Soccer mileage (Read 267 times)

mrmky

Has any one worn a gps device to find out how many miles they run in a soccer game? I just played my first and it felt like a 90 minute interval workout. It felt horrible but fun, I didn't puke or pass out so I'm calling it a personal victory.

GPS is only accurate to about 30 ft, and the sampling isn't frequent enough for the quick direction changes, so it's not going to give you an accurate distance within the confines of a soccer field.  I would expect a pedometer or foot tag to be more accurate.

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

At the pro level the average midfielder logs about 10K. Unless you're playing in a very competitive league Id think your mileage to be significantly less

You people have issues 

arca

Reckon the above is about right. David Beckham was known as a particularly hard-working midfielder and would log 8-10 miles in a game. Maybe you cover half that in a less competitive game?

I will say it's a great work- out. I ran my 10k PB in 2004 and didn't consider myself any kind of a runner back then. I did one 5 mile run at the weekend and 2 or 3 games of soccer. The running is my major thing now and yet I can't get within 3 minutes of that PB. For sure, age is playing a part. I still think the bursting efforts of the football are like intervals and great for you though.

djs

PPS

Hi mrmky,

I wore my GPS a few times playing field hockey.

Here is the map link to one of those games, its interesting.  But of course not that accurate. A hockey game by the way is made up of two 35 minute halves. I guess I started the watch for the warm up, and who knows at what point I remembered to take it out of my pocket and stop it. And looking at the max speed of around 12km per hour, that's not right, you are sprinting over 50 metres many times during a game..but still its a fun map..Once I did two takes, one for each half and you can more clearly see your progress around the field, limited to your allotted area, ie left or right, attack or defence etc. In this game I cant remember but I think I was a mid field player on the same side each half, so the map of the field is pretty well covered! And yes I have been known to treat a hockey game as an interval workout, in fact I played one four days before my first half marathon for "sharpening" Seemed to work ok!

Cheers,

DJS

ps after all that I hope the link works :-)

pps anyone remember that map someone posted of a run around the deck of a cruise ship at sea..zig zaggy I think...

ppps This was masters, ie over 40s, hockey, and C grade, so yes, I covered around 8 kms, not 8 miles (including warmup and cool down)  :-)

https://www.runningahead.com/logs/2cb03b7aae4c45d596e43d18bcc8edd7/workouts/8a919e32833e490bb830046bd61b5139/map

Julia1971

Hey DJS, I play field hockey, too!  Well, not as much anymore now that I'm in to running.  Smile

On the occasions I've worn my Garmin, I was surprised at how little mileage it showed.  I usually play wing and I think it's because I'm doing a lot more standing and walking than running.  If I were playing center mid or something, I would guess it would be a lot more.  I'm not always good at starting and stopping it the moment I get into a game, but during practices/scrimmages last summer, it showed a little more than 2 miles for 39 minutes of play and a little less than 3 miles for 53 minutes.  So, 18:45-18:55 pace overall.  I play for it, though.  I'm sore to the point of not being able to run for a few days when I start playing again.  I hate falling out of hockey shape.

MrH

It will vary significantly by position, and level of play of course.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Cyberic

I play floor hockey ( indoors, so GPS is useless ), but a 50 minutes game sure feels like a very hard intervals workout to me. We play 3 vs 3  ( goalies not included ) and don't hold a particular position. We play a moving triangle of two defensemen one attacker when the opposing team has the ball, and two attackers one defenseman when we have the ball. When a defenseman moves forward, an attacker moves to defense.

But the point being mileage, I would say the figures already mentioned must be about right, but I would consider those miles as an intervals workout

Reckon the above is about right. David Beckham was known as a particularly hard-working midfielder and would log 8-10 miles in a game. Maybe you cover half that in a less competitive game?

I would think just the opposite.  In the pro leagues there is so much ball control that there is very little unnecessary running.  In recreational leagues it is just the opposite,  lots of ball chasing due to poor ball control.

I don't know how many miles, but you can count the total time spent during the game.  50 minute game is 50 minute interval workout, in my book.  That includes all the times spent with hands on knees, feeling like the end of the world is near.

djs

Hi mrmky, I have no proof, but I think playing and training for hockey over the years ( I've played every year since 1979 or 1980) has given me some speed I otherwise would have lacked. Given this I have considered counting hockey miles as running miles, say as an interval workout, Its just a bit tricky with wearing the gps. Some chance of getting hit on the watch, or collision or falling on it if its in a pocket for instance so I haven't made a regular practice of recording the miles. I just have a couple of workout types for the different competitions I play. Soccer would give the same benefits of course.

...and one more hockey thing for Julia and Cyberic maybe, the Hockey World Cup is starting in the Hague at the end of this week, its being televised free to air here, so looking forward to some good hockey on TV! Looks like they got in early before the slightly more popular soccer world cup :-)

here's some distance & top speed stats from the Arsenal vs United game back in Feb:

source: EA Sports player performance

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

MrH

Most of the top teams in hockey wear GPS devices and there is quite a bit of data published on time spent at different speeds and total distance.

Here's one study on female elite hockey. The range was large, between 3.4 and 9.5km in a 70 minute game with the midfielders doing the most. I haven't read the report and don't know how rolling subs factor into this.

I'm going to the World Cup in the Netherlands. Heading over this weekend for a couple of weeks.  For US viewers, all games can be seen live on the FIH Youtube channel or streamed on ESPN 3.

The process is the goal.

Men heap together the mistakes of their lives, and create a monster they call Destiny.

Cyberic

Hi miles

...and one more hockey thing for Julia and Cyberic maybe, the Hockey World Cup is starting in the Hague at the end of this week, its being televised free to air here, so looking forward to some good hockey on TV! Looks like they got in early before the slightly more popular soccer world cup :-)

Thanks but it's the NHL playoffs right now and I am spending way too much time watching the television. My home team faces elimination tonight though. But thanks for the info Smile

I wore my Garmin while playing a 50 min indoor soccer game.  I play mid and run quite a bit.  Clocked between 4-5 miles - seemed about right.

Ready, go.