2018 3:20 (and beyond) (Read 582 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Thanks all.  I'm just so happy.

Race report is here.  https://wellimtryingtorun.blogspot.com/2018/06/race-report-grandmas-marathon-june-16.html

Rovatti - thanks - if you could message me moose's email I would like to collect the mug.  Or maybe I'll just buy my own Smile

RLK - I think your teammate is the sister of my teammate - Bridget, right?  (her sister Mollie runs with us).

My week was 35 miles of running and 11 miles of pool-running:
    M: 6 "miles" pool-running and DIY yoga plus very light upper body weights and core.
    T: 9 miles.  3 mile warm-up (8:26), 4x800 in 2:59, 3:01, 2:58, 2:52, 2.5 mile cool-down (9:01) plus very light injury prevention work.
    W: 5 very easy (8:53) plus drills and strides, plus DIY yoga and very light upper body weights/core.
    Th: Travel to Duluth; DIY yoga.
    F: 2 miles very easy (8:56) plus DIY yoga.
    Sa: half mile warm-up (8:43) and then a marathon in 3:02:58 (6:59 pace)
    Su: Travel back to DC.  5 "miles" pool-running with belt.

Will catch up on shout outs later.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

ooh, dwave, reading your RR (i am in the middle of it) reminds me that you are a UCAN person.

they recently became a nutrition sponsor for my team. (before having used the product, since i am not running far/hard enough right now to justify it), i can't decide how i feel about them. their marketing tries to show that they are very into science behind how nutrition works and that differentiates them from other companies, but the only piece of peer-reviewed research that they've ever done was a study comparing UCAN to maltodextrin (which is not a direct competitor) in 9 male, 30y/o cyclists, and they measured a bunch of metabolic stuff. the rest of their scientific basis is position papers written by them, or anecdotes about diabetics etc. i got to talk to a dietitian who hired them and also a salesperson of theirs, who both claimed (to my all-female team) that women's bodies process energy stores differently than men's - more difficult to draw on fat as energy store as opposed to carbs. so i asked them if they'd ever studied the efficacy of UCAN on women, or runners, or more than 9 athletes, etc. and their answer was no.

sooo ... tell me what you think of UCAN, in terms of your anecdotal usage, and also have you ever done further research on it? how/when do you use it? any other thoughts?

thanks!

and yes!! ha, i didn't know she has a sister in DC. neat! hers is certainly a running family. i actually just started working with their dad as my coach... more on that later (meetings now)

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

OMR

Dwave:  Awesome RR, and I know exactly what you mean by...  "But running in the mist, punctuated by the rhythm of our foot steps, was different and special."  Congrats again!

seattlemax

Duke Of Bad Judgment

Quick drive-by to tell Darkwave congrats (aka "F-ing A!") on her race.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Greetings;

I am a 52 year old, male runner having completed 7 marathons, qualifying for last years Boston Marathon with a 3:27:32.

Last August while training for a fall race I broke down with Achilles tendonitis in both ankles. After almost 9 months of rest (achilles are still not 100%) I have just started training for the 2018 Mohawk-Hudson Marathon in October.

My goals is to finish this race, run a respectable Spring 2019 marathon and then re-qualify for Boston at the 2019 Wineglass Marathon next fall.

Welcome to the mix. Don’t be shy. Expect to be invited to hang out with some of us if you’re in the area. Sounds like a good plan to keep mileage up while minimizing injuries.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

haha. yes, i will find some quirky way to inform Big grin

probably less elevation compared to (presumably) previous week?

sorry, i've been bad at keeping up. what is this weekend?

NeRP and I are home alone. For the first time...in forever. Mom won’t be home for two nights. I’d say two sleeps but I might nap between Friday and Sunday. Currently trying to front load the week and figure out what we have to eat that won’t gain me 4 pounds in a weekend.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

RLK - I'm kinda mixed on Ucan.  It's marketed as race morning fuel for those who don't or can't eat a full breakfast.  But it makes me nauseous when I take it, and running right after drinking it has proven explosive both times I tried it.

At the same time, i usually eat a light dinner or nothing at all, and so using Ucan for dinner the night before made sense, as a way to get more carbs in during the last 24 hours.  I'd get nauseous from it, but the nausea would always settle overnight, and I'd feel great in the morning.

Of course, then I cut it out this time around, and I run a 6 minute PR, so.....

I think some people like Ucan and have success with it - especially if you can't handle solid food before a race.  But it's definitely not the Vaporfly of pre-race nutrition.

Alistair - welcome.  I've heard great things about Mohawk-Hudson and was supposed to run it last year, but had to DNS after my cat got sick.

If you look at the very start of this thread, you'll see a link to an introductions thread - you can read that if you want to catch up on who we all are.

Brewing - I really think it's important to take nutrition during your marathon pace work, so that you know that what you are taking will work for you.   And I don't mean take your nutrition when you stop to pee or refill your water bottle.  I mean take it while running at MP.  Eating while running reasonably hard takes some practice.

