Sportwatches with GPS for runners (Read 189 times)

Fat & lazy runner

Hi.

I'm looking for a sportwatch with GPS. I like very much:

Garmin 610

Polar RCX5 GPS

Polar RC3 GPS.

I found also the Nike+ Sportwatch GPS that it seems to be very interesting for the price.

Might you give me some advice about these models? What are your experiences and you idea about it?

Thank you

Andy

Andy G.

mikeymike

This guy's blog has the most in-depth product reviews of all of the major GPS watches that I have ever seen:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/product-reviews

Runners run

Fat & lazy runner

Thank you!

This link is very useful!

I'd like to know also some user experience...

Bye

Andy

Andy G.

CSP

I like polar and have been using a couple different models--the oldest for more than a decade. One has a gps accessory which I haven't yet purchased. Have been using RunKeeper mobile app instead.

One of my watches broke so I shipped it back to their main US service center--thinking I wouldn't see it again for months.  They turned it around less than a day after receiving it!

Overal, very pleased with the brand.  Only complaint is that home security systems wigout the hear rate readings every once in a while.  I believe the chest strap is 2.4ghz and perhaps home security runs on the same frequency.

Fat & lazy runner

Thank you very much for your reply.

I read some informations on the web and I'm falling in love for the Garmin 610. I think that Polar is also a very interesting sportwatch.

I'm thinking and in the next days I'll decide.

Bye

Andy G.

Runner100

The 610 is a great watch, I've been using one for about a year and I love it. I'm a big touchscreen fan. Once you get used to the touchscreen it's really easy to use. The only potential issue I can see is if you do ultras/really long runs the relatively short battery life might be an issue, but that's not a problem for me. I have to charge mine every few days. I wear it as my regular watch also. Some users reported issues with the strap pins falling out of the 610. I don't know if they fixed that flaw on later production versions but i haven't had any issues. Honestly, unless you really want the touch screen all the bells and whistles of the 610, I'd save the money and go with one of the cheaper models, which will likely meet all your needs quite well. I think back to using an early Timex version of the GPS watch, which had a bulky sensor you had to strap on to your upper arm. It only worked properly half the time. I really love my Garmin 610!

jasfrmn

I can't speak of the new watches you are looking at but I have been running with a Garmin 305 for something like 4 years now in all kinds of conditions and it has never failed me or had an issue.

duckman

The Irreverent Reverend

I can't speak of the new watches you are looking at but I have been running with a Garmin 305 for something like 4 years now in all kinds of conditions and it has never failed me or had an issue.

Same here I've had my Garmin Forerunner 305 for 3 years, and it has been great. Replaced the stupid plastic strap with a velcro one. The pins have come out once or twice, but otherwise no issues.

Husband. Father of three. Lutheran pastor. National Guardsman. Runner. Political junkie. Baseball fan.

Julia1971

The 610 is a great watch, I've been using one for about a year and I love it. I'm a big touchscreen fan. Once you get used to the touchscreen it's really easy to use. The only potential issue I can see is if you do ultras/really long runs the relatively short battery life might be an issue, but that's not a problem for me. I have to charge mine every few days. I wear it as my regular watch also. Some users reported issues with the strap pins falling out of the 610. I don't know if they fixed that flaw on later production versions but i haven't had any issues. Honestly, unless you really want the touch screen all the bells and whistles of the 610, I'd save the money and go with one of the cheaper models, which will likely meet all your needs quite well. I think back to using an early Timex version of the GPS watch, which had a bulky sensor you had to strap on to your upper arm. It only worked properly half the time. I really love my Garmin 610!

+1.  OP, if you use the search box in the upper right-hand corner and search for garmin 610 you'll find some other threads about the watch and comments people have made over the years.  In addition to what Dougal wrote, I would add that I found the 610 very intuitive to program.  My favorite thing about it is how easy it is to create workouts.  I know other watches can do this but I didn't even have to read the manual to figure out how to create them in the 610.

Fat & lazy runner

Thanks for your help.

My Forerunner 610 is coming.

The new toy is arriving, I hope it'll be a good companion

Bye

Andy G.

Fat & lazy runner

I received my brand new Garmin FR610 with HR Monitor and Foot Pod.

I like it very much.

Now I need to practice and understand how I can use it.

Bye

Andy G.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Congrats!

Satisfied 610 owner here.  If you don't mind the battery lifespan, it is an almost perfect watch.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

Garmin just replaced my broken 405 with a 610 last week. I have to say it is a pretty awesome watch. Sometimes I tune out the audible alerts, to the vibration is a great addition.

I charge it every night, so I haven't noticed any battery problems yet.

--

Nashville, TN