help me set a HM goal? (Read 477 times)

lilyriver

Hi all, I'm gearing up for my first half marathon this Saturday and as it's my first longer distance race, I'm really nervous about pacing myself correctly. I'm hoping for some advice! I did my last long run of 12 miles today at an 8:49 pace and it felt pretty easy, so I'm wondering how much faster than that I can afford to pace myself for the race. I ran a 5K back in August at 23:20, which according to the McMillan pace calculator would give me a goal of 8:14 for a HM. But I feel like I've improved a lot since August, though I don't have a more recent race time to base that on. Do you think I could aim for closer to 8:00/mile? or would that be pushing it? I just don't want to blow it at this race. My training went really well -- I even avoided a knee injury thanks to some great advice here -- and I'd love for this to be the first of many longer races, so I want this to be a good experience. Ahhh, can you tell I'm so nervous.....?
      your "numbers" aren't absolute: ie, train may, may not = race conditions. variables, are, well, variable. i am trying to realize this, too. but, if conditions are optimal and mimic your best times, give yourself a window of 7:50-8:20. if you feel too fast, slow down. if you feel too slow, speed up. run smart.
      lilyriver

Thank you! It's really good to hear that it's okay to follow my instincts and race according to how I feel in the conditions I end up with. I resisted for a long time applying "numbers" to my running -- I literally would just go out for as long I felt like it and only glance occasionally at my non-secondhand analog watch -- because I know I have a tendency to get obsessed with those numbers once they're there. Still now I try to avoid looking too often at my Garmin because it messes with my head.
          our instinct is to run: fight or flight. (but, modern man can analyze performance afterward on the garmin [of which i have one Wink])
            I was going to say 1:48, which is 8:15 pace, before rereading your post more thoroughly. My advice would be to start at that pace and hold it there for 3-4 miles no matter how good you feel. Gradually pick it up after that if you feek good. If you are really capable of holding 8-minute pace for the entire distance, you will have a blast passing people the rest of the way. Your training looks good--much better than 90% of the people I see doing their first half. A 1:45 wouldn't be out of the question but I think you would be wise to go with the conservative start as suggested. For your next one I would advise you to bump your long run up to 13-15 miles at least a couple times a month. Your long tab is fine the way it is, but going beyond the race distance is a great way to peel some extra time off. In 2006 I ran one off long runs of 10-11 miles and did okay, but last year I consistently did training runs longer than the race distance and took 3 minutes of my final race time on the same course. I've heard similar reports from other runners. Good luck on Saturday. I expect you will have nice race as long as you don't get over aggressive.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

A Saucy Wench

I was gonna come post...but I was pretty much going to say what Jim said. Start at 8:15 for the first few miles and see how you feel then pick it up if it feels good.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

lilyriver

Thanks Jim and Ennay! I think I'll do just that, start at 8:15 and then see if I can pick it up a little. It feels good to have a plan, but not one that's too limiting.