A quick Altra Zero Drop 101 (Read 128 times)

Shopdog11

Hi All!

I have noticed some banter about Altra and more specifically the new maximal cushioned Olympus (releasing late this month BTW).

I work for Altra, and I thought I would help shed some light on characteristics of Altra shoes that maintain Altra's core Values, while hitting different categories on the shoe wall.

Core Values:

1.Zero-Drop (this requires definition)  Altra measures the stack height of the shoe moving forward from the heel at the 10% mark and the 71% mark to verify and validate zero drop.  These locations are under the weight bearing portions of the heel, and the metatarsal heads.

2. Foot Shaped - in order to allow toes to splay naturally as they would under load.

3. Fully cushioned

Some members here are right, the shoe is rockered at the toe, or tapered, in order to facilitated the shoe to feel quick and lively.  Shoes with  this much cushion just will not leave the ground with any efficiency if not for toe rocker.

The major difference between the Olympus and the other shoes from Hoka in this category is the flexibility of the Altra.  Hoka NEEDS to rocker the sole, because it is inflexible. (Side note) no Hoka we have EVER measured the drop on has been less that 6mm.) The only reason the shoe moves forward is because if this rocker.

The Altra Olympus is tapered AND flexible, allowing the appropriate lower leg muscles to be engaged and employed to run more naturally.

Hoka is a great tool.....we like Hoka for what it stands for, and for the Category it single handily created in the market.  We would much rather see them succeed than others. Smile

What we feel the market needed was a healthier, more naturally functioning entry in this category......truth be told our customers basically demanded it.

I hope this helps with the Olympus, and please, I would love to have a discussion about Altra with anyone, at anytime!

FYI, you will see some major players in the Ultra Marathon world soon making full time transitions to Altra shoes....specifically because of the Olympus.  Stay tuned!

Ostrich runner

Feel free to message me for my address, I'd be happy to try some free shoes and verify everything you say. 

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/Indy/forum

reachjer

What kind of outsoles do the Olympus have? Are they aggressive than the Lone Peaks, or more similar to the Superiors?

If they are like the Lone Peaks, has the durability been changed at all? I have a pair of Lone Peak 1.5 and I think they're great on the trails, but after 200 miles I'm missing bits and pieces of the lugs in the red section. Along with some toe cap delamination I'm not so sure they'll last another 200, maybe as a road shoe.