What to eat during a marathon? (Read 3809 times)

zonykel

Try running a half without taking gels.

for the marathon, have you tried other stuff like Gatorade?

So I'm training for my first marathon in September but I cannot stand GUs. I've tried them during half marathons and they sort of make me gag, but I definitely need something during long runs. At my last two half marathons I brought some ShotBloks and Energy Blasts and while they tasted a little better, chewing was a little difficult.

I guess my question is, is it better to choke down the GUs in one fell swoop with some water, or are there other brands/flavors that taste any better? Any suggestions would be great. Smile

EpicErin

Epic Runner

Try running a half without taking gels.

for the marathon, have you tried other stuff like Gatorade?

I didn't take any gels during my first half and at mile 9 I hit the wall of hunger. Undecided I'm doing another half on 7/7 so I'll try going without chews then. 

I always drink Gatorade at the stations and I find it does help. I just never feel like I'm fueled enough, even after the last half when I carb-loaded more than normal. I always start feeling really hungry at mile 9-10...enough to keep going for a few miles, but definitely like I'm losing energy.

Do Epic Runs

http://www.doepicruns.com/

zonykel

How long are the halves taking you? Roughly how many miles per week are you running?

getting hungry, in and of itself, is no reason to think you've hit a wall. perhaps you should look at how much you eat before the race.

carb-loading and refueling are needed for the marathon because we don't store enough energy (glycogen) in our liver and our muscles to last the entire race. Typically, a half doesn't have those energy issues.

I didn't take any gels during my first half and at mile 9 I hit the wall of hunger. Undecided I'm doing another half on 7/7 so I'll try going without chews then. 

I always drink Gatorade at the stations and I find it does help. I just never feel like I'm fueled enough, even after the last half when I carb-loaded more than normal. I always start feeling really hungry at mile 9-10...enough to keep going for a few miles, but definitely like I'm losing energy.

Queen of 3rd Place

Not sure what you mean here by "carb-loaded", are you talking about an honest-to-goodness carb depletion followed by loading cycle? The night before? Breakfast?

Listen to zonykel. You should wake up with enough glycogen on board to easily fuel you for a half marathon, even if you have nothing to eat before the race. Also, you might try doing some of your long training runs without any breakfast or any calorie intake while running. Make your log public so that you can get some additional training advice.

Ex runner

EpicErin

Epic Runner

Oh I haven't been logging my runs here - my friends and I share other accounts. Right now a half takes me about 2:30 (10-11 minute miles).

I'll try running on empty...

Do Epic Runs

http://www.doepicruns.com/

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I did all my training without any gu or gatorade. During the marathon, I accepted one gu that was handed to me. I wasn't  really able to eat it normally, but squeezed a teaspoon at a time into my mouth and let it dissolve. I don't really think it was necessary.  I accepted orange slices gratefully, however.

SubDood

I meant to try Fig Newtons on my half marathon this weekend . . .  but I forgot to bring them. (I was ok with just Gatorade for the half, but I really wanted to test the Fig Newton for a marathon coming up in 2 weeks.) The nutrition info for Fat Free Fig Newtons looks pretty similar to a pack of Gu or other gel (serving size = 2 "Newtons," 22g carb, 0 fat, 1g protein, 125mg sodium, 65mg potassium). Assuming you like them, the consistency might be better than a gel, and maybe not as chewy as a ShotBlok-type substance. You'd definitely need to wash it down with something, though.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I meant to try Fig Newtons on my half marathon this weekend . . .  but I forgot to bring them. (I was ok with just Gatorade for the half, but I really wanted to test the Fig Newton for a marathon coming up in 2 weeks.) The nutrition info for Fat Free Fig Newtons looks pretty similar to a pack of Gu or other gel (serving size = 2 "Newtons," 22g carb, 0 fat, 1g protein, 125mg sodium, 65mg potassium). Assuming you like them, the consistency might be better than a gel, and maybe not as chewy as a ShotBlok-type substance. You'd definitely need to wash it down with something, though.

I did fig newtons in a previous marathon and they weren't bad, but as you say, were dry in the mouth and needed that water. Harder to juggle than a gu.

bhearn

Recent topics holds the answer -- donut bacon sandwich.

SubDood

Recent topics holds the answer -- donut bacon sandwich.

... shmeared with Nutella?

jerseyrunner

Half Fanatic 12680

I don't use gu on training runs less than 16 miles, but I will take one or two during a half marathon. I tried different flavors and for some reason, I prefer the expresso or caramel. At least I can take swallow them. I've also used Cliff Shot Blocks. They can be easier to take because they aren't gooey, but they can be chewy; the cranberry/raspberry is kind of tasty. Try experimenting a bit, but make sure that you are comfortable with your selection before the race -- you don't want to use anything for your race that you haven't already used in training a few times.

Now, if someone could come up with mini packets of nutella.....

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

EdithRevisited

If you ask

I take in a GU at miles 6, 12, and 18.  By mile 22 I may have a 1/4 of a Cliff bar.  At my last marathon I had a few Saltines at mile 22 and they were great (at water stop... Too dry without, of course).  I liked the saltiness.

At half marathons I only eat one GU around mile 8 or 9, but I think it's more of a mental thing.

• Charlie Horse Half Marathon - May 25
                            • PA Grand Canyon Marathon - July 27
                            • Labor Pain 12 Hour Endurance - August 31 (50k...or more!)

Arimathea

Tessa

It's a marathon. Not a picnic. Used to be that one didn't eat anything during a marathon.

That said, I like citrus fruit. Those easy peel tangerines are convenient.

I have seen someone running a half with Gatorade in five of her six water bottle holsters and a sub sandwich wrapped in plastic in the sixth one. In case she got peckish, i suppose.

Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.

Except during marathons.

Runners run