staying hydrated long run (Read 113 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Throw $5 in a pocket and plan your runs out so you pass by a store or somewhere you can run in adn buy a water.

Will this work for Western States?

</kidding>

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Throw $5 in a pocket and plan your runs out so you pass by a store or somewhere you can run in adn buy a water.

with all their ubiquitous vending machines, including Pocari Sweat and other energy drinks, fanny pack, if that, and change in my pocket worked for me during several sojourns in Japan running with the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club, including all the mountain huts up Mt. Full, that had hot ramen too.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

littleGizmo

Thanks for advice. Yesterday I took one 8 oz water bottle with me on a run.  I made an attempt running the distance of a half marathon on a bike path by me. I was able to run 12 miles continuosly at a 4mph pace in 3 hours. My legs were so sore that I took 30 minutes to barely walk the last 1 mile. The water bottle definitely helped, next time I will bring more water with me.

yay!

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Biking Bad

finnegan begin again

I am just catching up on the news and hear about the Brooklyn Half.  Were the staff, medics and runners unaware and unprepared for the conditions? Or just one of those things?  Be safe

"... the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value..."  Thomas Paine Dec 23, 1776 The Crisis 

Adversity is the first path to truth. Lord Byron

"No one plans to fail…..they fail to plan" Skinny Pete

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks for advice. Yesterday I took one 8 oz water bottle with me on a run.  I made an attempt running the distance of a half marathon on a bike path by me. I was able to run 12 miles continuosly at a 4mph pace in 3 hours. My legs were so sore that I took 30 minutes to barely walk the last 1 mile. The water bottle definitely helped, next time I will bring more water with me.

Did you intend this as a race pace run? Your long runs should not leave you so worn down by the end. How did you feel the day after that run?

Consider making your running log publicly accessible here and I'm sure you'll get more tailored advice. Always remember your long run is only one piece of training.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

In hot weather, and direct sun can have the effect of adding 10+ degrees to the feels like temperature, hydration is only part of the issue.  Keeping cool is critical, so adding something like an ice bandana, i.e. a bandana that has a pocket sewn in for ice, to tie around your neck can be very helpful.  Adding ice to your water bottles at the start so they keep the water colder as they melt is also a good idea.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Running Problem

Problem Child

As I have progressed from running on a treadmill to outside running I notice a problem, staying hydrated on long runs outside. Running for 2 hours in a cool gym on a treadmill didnt seem like much of a problem. However last week I ran 2 hours outside in 91 degree heat with a lot of humidity and sun on me not shaded. I really felt thirsty and developed a headache after 40 minutes but kept running for 2 hours anyway to finish run. I brought no water with me, no where to carry it? How you stay hydrated on long runs? backpack with water in it?

pretty much. I would first try to run when it isn't so hot and dehydrating out.  My back up is a 1.5L bladder in an Ultimate Direction vest with two 16 ounce bottles. The last option is to stop because 91F, high humidity, and no water bottle is a very stupid dumb fucking idea in my personal opinion.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

rlopez

In hot weather, and direct sun can have the effect of adding 10+ degrees to the feels like temperature, hydration is only part of the issue.  Keeping cool is critical, so adding something like an ice bandana, i.e. a bandana that has a pocket sewn in for ice, to tie around your neck can be very helpful.  Adding ice to your water bottles at the start so they keep the water colder as they melt is also a good idea.

This can't be understated... dehydration and overheating are related but not the same thing. You can't fix heat exhaustion or heat stroke by drinking a lot. You slow down, get shade, and/or stop.

The science isn't there regarding "ice water will make you sick", but one thing is true - your body transfers some of its heat to the cold water you drank before it can use it... which is a fancy way of saying that the ice water has to warm up before it starts to hydrate you. Which may or may not take energy to do. I always teach people at Javelina "Ice water on you, tepid water in you"... but whatever it takes.

The main point is that you can't fix overheating by drinking a lot.

I just remembered the excellent waist belt I have, a Nathan VaporKrar. Turns any shorts into "trail" shorts. Who needs built-in pockets? Go ahead and use those 1" splitshort race shorts and pull on the waist pack for water and gear. This one will even hold your trekking poles, and it weighs less than a t-shirt.

60-64 age group  -  University of Oregon alumni  -  Irreverent and Annoying

Great topic and great advice and perspectives others are offering.  Water on runs has been a long-time issue for me......my security blanket for many years.  I have a friend that would never take water on runs even up to 12 or 13 miles......couldn't fathom how he was able to do that.  Early in my running career I would carry about a quart (1 liter) of water for a 13 mile training run.  Now I find if I stay well hydrated on a daily basis I don't need that much water any longer.  I still would take a half-liter for that distance today, though.

My daily routine is anything less than 5 miles I don't take any water.  For 5+ miles I always take about a half liter.....up to probably 10 mile distance. At 10+ miles on road runs or runs that may take 1.5 to 2.5 hours but shorter distances (trail runs), I will take a liter to maybe 1.5 liters of water.

My go-to water carry system for smaller water hauls is an Ultimate Direction waist belt that has a double-bottle option.  I can take two bottles but only normally carry one.  Longer runs I use an Ultimate Direction vest with a Hydrapack bladder.  I tried many combinations of systems over the years to see what works and the UD stuff just works well for me..........then again, I am brand loyal once I find something that works.  My suggestion is research everything and give things a try that seem to meet your needs.

Keep the running and fitness up and keep the weight from coming back.

Run more miles than last year.

Miles813

pretty much. I would first try to run when it isn't so hot and dehydrating out.  My back up is a 1.5L bladder in an Ultimate Direction vest with two 16 ounce bottles. The last option is to stop because 91F, high humidity, and no water bottle is a very stupid dumb fucking idea in my personal opinion.

I live in Florida and despise treadmills so for some of us avoiding these conditions is not an option. I regularly run in these conditions. Even a thirty minute run necessitates bringing water and to be honest anything over 5k and water is not enough. If you are running any significant amount of time in over 90 degree weather and high humidity you need an electrolyte mix. You can do a sweat weight test to get a rough idea of how much water weight you are losing during an hour run (or divide by two for a two hour run) to get your hourly loss. Then carry enough water to get close to replacing. If you can run a loop course you can leave a cooler with drink and ice off to the side of the road or trail (I usually leave a sign on it asking for it to not be disturbed and I have never had an issue). Otherwise you will just need to make some system (belt, vest, or bladder) work. Staying hydrated is only second to staying hard, good luck.

GloriaSmeltzer

Staying hydrated during long runs is crucial, especially in hot weather. Consider carrying water with options like a hydration backpack, belt, or handheld bottle. Prioritize pre-run hydration and be aware of signs of dehydration. Find shade, cool down, and hydrate if experiencing symptoms.