Weekend outage (Oct 29-30) (Read 1276 times)

eric :)

RunningAHEAD.com was unavailable for much of this weekend. The machine that runs this site also runs 100s of other sites. One of these sites wasn't playing nice and used up all the connections to the database. There was nothing I can do other than try to get the web hosting company to resolve the problem. Let's hope that the hosting company can track down this culprit to put the problem behind us.

Here's an update on the cause, if anyone's curious. According to my web hosting provider, hackers attacked one of the sites that is hosted on the same machine as RunningAHEAD.com. The site was using an out of date forum package, thus making it vulnerable. Almost everything on RunningAHEAD.com is custom made, and I went through a lot of trouble to make sure it is hardened against common hacker tactics. Other sites aren't as diligent in keeping their softwares up to date and there's nothing I can do about it other than sign up for a dedicated server. It will guarantee that RunningAHEAD.com will not be affected, but it cost so much money that I have to put up ads or charge people to use it, and I don't want to do that. For now, we all will have to deal with the possible intermittent interruption. Any thoughts or opinions? eric Smile

You'll ruin your knees!

Eric, Playing nice on the www isn't everybody's bag. Unfortunately, those of us who try and get along are negatively impacted from time to time. The benefits you offer far outweigh the cost (I have an uncanny grasp of the obvious, you know Wink) and I am happy to put up with a very small outage once in a while. Thanks for taking time to react to the problem and to explain the issues to us. Keep up the good work and THANKS<><><thanks lynn b lynn=""></thanks lynn b>

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

gimme some sugar, baby

Yup. Keep up the good work, I'm totally cool with how things are working now.
          George: Runner/Law Student
          www.gimme-five.com

Lynn and oce222, Thank you for your understanding. By keeping your logs here, you have as much vested interest in this site as me. I want you to be informed of what's going on, even though some of these announcements put me in a bad light. In an attempt to turn the light away from me, here's something that might be of interest: Google Map support!