When not to run (Read 848 times)

I've heard about it's okay to run with sickness from the neck up. But how many people really stick with that theory? I was sick on Friday night, Sat, and Sun. I'm still not quite back to normal, but the fever is gone. My throat is on "fire" but my glands aren't swollen. My lungs don't feel that heaviness as they did on Sat. I had PLENTY of rest all weekend. I can't remember the last time I spent so much time on the couch and under blankets...it was nice to be waited on for a change. Big grin I'd like to do a light jog today. I'll probably do it no matter what, but I was wondering how other people deal with being sick and still running. When do you draw the line and decide not to run? I think for me it was obvious on Sat and Sun that I needed to lay low. Friday's run was brutal, I felt like I had just run 10 miles, and that was only after the first mile of my little 3.5 mile run!! I should have known something was brewing.

Michelle

nemo1

It depends on how cold it is outside and what I'm sick with. I had a sinus infection last winter and I was going to run, but then I got this horrible cough that I had a hard time getting rid of. So, I decided not to run because otherwise I would just spend half of the run coughing every half mile or so and really not getting anything done. Other than that, I'll run with colds and anything else really, as long as it doesn't seem stupid or like it would cause an injury.
        Luckily I haven't been sick in a while...knock on wood. But generally after a few days I am itching to get moving again. Read your body and see how you feel. Give it a go and if it feels bad, stop and just walk. Sometimes I find that running takes my mind off being sick and helps me get better mentally. Hope you feel better soon!

~Sara
        It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great. ~ Jimmy Dugan

When I mentioned to my husband that I was going to run he rolled his eyes at me and I just wanted to see if I was jumping the gun a little comparing to what others do when they are sick, or getting better from being sick.

Michelle

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Me and my gang in Breck

I did a lot of running Saturday and Sunday. From the couch to the bathroom Tight lipped. I finally came down with my first illness this year and it was awful.

That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Neitzsche "Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go." "Dedication and commitment are what transfer dreams into reality."

I did a lot of running Saturday and Sunday. From the couch to the bathroom Tight lipped. I finally came down with my first illness this year and it was awful.
              Oh yuck!! I hope you feel better by now.

Michelle

I always run.
                Smile I was pretty sure you'd give that response. Tongue

Michelle

But generally after a few days I am itching to get moving again. Read your body and see how you feel. Give it a go and if it feels bad, stop and just walk. Sometimes I find that running takes my mind off being sick and helps me get better mentally.
                  Now I'm faced with a problem. My coed soccer team is short one of our three girls, so that means without me there will only be one girl to play and we play in a two girl on the field at all times division. So, it looks like I'll be heading to soccer tonight. That's one way to take my mind off of being sick!! Confused

Michelle

I don't, I never run if I feel even the slightest bit sick. One day off is nothing compared with the damage it could do. I've been unwell for the last couple of days.
                      The neck up? I hadn't heard that one. I just run. I'm sure there have been a few days when I felt just too awful to get out the door, but I can't remember one.

Runners run

The neck up? I hadn't heard that one. I just run. I'm sure there have been a few days when I felt just too awful to get out the door, but I can't remember one.
                        Something about if what bothers you is in your neck or higher (sinus infection, sore throat, headache etc.) then it's usually okay to run but if it's in your chest or digestive track, don't do it. Don't know, read it somewhere.

Michelle

I always run.
                          But what do you recommend for your patients - if they feel well enough to run, run, otherwise dont? Oh, wait. You probably tell them to stop being wusses and to just run through it. (Serious question, BTW! Minus the wuss part.) We all know you are haunted by monkeys and can't take a day off.
                            Okay, so I didn't run today but I did play in my soccer game tonight. First game with my new team! It was worth every second of the 40 minute game, despite feeling like I was ready for bed with my energy still lacking a bit. Everyone on this team is positive and friendly and quite skilled in soccer (some of the guys on the team have been playing for years). I know I'll be learning a lot at a fast pace, and that we'll be an awesome team that communicates and has a great time...oh, and wins, that will be a nice change. Final score 6 to 5...and to make it an even nicer win, my friend Holly scored her very first goal! On a running note: I'm running Broad Street with Holly, she's the one who convinced me to sign up for that. As for running - Tomorrow morning bright and early I'll be slipping into my New Balance and sneaking out the front door! Big grin

Michelle