shin splints (Read 626 times)

I've been running for about 6 years pretty steady.I had some time this summer when i didn't run.Now I'm back but I have one shin that is bothering me. I can run but after it's sore.I know I ramped up my miles to fast. Do you think I can take just a couple days off and then limit my distance or should I take more time off?
      I suggest hitting up the forum search box above and to the right. There are dozens of informative shin splint discussions.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

jeffdonahue

You could back off a bit, assuming it is not such serious pain that you can't walk or run - then just take some tiem off. I would also recommend some strengthening exercises for the shin area - toe taps while sitting at your desk helped me a lot this summer when I had shin problems. Also, walking with your toes pointed out for a bit and then pointed in, as well as stretching your whole lower leg as much as possible. Also, every time I did my hamstring stretches I would massage the shin with my thumbs which helped when they hit in the middle of a run.
          thanks for your input. I'lltry all of the above.
            Duck walking 3 or 4 times a week for a minute or two each time will keep you shin splint free. Duck walking is walking around on your heels with your toes pulled up as far as you can, and stand up as straight as possible. Don't bend over at the waist or stick your butt way out. It's a very sexy walk! Big grin

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance