I did it! longest run to date! And my fastest! (Read 845 times)

redleaf

Yippie! I am doing a 13 week learn to run schedule. Although I wasn't exactly sedentary before I started (I played hockey 3 - 5 games a week as a goalie) I didn't really watch what I was eating (beer, chocolate are still my downfalls) and so after a few weeks of no hockey due to an injury I finally decided enough was enough and went back to a book my DH bought me a while ago (DH thinks I'm crazy but goes along with pretty much anything I want to do). Last week I started week 6. It is supposed to be: walk 1 minute run 5 minutes x 8 plus 5 minutes each warm up and cool down. I did 5 cycles okay but just died during the 6th. Day 1 is the hardest of the three days for each week so I did Days 2 and 3 and then re-attempted Day 1 today. And I did it! I stayed on the treadmill so I could watch the olympics (love housesitting at mom and dads!) and because I just haven't had time to figure out the d&^&ed garmin yet. I varied the speed so that I wouldn't get too hung up on it. Went between 4.1 and 4.5 for the run. And my second half was faster than the first half! I did add an extra minute in the middle (to turn on the air conditioning) Dropped down to 3 for the walk. yippie! Now I'm watching a friend interview one of the Canadian divers on the CBC and then I'm gonna go jump in the shower. If what I eat the night before is to be followed though I'm in trouble! Pizza and beer!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Chris UK

Good for you and keep going. Just over 2 years ago I was in the couldn't run half-a-mile league so consistency will reap rewards if you stick at it.

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Good for you. Nice to hear of another crazy person goalie on here. If you ever figure out a way to run and play hockey on the same day without being awful in net, let me know.
        redleaf

Thanks. I think I'm a little excited because I couldn't do it last week. As for playing in net ... I meet with the surgeon on Friday and he should let me know my chances for returning. I missed this summer's season and I might miss most of next year too as non-emergency surgery can take a while to schedule. My wrists are kinda wonky - they're both pretty bad CTS but the right (stick side) is miserable.

HF #4362

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Nice job, redleaf! Like Chris said, consistency is the name of the game! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Giants Fan

Congrats!

"I think I've discovered the secret of life- you just hang around until you get used to it."

Charles Schulz

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Way to go! Keep up the great work.
                Lu481

Well done Redleaf, Keep it up and soon you'll be running a few miles at a time.
                  redleaf

Thanks everyone. I know I can do the rest of week 6 so I looked ahead and Day 1 of week 7 is: walk 1 minute run 10 minutes x 5 needless to say I'm a little anxious about the whole thing (go ten minutes in a row? and then do it again? ha!). DH and I bought a new place recently (our first actually... anyway) and there's a squash court downstairs so we went and bought starter racquets today and everything. So now I am supposed to add squash to the mix. I've never played squash in my life. Ever. So I did what I do. I bought a book! hehehe okay back to the women's triathlon...

HF #4362

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Just don't get down on yourself if you CAN'T do what the program calls for. I had to repeat several of the Couch to 5K weeks. I didn't care, because I was still improving each week. I got there eventually!
                      celiacChris

3Days4Cure

Just don't get down on yourself if you CAN'T do what the program calls for. I had to repeat several of the Couch to 5K weeks. I didn't care, because I was still improving each week. I got there eventually!
                        She is dead on. I had to repeat many weeks in C25k. Congratulations on your progress--it is a feat to get out there and work through the program. Brag often! Chris

Chris
                        PRs: 27:26 5k/ 49:52 5mi/ 58:17 10k/ 2:09:24 half/ 5:13:17 Full

Post-Bipolar PRs: 38:35 5k/ 1:09:34 8k/ 1:09:39 5mi/ 1:33:03 10k/ 3:20:40 Half

2022 Goals

Back to 10k