Purity: How it came out? (Read 534 times)

Totally Awesome Result!!! Beat PR set on 3/24 by 1:05!!!! NO FREAKING WAY MAN!!! It was the "Purity Moosic City Dairy Dash 10K/5K" in Nashville, Tn.. Only 326 runners showed of the expected 700 for the 5K. I'd say it was due to the bad weather. Thirty min. prior to the 8:15 start, there was heavy rain, strong winds and temp. of 49ยบ.It was very ugly. Plus, my achillies was hurting, so I mentally checked this race off as training. At 7:55, it had slowed to a drizzle so I went for a quick warm-up run and stretching. Within minutes [Praise God for answered prayers] the wind and rain ceased! With little time to spare, I hurried to the start where the crowd had already assembled. I placed myself about six rows back, where I spotted at least three women at the front. One was Amy Barrow, 49 (Female Overall Winner-18:40), who I'd planned on pacing off because of a 19:? she had posted on 1/1/07. But she and the other women pulled away at the start and I couldn't bridge the gap, nor was I even going to try. For one, they probably ran the first mile in 5:50ish, and secondly, I was trying to run a smarter, even paced 1st mile. Which I did, (Thanks to Jeff) hitting the first mile split in 6:11. "Oh No, I've gone out too fast again". But no, feeling more relaxed than my last race and not laboring, I told myself to back it off just a bit. When I hit the second mile split my time was 6:26. At this point, some simple math equations entered my head. "Okay, 6:16 for 1, 6:26 for 2, I can slow to a 6:36 which would result in a 6:26 avg. = 19:57". After mile 2, I was alone (running in no-man's land since .5m), running scared with visions of finishing in 20:01 and letting myself/those down who believed that I could possibly go sub-20. I started pushing hard again, increasing my heart rate steadily and fighting the dreaded "mental-crap", I began chanting pRE, pRE, pRE (my new mental-mantra). My gut was hurting since mile 2 and with a half mile to the finish I developed a stitch in my side. But no big problem. At 400 meters, a guy, who I hadn't seen before, passed me. I hooked on and he led me to a fast-finishing split of 6:48 (1.1 m/6:11=to mile1). At the finish I couldn't believe my eyes! The clock read 19:25. My actual chip-time was "19:22". 3 races in a 5 week period : [3/10] 21:27/6:56 [3/24] 20:27/6:36 [4/14] 19:22/6:15 And unlike the prior race, I actually feel like I left something out there. I finished 2nd Place in the Master's Division behind a 18:21 by Keith Woodall, who I met after the race along with Mark Pierett[10k Master Winner] and Paul Scalisi, who is Middle-TN's top master runner. All of whom, amazed and puzzled about my stated progresssions, questioned me about what I was doing to have gotten so guick, so fast. I was in awe and truly honored. HeartRate Info: Avg/Max Mile1] 157/162_88/91% Mile2] 163/165_91/92% Mile3] 166/169_93/94% HRavg - 91/94%, same as race on 3/24 but 1:05 faster.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Wow, AWESOME work! Dang, you do need to share your secret. Mark, Keith and Paul are fine runners and fine folks. And now you are one of them Wink Go RED!
        Holy S, great time!
        2009: BQ?
        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Wow, that is some really amazing, fast progress--wtg!!! Big grin k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

And now you are one of them Wink Go RED!
            Not quite yet in their class, but I told'em I was coming after them. Evil grin May take a year...maybe two...but I am coming! Wink Oh Trent, all my secrets are in my log, plus faith in what's written below.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You'll ruin your knees!

Awesome! WTG Ricky!!!!!!! Great improvement over the last race! Congrats.... Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Nice job on the 5k! That's an excellent time, congratulations.
                Wingz

Professional Noob

Cool Nice race! Sounds like the experience is teaching you about how you race best... I am thinking you've not come close to reaching your peak yet!

Roads were made for journeys...

What ever you are doing keep it up. Nice going.
                    http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
                      Thanks Very much fellow RAers! Oh, by the way I passed a few rabbits up on the TN State 5k Rankings [ Over 40 Cat. ]. I moved from 37th to 18th....and... I am now #72 in the Open Cat.!!!! Surprised

Ricky