Boston Marathon 2012 (Read 2370 times)

xor

As punishment for booking the geographically silly itinerary, I am stuck on a plane at LAX which closed for a bit thanks to lightning. Long day.

Ugh, try to close your eyes for a bit
      cstlrnr

I care about my time and all, but more than anything this is a four date date with my husband, while the kiddos are with grandma. 

I am jealous.  I wish my husband was coming, but he'll be home with the kids.  I'll be meeting my best friend (and her husband) there.  We will run together.  We used our same qualifying times, so our bib numbers are 12677 and 12678.   I have been avoiding checking the forecasts up until last night.  A little hotter than I was expecting.  I live in the South so it shouldn't be a big deal, but we haven't warmed up too much yet (70s today).  My plan will be to take it all in and enjoy the experience.  I didn't want to do 5 months of training to bank it all at Boston, so I ran a local marathon here back in March.  I PR'd and was happy with my time, so I feel like I can enjoy Boston.  I did however get sick and started vomiting during my last race (stupid fueling issue) so I'm definitely planning on running more cautiously since the dangers of dehydrating are still fresh in my mind.   

an amazing likeness

Good luck and best wishes to all the Boston runners! 

By qualifying and getting to Hopkinton, you've accomplishing something many of us will never achieve.  Take whatever the weather, course and day gives you and go get 'em!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

bhearn

I'm going to share some advice that I share before Boston every year. If you're a guy, wear a trash bag into the corral. Yes, even if it's 80°. Carry a wide-mouthed bottle, like maybe a Gatorade bottle you just emptied before the start. Voilà -- instant portapotty. You'll be so keyed up, and you have to wait in the corral so long, you will *really* appreciate this. Useful for any race, but especially Boston.

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

Today was a beautiful day in Boston. Sorry to those planning on a PR Monday. After watching the carnage on Boyleston last year, I think it will be a Bloodbath this year. I wish you all well. And to those who choose to challenge Mother Nature, I'll be there to bear witness.

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

Queen of 3rd Place

And what would you suggest for the ladies, bhearn?

Ex runner

bhearn

Can't help there, sorry.

Sure would have been nice to make Boston #333... in the heat.  Ah well.

Boston won't be #333?.  The next race maybe?

Good luck to all at Boston. 

My music compadre George ( on accordion over there) is running in Wave 3- give him some encouragement if you see him- his training was impacted adversly recently when he had a stent put in. (Yikes)  Might slow him a bit.

Julia1971

And what would you suggest for the ladies, bhearn?

I would suggest if you see a man wearing a trash bag on an 80 degree day, you take a big step away from him.  (I believe this is generally good advice and not marathon specific).

Julia1971

I'm going into the race not overly set on any goal, so for me it isn't so horrible to just take what I get.  I do feel bad for anyone who has been training with Boston being a huge goal race.  I hope the weather does something magical and doesn't try to melt us on race day.

I like thinking of the jacket as hot lava color!   Big grin

Congratulations on your two PR's so far this year! 

Thanks!

I do kinda feel bad for those people, too, which is probably why I was considering myself lucky for having had some good tune up races.  Plus, I'm so glass half full even I can't stand me sometimes.

Still looking forward to wearing my Sweet Jacket of Fire (and Fury)!

Kalsarikännit

My music compadre George ( on accordion over there) is running in Wave 3- give him some encouragement if you see him- his training was impacted adversly recently when he had a stent put in. (Yikes)  Might slow him a bit.

Will he be carrying the accordion?  That may help people recognize him.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

I'm going to share some advice that I share before Boston every year. If you're a guy, wear a trash bag into the corral. Yes, even if it's 80°. Carry a wide-mouthed bottle, like maybe a Gatorade bottle you just emptied before the start. Voilà -- instant portapotty. You'll be so keyed up, and you have to wait in the corral so long, you will *really* appreciate this. Useful for any race, but especially Boston.

Ya nothing like hoping off the bus (along with a bunch of other peeps) right before you roll into Hopkington where there is actually a bit of forest and trying to take a pee behind a tree with everyone on the bus watching Roll eyes because the bus ride was soooooooo long and you felt like you were sweating pee the whole time cause you had to go so bad

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

xhristopher

Here it is a couple days before Boston and my Garmin is acting up. Ugh, I've got to use my iPhone again.

Talk about first world problems...

Queen of 3rd Place

Just gotta say that this is the best tweak thread ever. 

And...thanks for nothing bhearn! Big grin

Ex runner