What training plan is better? (Read 192 times)

kpripper

Hello, what automatic training plan is better for beginner (now 2 hours/halfmarathon): by Polar, Strava or McMillan?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Jack Daniels or Hanson’s.

Are you training for a 2 hour half marathon or is that where you’re at and you want to train for a different distance?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jack Daniels

Wow I thought you were done with him.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

kpripper

2 hours is my current time and I want to improve the result in that distance. But I can only choose between training plans by Polar, Strava or McMillan.

Does Jack Daniels provide automatic workout plans?

Christirei

you can go to the library and check out Jack Daniel's stuff with his training plans in the books

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jack Daniels isn't the best plan for someone who needs a day by day approach to a plan. I would look towards Pftiz's road running.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

an amazing likeness

2 hours is my current time and I want to improve the result in that distance. But I can only choose between training plans by Polar, Strava or McMillan.

What is your definition of "better" in this context?  Are you currently running lots of miles, and need the training plan to add structure? Or are you lacking base miles and want the training plan to help you structure more miles?  Decide what's going to have the most impact to your half marathon performance, then compare the plans to see how each lines up with that need.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Most of the training plans typically tend to be oriented towards  higher mileage and faster runners, except the beginner plans, which are just good enough to get you to the finish line, but you already know you can finish a Half.

While many would want a plan to guide what to do next, or exactly how to structure week by week progression, I can never follow a plan and have give up on most plans I started by about the 6th week.  I typically have too many interruptions with life/job getting in the way and I cannot get back on track.

As a fellow 2 hour half marathoner, what works for me though is having a rough idea of mileage I plan to run the next month, and if I can achieve or exceed that goal, I typically do OK in the race.  For a half that would be about 30-35 miles a week, or 125-140 miles a month.  I ran my 1:50 ish Half when I consistently ran 40 miles a week for about 3-4 months.  Once you get to that mileage level, then it makes sense to follow a more structured plan with speed, hill, tempo and long workouts. Until then just run as much as you can while making sure you are not over doing it, vary your mileage and intensity, keeping easy runs easy so you can run hard workouts (no more than 2 a week) hard.  Easy can be pace or duration. Take at least one day completely off each week or just walk one or two days a week.  Every 3-4  weeks cut back on the mileage and pick back up the following week.

kpripper

Thank you all.

My current mileage is 25 miles a week (run) and 50-60 miles (bike).

MelissaPetty

one good run guide, hope that helpful

rlopez

"But I can only choose between training plans by Polar, Strava or McMillan."

Why?

Don't those cost money?

I usually glance at Higdon's simply for them being Free.

PS- I love the idea of following a training plan to a T.

but given my schedule of late, that simply would not work, I do sometimes wonder, if runners, read the training plans vs. learning them...

Good luck! let us know what you decide and how it ends up!

300m- 37 sec.

T Hound

Slower but happier

I think Daniels would be overly complicated for 2h half. At least when ive tried his 2Q Marathon plan it seemed more advanced/demanding.  Tbh haven’t looked at his half plan. (Though I'm slow and stupid).

Pfitz is easy to grasp, has different total mileage plans. I would check them out.  Buy books or get library.  I wouldn't just download it and follow it.

The best plan is one you can stick to or no plan at all. Or at least be very flexible.

Not sure about those automatic plans.

Hello, what automatic training plan is better for beginner (now 2 hours/halfmarathon): by Polar, Strava or McMillan?

2020 goal:  couch to 5K, currently working on the couch block

SMART Approach

Does Jack Daniels provide automatic workout plans?

Message me. I will email you my G.A.I.T. Half Marathon plan. It would be perfect for you and has 14 weeks of structure. No charge.  Or find it for free on I LOVE TO RUN Facebook community site

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Buy a used copy of Advanced Marathoning by Pete Pfitzinger. You can get one for around $5 or less than a burger meal. It's filled with very good and easy to follow training schedules as well as lots of training and racing advice. That will be good for you for many years to come. After you've had a dozen marathons under your belt, you can try Hansons plans or just stick with the Pfitzinger plans..

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental