Forerunner 305 (Read 2824 times)

I bought one at REI in May whenever everyone else on the forums was buying them too. Just now, I went to get mine and power it up, and it won't power up, nor will it charge. Thus, has anyone else had these difficulties? I am on the phone with Garmin now and just want to know whether I should get another sent to me as I might just have rare problems, or if this is across the board and I should just get a refund.
      This happens from time to time, based on posts here, I'd say that it isn't rare, but it's certainly not common either. Sometimes things like this can be fixed with a hard reset. Sometimes you have to get a replacement from Garmin.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

If the hard reset doesn't work, just get it replaced. It's a fast turn around since they just ship you a different one. I had a problem with mine downloading workouts, but I got it replaced and the new one has worked fine. The only problem I had with it was that they didn't put the serial number stick on on straight so it fell off on me.

Run to Win
        25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

gregw

I've had problems with mine for about the last 3 months. Occasionally I'd have to do a reset to get it to power on -- simultaneously hold lap and mode for 10 secs, then press power. As of a couple of weeks ago, I had to reset it every time to started it. I was also unable to download my workouts and the battery went from "charge complete" to "low battery" in the 10 minutes I had it on before a race Sad I called Garmin and after 30 minutes on the phone was able to talk to a human. Of course, my warranty had expired 10 days earlier, but thankfully, they still gave me an RMA and are sending me a refurbed unit Smile They got my fedex on the 3rd, so hopefully my new one will get here soon! You might try installing the new firmware, if you haven't already, since there's a bug related to starting after charging. A reset (above) will probably "fix" it, but if you keep having problems, I'd call Garmin, especially before the warranty expires.

an amazing likeness

There's some pretty good info on non-responsive ForeRunner in this thread: http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/c8ef97cb9ed54a09bcc73bf31ac7b6da

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

If you're using the USB charger, stop. Use the wall charger. It might take a few minutes to get it to start charging.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Thanks guys. I did a soft reset a couple of times....and it didn't work too well. It would come on whenever it wanted to, after I had pressed the power on button and then left it alone for like 5 minutes. I turned it off, pressed power, and nothing. Thanks to MilkTruck though, I was able to do a hard reset, and after deleting all of my info (just uploaded all yesterday fortunately) it seems to be working fine now. Hopefully it was just some little glitch, but good to know that Garmin will stand behind their products. Hopefully I don't have to contact them - and sit on the phone for an hour on hold. Lastly - anyone else have problems with the speaker going out? Just randomly, my beeping went faint about 3 weeks ago and you can't even tell anymore.

an amazing likeness

Lastly - anyone else have problems with the speaker going out? Just randomly, my beeping went faint about 3 weeks ago and you can't even tell anymore.
                  In my experience with the 3 different Forerunner 205 I've owned, the speaker volume is really variable. Of the 2 units used routinely, one is loud and one I can barely hear, if at all. They've had that radical volume difference since day 1, so it doesn't seem to be related to the speaker holes being filled with gunk. There are some threads on motionbased.com that talk about speaker volume, here's a typical one here.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

JayMF

I had a similar problem with my 305. The soft reset sort of worked - it would eventually start up, but really slow. When I tried to sync it on my PC, the sync operation would hang on the last two runs. I ended up deleting my history from the unit and everything worked fine after that. I expect a hard reset would also have worked. I can only assume that one of the log entries in the unit got corrupted somehow and that was what was causing the unit to not boot up when I turned it on. In any case, you'll likely be able to correct the problem on your own without having to send it to garmin.