Garmin question (Read 70 times)

ultramarathon/triathlete

I'm thinking about getting a new Garmin.

One thing I dislike is updating my 220 physically through my computer.  The garmin connect software on my mac turns itself on all the time, I can never close it fully, it pops up, pops open, and the fact that I don't know what it's doing when I'm not using it annoys me. Especially since I rarely need it (only to update the maps I think).

So two things:

Is there a recent garmin that will last at least 12 hours on the run? Mine died about 35 miles into my 50M back in May and that sucked.

And can I update it wirelessly? I don't THINK I have to update my Garmin 520 by plugging it in, I think it does it over the wifi?  So there must be a watch like this now too?

I don't need all the fancy bells and whistles.  Of all the Garmins I've had despite all the fancy features, all I've ever used it for was current and average pace, overall time and overall distance and mile splits. I would like a built in HR via wrist since I never wear the chest straps, but that's not a deal breaker.

Any recent watches that match my needs?  I'd also consider Suunto or something else, but I've only ever run with garmin or my apple watch so I just don't know a lot about the others.

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
    Gatorade Endurance Team

Marylander

The FR 935 should do the trick, wifi and battery life of about 24 hours on regular GPS (longer on ultra):

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/03/garmin-forerunner-935-depth-review.html

AutBatgirl

I have the Forerunner 630 and the battery is 16 hours in GPS mode and 25 hours in UltraTrac. I haven't tested them since I'm not up to running that far since I got it, but I haven't had any issues with the battery lasting. It also updates wirelessly, which is nice because otherwise I'd never remember to do it. This one doesn't have the built-in heart rate monitor, however.

No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.

Why do you ever need to connect your 220 to a computer?

Dave