How do you prevent running injuries? (Read 321 times)

BimBamBooh

As I started to run by feeling and listen my body, I have no injuries for the last 2 years.

kilkee

runktrun

Leave the Garmin at home.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.

Most running injuries can be reduced to a simple equation: Running too far, too fast, too soon = injury.

I can simplify the equation a little for you. Running = injury.

gorunn12

Been running races since 1980 and for the second time in that period, have(had) an injury that prevented me from running.  In 88 while training for the NYC Marathon, during a 1/2 marathon I felt a twinge in my foot. Turned out to be plantar fascia and it prevented me from running in the race.  I was training for the Bryce Canyon 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks and felt a twinge in my hamstring.  I've been rehabbing it for the past month and was finally able to run 11 miles this morning!  In summation, been able to run pretty much injury free by listening to my body and not overdoing what I know I'm capable of.  Running is too much of a great thing for the mind and body to NOT go without it!

k

quackquackapp

I'm pretty certain that no app could ever be developed that could convince a runner not to run. We all listen to our senses,  fully understand we probably shouldn't run, and run anyway.

Thats very true

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

"Hi, I'm studying at a university and interested in learning by leveraging technology and the collective wisdom of people participating in a specific activity"

RA Response: 

I do tend to train through injury, as others have suggested. I'm presently nursing a left knee problem that may or may not be ITBS. Yet I keep pushing.

Whether healthy or injured, I do take a variable heart rate reading each morning (I use the "Elite HRV" mobile app).

I do not listen to its feedback in absolute terms, but I am influenced by it.

I will still run if I'm "in the red" - but I will delay speed work until I'm back in the yellow or green.

For me, HRV isn't strictly about injury prevention as much as maximizing the benefits of any actual work I can talk myself into doing whilst running.

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

Hey maybe when you're done with the app that prevents running injuries by telling people when they need to take time off, you can create some kind of diet app that tells people when they've eaten enough for the day.

Leah, mother of dogs

bdub

Shoe Alarmist

Hey maybe when you're done with the app that prevents running injuries by telling people when they need to take time off, you can create some kind of diet app that tells people when they've eaten enough for the day.

Hey maybe when you're done with this thread you can address other imagined affronts and follies on the internet. 

mikeymike

The best way to prevent running injuries is to not train very hard. Elite performance isn't healthy.

Runners run

runnershawn

Wow, finally I am in good shape = let's see how fast and far i can go now = Wow, I am injured now

heal

repeat

= Insanity

Good Luck

timmystevenson

Well, what type of injuries are you talk about? The one consistent injury that I get that really prevents me from running is chafing. Now I know this can be summarizes as a discomfort rather than an injury,  if you are running long long runs like I do (10 miles a day) this chafing can turn into bleeding real quick. That's why I use a chafing powder before every run and I make sure that I am completely dry before I put it on. It might seem like not a big deal, but it quickly can before a real problem if you don't know how to take preventive measures.  When I when on my 10 mile run and I was bleeding do to too much chafing, I had to take three days to recover and I still had scabbing. I was still running slow and not getting the distance or time that I wanted. Ever since I have been using Anti Monkey Butt, I got a better time, I'm not injured, I make a better distance, and I'm happier. Make sure you look into a calamine powder. For the ladies that can't use talcum powder, check out a cornstarch product like this one and get the same solution to chafing without worrying about getting ovarian cancer. Great post and thread,

don't get old.

Get off my porch

catwhoorg

Labrat

don't get old.

It does beat the alternative.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

Daydreamer1

It does beat the alternative.

Yep. Considering that the alternative often means a meeting with a nice Paramedic and/or EMT who laugh at the shit you just did to your self  followed by the Coroner slicing you up in pieces  then shipping you off to the undertaker for him or her to play with what remains .

I'm choosing to continue to get old and grumpy