Personal proof that running easy works (Read 1419 times)

Did you keep your mileage up, too?
    I did, was in the high 40s, low 50s. I enjoyed the period immensely, allowing myself to not "have" to do tempos or intervals, but afterwards, wished I'd at least done something speedier every couple of weeks. Not everyone's the same though, I read a lot of threads on this subject and while some people come out ahead with a long period of easy, I need that little push to pepper my workouts. This coming winter, I'll just make sure I add some weekly strides.
      Noteye...keep up the good work. Be patient during the hot summer months, and once fall comes around you will really see paces drop. Smile
      Thanks, Docster. I'll do my best at being patient. I'm definitely looking forward to fall. I've got my eyes on a certain bridge that I met last year for the first time.
      Brandon
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Looks like a tough bridge! I like the name of it: Savannah River Bridge Run (run/walk/crawl).
          Looks like a tough bridge! I like the name of it: Savannah River Bridge Run (run/walk/crawl).
          It's the only one I've ever run, but it's a fairly steep, fairly long one. I ran (and will run again) the 5k. The 10k goes over twice, and for the very brave, there's the Double Pump, where you run both the 5k and the 10k. They start 40 minutes apart, so you run them sequentially. Not this year, but maybe next year I'll give that a go.
          Brandon
          JimR

This is a good time to reference Letsrun's Summer of Malmo thread. George Malley (malmo) is a big proponent of running doubles. He came up with the 'Summer of Malmo' concept after an injury and needing to rebuild during the summer. He also recognized a hole in the summer training of most high school and collegiate runners who either do nothing all summer and hit XC season unprepared or over train and are toasted by fall. According to George, anyone can benefit from it as off-season tool regardless of your level, if you follow the spirit of the concept. You run a lot (doubles when you can), you keep 2 quality sessions in your week (one interval workout, one tempo workout) but neither workout is as hard as you normally do...keep them manageable, and finally you run everything else easy and relaxed. Group runs for motivation are part of the concept as well but not a requirement. It is not meant to train you, it is meant to prepare you for training. The quality sessions keep you from getting stale, the easy running keeps you from overdoing it and the volume preps your base. You spend the summer at it, and when fall approaches you start your race focused training. You don't need to be a 130 mpw person to do this, just adjust it to fit. It's all good.
              I did, was in the high 40s, low 50s. I enjoyed the period immensely, allowing myself to not "have" to do tempos or intervals, but afterwards, wished I'd at least done something speedier every couple of weeks. Not everyone's the same though, I read a lot of threads on this subject and while some people come out ahead with a long period of easy, I need that little push to pepper my workouts. This coming winter, I'll just make sure I add some weekly strides.
              I had that problem a few years ago in an icy winter and regretted it. It took me 2-3 months to get back to where I had been - and I don't do any speedwork anyway. I've found I have to keep some either higher effort or more leg speed in my runs or workouts - about every 2 wks. Since I run hills and on snowshoes, high effort and leg speed can be very different. Maybe just 5 minutes if that's all the traction I can muster. I do a running-specific xt class (sub-max plyos, agility, etc) in early winter so that takes care of those harder or quicker needs. But sometimes between Feb and April or mid-May (breakup), it's hard to get the desired workouts. I try as best I can to either lengthen or intensify the workouts the closer I get to mid-May when first races occur, which this year were about 1 wk after the rocks became snow free. I've had one of my better years so far this year. Not necessarily faster, but I can hold what I've got longer, and be able to run again the next day instead of being a cripple for a few days after a race. Volume, including hills, helps more than faster work - at least for me.
              "So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
                Wow, great thread. I'm a novice runner. Been running for years but only began training a year ago. I'm convinced I need a HRM now. I've successfully shortened my stride but I still run too fast too often and get shin splints. It's so hard to slow down!!! Angry. Even when I start slow, I always speed up without realizing it. I also play hockey and I think my cardio fitness is ahead of my bone/tendon/joint fitness. HRM would be a good governor on the throttle.

Hawt and sexy

Whoa. I though I was in the LHR group for a bit. Easy running has made me a much better runner. I do a tom of easy miles and my race times are getting better and better. I am a HR type of girl, so my paces varies a bit from day to day. I don't dwell on my training pace much. Race day is what matters to me. So far, so good.

I'm touching your pants.

Man in Tights

I looked at your log. You sure are putting in the miles. and you're getting faster. It's just that