Best PF insert? (Read 702 times)

I'm at the beginning of yet another injury... perhaps this is not the sport for me? Anyway, my left foot has started in with a light bout of Plantar Fasciitis. I've looked through the old posts on this site for info, and have found good ideas for treatment (icing, golf balls, etc.) However, info on effective inserts/orthotics are scattered and varies widely. What inserts have you found that helped the most with PF? I bought these at a local store.

-------------------------------------
    5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
    10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
    1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
    Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

Nate, I think there is a post regarding PF a little further down, and JK posts about Superfeet Greens that he says cured him of a LONG BATTLE with PF... after trying everything under the sun.... ?? Wink

Life Goal- Stay Cancer Free, Live my Best Life

" Choose Joy, Today and ALWAYS" 

sdewan

2010 Goofy Trainee

I used to wear green superfeet, and they were pretty good at controlling my PF, although i'd still have occasional pain. My PF didn't go completely away until I got custom orthotics. Be careful with off-the-shelf insoles. Insufficient arch support or support in the wrong place can do serious damage to your foot. My wife was happily using OTS arch supports with the Saucony Triumph 3 and 4's and having no problems. Then when she started using the Triumph 5 she started having very bad PF. She continued trying to run for several weeks and the damage grew worse. Her podiatrist said she may need surgery in the future. The guy at RoadRunner Sports evaluated her Triumph 5's against her foot and concluded that the way the shoe fits her, it was supporting the arch in the wrong place, thus damaging her PF. A different model of shoes has helped her tremendously since then. So I think you need to choose the best insoles for you, not what has worked for other people. A competent running store salesman should be able to help you.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream...

Yeah the Superfeet Greens don't work for me. They actually make my foot hurt worse. I guess I have weird arches...all of the off-the-shelf inserts that I've tried feel OK at first then are really uncomfortable for me after wearing them for a little while. I haven't wanted to shell out the $$ for customs just yet. My recent knee problem has sidelined me enough that I kinda forgot about the foot.
          JakeKnight

Nate, I think there is a post regarding PF a little further down, and JK posts about Superfeet Greens that he says cured him of a LONG BATTLE with PF... after trying everything under the sun....
            They were a miracle cure for me. Here's the thread, but all I say is that same thing, over and over: http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/a2c3bfddf85f4e369b1138c9161b21fc We're all different. Find what works for you. But don't be afraid to try things. I had the Superfeet recommended to me by Fleet Feet months before I finally got them at JGoldsborough's suggestion. Don't be me. Don't wait. I was in pain for months that I didn't need to be. Speaking of JGoldsborough, I shouldn't volunteer him - but he really does know his stuff on shoes and feet. He's been helpful to quite a few people. If you don't have a shoe guy you like, you might start by asking him some questions.

E-mail: eric.fuller.mail@gmail.com
            -----------------------------

I recommend trying the Superfeet too. I did not have PF but have low arches and suffered from shin splints and pain in the big toe and top of the foot. Tried spenco arch supports in a neutral shoe and things were better but pain lingered. The superfeet have been a godsend. First time in a year I've been running pain free. They have a money-back guarantee so it's a no-risk trial. Worth a try before investing hundreds of dollars in a custom ortho. The other thing I did was change to a neutral shoe - the ASICS Landreth. I also just bought a pair of ASICS Fortitudes - they're a bit wider in the midfoot to accomodate the orthotic.

pitrunner

Ditto on the Superfeet greens. For me, they've worked just as well, if not better, than the 2 sets of custom orthotics I've had made. And they were certainly a lot cheaper.
                  Wow, that's pretty much across the board support for the Superfeet Greens. Oddly, the greens didn't work for greenrunning. Anyway, things are mild so far but if they don't improve after a week or so, I'll order these as step 2. Thanks for the input.

-------------------------------------
                  5K - 18:25 - 3/19/11
                  10K - 39:38 - 12/13/09
                  1/2 - 1:29:38 - 5/30/10
                  Full - 3:45:40 - 5/27/07

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

The guy at Fleet Feet told me that the green Superfeet are for lower arches, and the blue ones for higher arches, so which is appropriate (if either) depends on your arch -- and that you find the right size by finding the one that supports you heel just--darn, I forget, either at or behind the Navicular bone in the foot. He said if the support is ahead of the desired point, it may feel fine and good, but it doesn't do any good at alleviating the pressure.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.