need training advice for hilly course on a half marathon race (Read 257 times)

laurita

Hello, iam planning on running for a half marathon race on February. First i was looking at the Austin half marathon race, but then i realized that it is actually a hilly course. I havent had any hill training in the past year more less, would you recommend to change to another race, or it can be done by including some training on the upcoming weeks? I would appreciate any comments on the subject.

thanks and happy runs!!

Laura

I checked out the elevation profile, and I wouldn't call it exceptionally hilly.  But then again I live in CA and have done halves with 4000 ft elevation gain so I'll admit that my definition of hilly may be a bit extreme.  That being said...if you have your heart set on a PR, you would probably do better to find something else since I don't think you can do enough hill training in a month to make a significant difference in your ability to run hills fast.  But, as long as you're OK not PR'ing, I don't think that level of hills is a deal-breaker as long as you don't mind slowing down a bit on the uphills, and you may be a little sore afterwards from working some muscles that you don't normally work in flatter runs.  I wouldn't let it stop you if there are other reasons why you like this race.

Arimathea

Tessa

You have three weeks? Assuming you have been putting in sufficient mileage, I don't think that having trained on flat ground should keep you from doing Austin if you want to. However, as Liz says, slow down and don't set your heart on a PR.

Good luck!

an amazing likeness

Rolling hills (as opposed to Hills) are not really anything to fret to much about.  You can approach a course that's more hills than you're used to by running even effort and not trying to hold even pace. Let your pace adjust to the course and hold the same effort level.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

mandytheartist

My 1/2 Marathon is hilly too (Boston). Just run it like any other race, just knowing your legs will burn afterward.

Wing

Joggaholic

Hello, iam planning on running for a half marathon race on February. First i was looking at the Austin half marathon race, but then i realized that it is actually a hilly course. I havent had any hill training in the past year more less, would you recommend to change to another race, or it can be done by including some training on the upcoming weeks? I would appreciate any comments on the subject.

thanks and happy runs!!

Laura

I did the Austin full last year, the half is not that hilly (my opinion). Actually I think the elevation profile is great for the half because for the first 5 to 6 miles you're going "uphill" when you're warming up and that keeps you from going out too fast, and then once you turn around the course is mostly downhill and helps with negative split. The half marathon is very crowded though, and there's a lot more crowd support in the first 13 miles than the rest.

laurita

Hello everyone, thank you for posts, they actually help me feel better about my decision.  i actually travelled to Austin and checked out the race route.... I thought it was not as bad, i really imagined 6 mi constantly going up hill, and that was not quite true. I did some training there, and since i will be having vacations, this will allow me to travel to places with hills and visit friends at the same time Smile  So iam doing it!!!! iam excited haha.