Developing My Stride (Read 153 times)

Hey there,

New member to this forum. Was wondering if I could get some insight into a recent injury issue I've been having...

Lately, I've been focusing on my running posture, i.e. not slouching, running with a level head (rather than craning my neck like I'm drowning and gasping for my last breath -Even if sometimes that's what running feels like), keeping my hips straight, and flexing my ankle to create a force with which to push off.

Out of all of these points, it's the latter which has got me stumped. When I do what I believe is flexing my ankle, it completely throws off my balance, unintentionally increases my pace, and in turn leaves me out of breath after 1 lap (out of 10!). Additionally, since focusing on my foot work, I have developed a stabbing pain in my left thigh only, up near my hip on the outer side. I don't quite know how to describe the pain, other than it feeling tight and what I imagine dislocation or someone stabbing you in the leg must feel like.

Any tips on proper foot work and injury reduction?

Thanks!

Feeling the growl again

You're focused on the wrong thing.  Most of the force for running should come from your glutes, with lesser contributions from your quads.  Pushing off with your foot using your calves, in all but sprints, is about the last thing you need to be focusing on.  It's throwing you off because trying to maximize that is not natural.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Why is it sideways?

The best way to work on your stride is through drills, short and steep hill bursts, regular controlled tempo runs, core strength, flexibility, and plain old mileage.

I am skeptical of work done on the stride through thinking about stride and especially through the footstrike. Good form is built the old-fashioned way -- by being strong, fit, powerful, and coordinated, from the inside out.

Trying to think or feel your way to good form is like trying to imagine away the weight of a heavy barbell. The barbell is lifted through strength -- and the smooth, swift, and efficient runner is built the same way.

JPF

I have nothing to add other than to say that I am probably the least happy running when I am actively worrying about my stride.

Thanks for the insightful responses, guys! I must admit, I'm relieved to hear that focussing on my foot work while running is counter productive, because it was completely throwing me off. I suppose I will go back to running in a way that feels natural.

Jeff - I do strength exercises in between running days. Hopefully that is helping to built the strength I need to perform when running. Thanks for the tip!

Jeff - I do strength exercises in between running days. Hopefully that is helping to built the strength I need to perform when running. Thanks for the tip!

Not knowing your running background, I'll just add that to be able to do Hill Sprints and Hill repeats correctly you need a certain aerobic ability otherwise your form will fall apart pretty quickly. This is why Lydiard method has you running base mileage for 8-10 weeks or longer before the hill phase. The hill phase then helps with the speed phase that follows by developing your stride.

Also strength training may not help with running by itself but may help with preventing injuries while helping you maintain form as well.

Troy.

I'm not sure what strength exercises you're doing on days off from running, but I'll recommend these for days when you are running:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULwtgZA5wAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLFv2P5_tLk

It should be mathematical, but it's not.

L.Chang

This is a very helpful thread and I'm glad I stumbled upon it. Although I have nothing to add, I'll definitely pass this information forward. Thanks!