Jim - I sometimes find he recovery jog after workouts to be hard as well.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Strict WTF adherent

RLK - I'm kinda mixed on Ucan.  It's marketed as race morning fuel for those who don't or can't eat a full breakfast.  But it makes me nauseous when I take it, and running right after drinking it has proven explosive both times I tried it.

I grabbed a few single serving packs from my LRS. My early take: It tastes like butt.

Nice avatar.

Alistair - Welcome. From your choice of races, I'm assuming you're in the northeast. We'll also need to know your preferred shoe color.

Going to try some "speedwork" today. Expect whining later.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Alistair - Welcome!

DWave - I enjoyed the RR, awesome job again. The avatar change did not go unnoticed. Nice.

Brew - Enjoy the time alone with NeRP. Ramen Noodles? NeRP would probably have a lot of fun with a bowl of those.

I got in a solid T run this morning, which was really nice after so much down time. The football team showed up and started some warm-ups while I was going around the track. On one hand seeing kids wearing shirts that say "Seniors 2021" made me feel old, but having finished the workout part of my run and being well into a cool-down before they even showed up to practice was a boost.

My track coaching hawk showed up again today just before I started my first T segment. It landed right in front of me and shook the fence with more force than I anticipated. She (a juvenile, female red-tailed hawk) left pretty soon after I started my T work, and didn't show back up until I was doing my cool-down. The obvious implications being that either I was doing so well I didn't need any coaching, or that I am just beyond the help of any coaching. I did get a closer look this time, making a good 6+ passes from within ~8ft.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

ilanarama

Pace Prophet

Going to try some "speedwork" today. Expect whining later.

Me too.  And, me too.

Arvind Balaraman

I have been using UCAN since Feb this year. Used it for all my half and my longs runs each week. So far I am happy with it. Once scoop lasts for approximately 13 miles or 1:45 hrs. I start feeling hungry after 1:45.  I start running immediately after I drink UCAN. I dont wait 30 min. so far did not have any nausea or GT issues. But I dont run as fast as you

At the same time, i usually eat a light dinner or nothing at all, and so using Ucan for dinner the night before made sense, as a way to get more carbs in during the last 24 hours.  I'd get nauseous from it, but the nausea would always settle overnight, and I'd feel great in the morning.

Of course, then I cut it out this time around, and I run a 6 minute PR, so.....

I think some people like Ucan and have success with it - especially if you can't handle solid food before a race.  But it's definitely not the Vaporfly of pre-race nutrition.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Brewing - I really think it's important to take nutrition during your marathon pace work, so that you know that what you are taking will work for you.   And I don't mean take your nutrition when you stop to pee or refill your water bottle.  I mean take it while running at MP.  Eating while running reasonably hard takes some practice.

Kinda what I'm telling myself. I haven't eaten at race pace for a while. I can't say I've had problems previously however it's a good skill to remember...including how NOT to spill cliff shots all over the ground. Guess I'll need to buy some gels.

Jim Did I read correctly? You're doing Chicago as well?

ucan I just can't see a reason to use it. Plus there is some triathle blog/vlogger I listened to for a while. Her voice annoyed me and the way she pushed it as if it's the only thing you'll improve with turned me off. If they have no scientific research I can see why rlk wouldn't trust it too much. Honestly...it's kind of a "do what your body tells you or likes" kind of thing to me.

VDOT 53.37 

mattw4jc

...We'll also need to know your preferred shoe color....

My preferred shoe color is clear(ance).

rlk ~ I use UCAN. My anecdotal assessment is that the real benefit from UCAN comes from consistent use over an extended period of time. I think you then (very, very!) slowly adapt to more efficient fuel management. In other words, the more regularly you use it, the more you benefit.

Alistair - welcome

DkW ~ Love the new avatar!

OMR

Alistair:  Welcome!  I'm coming off of about 4.5 months of rest...can't imagine 9 months, ugh!

dex:  Hi!  What're you up to these days?  We'll see about the WS qualifying attempt.  Quite a ways to go at this point before seriously considering it, but I'm dangling the imaginary carrot in my brain.

Brew:  Thanks, the motivation is gradually returning.  Nice week.  I tried Clif Shot Bloks once during a marathon and discovered they were difficult to chew at MP after 18 miles, and I nearly gagged on them.  FYI, when I was running high mileage, I routinely took fuel during runs, because I thought I recovered more quickly for the next day having not depleted myself quite as much.

rlk:  13.4.  Nice...I'm jealous!

Jim:  Yes and she's kicking my arse!  That's a lot of T in that workout!

Dwave:  +1 to Dad on the avatar!

McBen:  "It tastes like butt."  Interesting...

Keen:  Speaking of things making you feel old, a friend of my mom's saw a photo of me with one of our college grads and asked if that was my daughter, or maybe my granddaughter.  Ouch.  Nice T work this morning!

ilana:  Good luck with the speed work.  Right now, my speed work = easy pace.