Mapping course grade? (Read 78 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

I was looking online  at a map of a race and it featured a color code to show the steepness of the grade along the course. Now I have used the mapping feature here to map all my runs and it provides the distances and elevation profile,but not the steepness. I mean that you can look at the elevation profile graph and see where the steepest parts of the run are, but all the graphs are not to the same scale and it is hard to compare different courses. To have a color code for slope would be helpful in planning workouts by being able to better compare different courses. I have looked online and found trigonometric  formulas to calculate grade, but it would seem rather complicated to do so for an entire course map. Better if I could just "map my run" and have it shown with colors indicating how steep the hills are along the various sections of the course. Anyone know where I could find the app that will do this? ...( Hopefully as freeware)  

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

probably not fast enough

Howdy....  I started using Strava recently due to problems with runforth, and I noticed that it tells you the grade in percent when you hover the mouse over the graph after a run..... don't know if that would be helpful, but maybe?

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Thanks for the reply subzerosolid! I looked at Strava and it appears to me to be something you would download data from a device and it would make a map. I don't run with any GPS right now, I just have courses which I have mapped and I use a watch to time my runs. I think I might have to further search online to find exactly what I want. I can always do the calculations myself if I really want to . It just seems to me if the map provides elevation detail it would not be difficult to have a program that would compute the grades. I may have to look again for that map that had the color coding and try to see where it was produced.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
        Get up, get out, get out of the door!