2014 WDW Marathon weekend (Read 108 times)

Scooterscott

With about 12 week to go before race weekend, and since there is a little banter on another thread (RunDisney) decided to start this thread for anyone doing the 2014 WDW races.  Please sound off if you will be Dopey, Goofy or doing a single race - Full, Half, 10K or 5K.

From the other thread it sounds like a few folks are already headed to the race in January, as well as other who have done the races before so if there are questions we can all chime in.  The races are all quite fun and a little different from other marathons as it is not one of the more serious races but it still can be run for a good time as well as a "good time".

Probably the most unusual thing to consider is logistics of getting up and around the resort property so early.  Years ago a friend wrote an email about the race morning which has some good general tips was well as some Disney specific tips, it made its way onto an old website so the link is below.  Remember this is probably 8+ years old and there are time changes,as well as other changes but the principles still remain for race morning.

http://disneyrunning.com/06beforeracebm.html

BTW - This will be my 11th WDW Full (and 9th Goofy.)  Goal - Hoping to PR in one race, half or full.  Goofy - PR - 2012 Half - 1:30, Full - 3:43.

Anonymous Guest

I'm doing Goofy. It will be my first one. My entire family is meeting up for a vacation there that week (10-12 of us) Running the half with my sister and her 15-year-old daughter, so taking that one slower. Running the full by myself because no one else in my family will do it.

My parents have a timeshare at Bonnet Creek, so we will be staying there. I've seen questions and comments about staying on property versus off property, but this is kind of between the two so I'm not sure what to expect.

Coaching testimonial: "Not saying my workout was hard but KAREN IS EVIL."

Upcoming races: Hennepin Hundred - October 2024

Check out my website and youtube channel

Docket_Rocket

I'm only doing the marathon this time around (two Goofys in the last 2 years).  I am holding off on the Dopey until my friend can do it with me.  More fun that way.

I usually stay close to the start at one of the Disney resorts.  Worth the sleep.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

This January will be my 2nd HM. Very excited and greatly looking forward to it as I really enjoyed the 2012 edition! I may make the big step forward and run (my first) full in January 2015 and possibly the Dopey in 2016 depending on how my full goes. Cool thing about this year vs. the previous year running, my wife signed up for the inaugural 10K and my boys are running the kids races!

The last few years, my wife's side and our own family have made it a vacation spot. Everybody has a good time and we book a villa in Clermont which is only about 10-15 minutes from Disney! Several members of her family have caught the running bug and if all plays out well, the whole family could be running the family 5K in 2015. So I guess I would actually be doing two races in 2015.

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

xhristopher

I'll be there and I'm just running the full. We're arriving on Wednesday and I'm running on Sunday so I should be fat, beat down, and hungover by the time I run. It's a brilliant strategy.

LeighDS

Live Free & Run

I'm arriving Wed the 8th so I am keeping my fingers crossed for now snow delays. But we have our races in the first weekend of our 10-day vacation. I think that's a good plan.

PRs

1-Mile - 6:18 on 4-4-2015

5K - 21:48 on 10-31-2015

10K - 47:57 on 10-24-2015

HM - 1:52:36 on 3-25-2017

FULL - 4:41:12 on 1-11-2015

Upcoming Races

Tanger Outlet 5K

Disney World 19.3 Challenge

Race the Runways 10K

You Rang?

I'm only running the full, and it is my first full marathon.  I'm arriving on the evening of the10th, and will wander over to the expo during the half to pick up my bib.  I expect the place to be deserted.

Like Leigh, the race is day three of a 20 day Florida vacation.

I'm staying on Disney property for the race weekend and will check out the transportation thread listed above.

Rick

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Just B.S.

I'm doing Goofy. It will be my first one. My entire family is meeting up for a vacation there that week (10-12 of us) Running the half with my sister and her 15-year-old daughter, so taking that one slower. Running the full by myself because no one else in my family will do it.

My parents have a timeshare at Bonnet Creek, so we will be staying there. I've seen questions and comments about staying on property versus off property, but this is kind of between the two so I'm not sure what to expect.

Stayed there at the condos for the princess in February. It's a great complex and speaking as some one who had stayed on site previously I found it just as convenient.