Weight lifting (Body Pump) and taper (Read 329 times)

MonkeyBunny

I do BodyPump 2x a week and as I'm about to taper for Houston, I was wondering if I should take a temporary break.  I didn't lift this week due to the holidays - all of the classes were cancelled and Monday/Tuesday classes are cancelled next week.  So if someone says yes, don't lift while tapering, I've already begun.  Otherwise, I'll take 1 class late next week and probably 1 class early the following week.

Houston Marathon 1-13-13

Rock n Roll St. Pete Half 2-10-13

Gasparilla 15K 2-23-13

Armadillo 10K 3-9-13

Ogden Marathon 5-18-13

Steamtown?

Baystate?

The Goal:  Boston Marathon 4-20-15

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

If you are running the race as a race then don't do the classes.

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

A Saucy Wench

I would cut out leg work during all of taper and upperbody for 7-10 days before a marathon.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

FSBD

I cut out body pump during taper.

I also wouldn't leave my feet during the dynamic lunges when I was in my highest mileage weeks.  It just didn't seem to be worth the injury risk.

Also when you go back to it take a little off the weight.  I as pretty sore after my first class back.

We are the music makers,

And we are the dreamers of dreams,

Wandering by lone sea-breakers,

And sitting by desolate streams; 

World-losers and world-forsakers,

On whom the pale moon gleams:

Yet we are the movers and shakers

Of the world for ever, it seems.

bobccf15

The books will say no weight lifting, but for me I would do it anyways. As long as you don't over do. I have done marathons and lifted the week before and was still able to BQ for Boston.

The books will say no weight lifting, but for me I would do it anyways. As long as you don't over do. I have done marathons and lifted the week before and was still able to BQ for Boston.

I guess the kind of lifting is relevant. The OP mentioned body pump, which is a low-weight high-reps kind of thing. Very different from doing a few heavy deadlifts to failure or some such.