Hydration Packs (Read 112 times)

napalmer927

So I've been using a Dakine hydration pack that was made for biking for the past few years. I mostly just do ultra marathons, so I need something with a decent amount of storage space for long training runs. All the running packs I have looked at hardly have any storage space for food and extra clothing in case it gets warmer, cooler, or rains. I live in Colorado and the weather in the mountains can be pretty schizophrenic. Any recommendations on running packs with plenty of storage space? Or is there really even a difference between the packs made for biking? Thanks!

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Check out the Osprey Rev 6.  It has room for a bladder, two bottles, and lots of storage space for extra clothes and food.

Running is dumb.

AutBatgirl

Check out the Osprey Rev 6.  It has room for a bladder, two bottles, and lots of storage space for extra clothes and food.

Thanks for the rec. I've been looking for one, but don't want one that will bounce around too much. I'm ridiculously short-waisted, so it's hard to find something that's not too big.

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Thanks for the rec. I've been looking for one, but don't want one that will bounce around too much. I'm ridiculously short-waisted, so it's hard to find something that's not too big.

This one rides high up on your back.  I've only just tried it out (and obviously don't have a lot of running time on it), but I like it so far while hiking and it was on sale at Running Warehouse last week.  (Sadly not anymore.)

Running is dumb.

I've had great success with Nathan products. I started with the Nathan 2.0 which I still use as well as the Nathan Vaporwrap.

The Vaporwrap has more storage than the 2.0. and fits well. Women's version is the Vaporshadow

They also have the Zeal / Zelos that look promising

"Famous last words"  ~Bhearn

Jon the Freshman

I suggest going with an ultimate direction pack. Either the AK race vest (Which I own) or the SJ Vest. the AK model has pockets in the front for bottle storage and can also house a bladder in the back. The SJ has a similar setup with more storage capabilities. I feel like the SJ fits what you need better and is also extremely adjustable and durable for longer distances.

P.S. I use my AK vest for 50ks and haven't had any problems with bouncing or chaffing. Its a great quality product and definitely worth the money.