 months til Masters

Yeah. It has changed slightly. You go down the long hill twice (6ish and around mile 19) and up it once around 15.  Not exactly on the same hill each time, but the same profile. It is a -200 feet net which will be helpful to get rolling into that last 10k.

2023 Goals

Marathon Sub 2:37 (CIM) 2:41:18

10k Sub 35:00 (Victory 10k 34:19)

5k Sub 16:00 (Hot Dash 5k in March (16:48), Brian Kraft in May (16:20), Twilight 5000 in July and August (16:20/16:25 Both heat index 102-103F)

Sub 1:16 Half Marathon  City of Lakes Half Marathon 1:15:47)

Sub 56:30 in 10 mile (Twin Cities 10 mile, Canceled due to weather, 56:35 as a workout)

2024 Goals

Sub 2:37 Marathon

Sub 1:15 Half

Sub 34 10k

Sub 16 5k

CalBears

DPS - congrats again on a beautiful child - after being in this world for almost 55 years I can say with 110% confidence that there is no bigger miracle in this world than a new born child. I wish I were younger with a what I know and appreciate now - I would have as many kids as I could - money is an optional thing, kids are the sweetest thing I know (especially pre-teen ones) - there is no bigger input into this world than having kids. Great job on marathon trial too. Though I would think twice before you run downhill course - Mikkey will be very critical of it.

My week was better than the previous one - was much less tired this week - maybe because I tried to run slower. It's getting really tough and boring to continue running 100+ miles weeks, so, I am thinking to do few more weeks and then will go down to maybe 70 mpw adding some speedier workouts, probably for 4-6 weeks? Depending on how the races situation develops September-October, I decide what to do next. The way things are going with new covid cases, we might not see races for longer time than is anticipated - in that case I may do another set of high mileage base building.

My week:

Mon - 15.15 @8:42

Tue - 12.53 @ 7:43 (10 @153bpm @7:25) - am / 4.2 @9:28 - pm

Wed - 12.53 @9:08 - am /  4.2 @9:27 - pm

Thu - 12.53 @9:02 - am / 4.2 @9:39 - pm

Fri - 13.11 @7:35 - am (10 @152bpm @7:12) - am / 4.2 @10:01 - pm

Sat - 15.18 @9:17 - am / 4.2 @9:38 - pm

Sun - off

===

Total: 102 miles

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DPS - I said this on the other thread but....congrats!

Calbears - I found your comments on kids moving.  And...you don't need my opinion but....I really like your thoughts on dropping down for 4-6 weeks, and then seeing if any races, if not you rest and then return to high mileage.  That way you lock in the gains of this high mileage experiment/experience.

Me:63 miles
                                M: Upper body weights/core and streaming yoga
                                T: 12.5 miles outside, including a mile pace workout - 4x(2x200+400) with equal distance recovery after each rep. Splits were 41, 42, 84; 42, 42, 85, 42, 42, 84, and 41, 41, 84. Followed with leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.
                                W: 7 miles very easy outside (9:04), streaming yoga, 7 miles very easy on treadmill (9:03), plus drills and four strides.
                                Th: Upperbody weights/core in morning; streaming yoga in afternoon.
                                F: 12.5 miles outside, including a workout of 2 mile, 1 mile at tempo effort, and then 4x.25 miles a bit faster. Splits were 12:55 (6:24/6:31); 6:27, 86 (stopped too soon), 94, 93, 93. Recoveries of 4:4x after the tempo segments; 60 seconds between the quarter miles. Followed with some leg strengthwork and streaming yoga.
                                Sa: 10 miles easy outside (9:21) then drills and two hill strides plus streaming yoga.
                                Su: 12 miles progressive, split as first four averaging 9:21, next four averaging 7:54, next four averaging 7:07. Followed with a 2 mile cooldown, leg strengthwork, and streaming yoga.

As I wrote in the other thread.  I'm starting to add more quality during the week, so I'm pulling back slightly on my mileage (will be around 60 next week) and also the length of my long run until I (hopefully) start marathon training in early August (current goal marathon is Indy/Harrisburg/Richmond, under the hope that at least one of them will happen. Indy is my first choice, if it's a go).

My local pool will also be opening back up in early to mid July, so I'm excited.  It's very limited - you have to reserve a 45 minute timeslot in advance (and no more than one session a day) but it's something

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.