Running and mental health (Read 276 times)

kittenkatkk

English Villain

Do any of you run to keep your mental health in check? How do you think your training positively (or negatively) impacts your frame of mind?

Dream Maker

It is helpful for my depression.

I think running can be a valuable tool in mental health, but it is of course important for one to recognize when running itself is not sufficient and medication might be necessary.

GinnyinPA

It definitely helps my depression. So does hiking.  On days that I don't run or hike, I see a big difference in my mood/mindset.

kittenkatkk

English Villain

It definitely helps my depression. So does hiking.  On days that I don't run or hike, I see a big difference in my mood/mindset.

That's really cool. Smile

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

That's not why I run, but I do notice that running has an effect, usually positive, on my moods and emotions.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

pedaling fool

This guy was a runner, but seems his depression got the best of him...not to mention everyone else in the plane

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32138867

Excerpt:

The Germanwings co-pilot suspected of deliberately crashing his plane into the Alps had disclosed an earlier bout of depression, Lufthansa has said.

The airline, which owns Germanwings, said last week that Andreas Lubitz had taken a break from flight school training, but refused to say why. It has now shared emails from 2009 which show Lubitz told instructors he had suffered from "severe depression".

DoppleBock

I believe that running can really help SAD.  It can help overall mental health.  But it can also be used as a band-aide to help a person limp along with depression, anxiety or other issues without really addressing the root cause.  So mostly good - But can be a little bad if it is helping to mask an issue you should / need to address.

Better than alcohol, drugs or binge eating ...

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

kettledrum

Running is sort of an escape from the rest of life.  The problem is that the run must eventually end and we have to go back to the stressors of the other aspects of our lives.

Definitely, a million times over. I'm a clinical social worker, and I frequently recommend my clients consider walking/running. I often refer clients to Girls on the Run which is an amazing program, if you're not familiar with it.

Back when I was more consistent with my running, it had times that a client could tell I had not gotten my run that morning because I was grumpier

- Anna 

I want to be famous in the way a pulley is famous, or a buttonhole,

not because it did anything spectacular,   

but because it never forgot what it could do.

- Naomi Shihab Nye 

Hoban-Jay

Running is sort of an escape from the rest of life.  The problem is that the run must eventually end and we have to go back to the stressors of the other aspects of our lives.

It doesn't have to end.  NEVER!

kittenkatkk

English Villain

It doesn't have to end.  NEVER!

That's a really long ultra you're talking about! Smile

DoppleBock

I survived for 10 year coping by running and never dealing with my Mother's death.  My point is running / aerobic exercise is a great coping mechanism ... but don't let it take the place of dealing with issues you need to meet head on.

Instead of just surviving use it to thrive !

On the other hand ~ Something temporary like SAD ~ You just need to get through the 2-3 darkest months ... It has been awesome coping mechanism.

Definitely, a million times over. I'm a clinical social worker, and I frequently recommend my clients consider walking/running. I often refer clients to Girls on the Run which is an amazing program, if you're not familiar with it.

Back when I was more consistent with my running, it had times that a client could tell I had not gotten my run that morning because I was grumpier

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I have one kid with schizophrenia, one kid with bipolar disorder, and one kid with anxiety (you'd be anxious, too, if you had two brothers that ill).  I run to keep my own sanity.

Daniel

I believe that running has done a better job helping me manage my issues with ptsd better than any pill had ever done. Running seems to keep me focused during the day and gives me something to do that doesn't leave my mind idle. It has also helped boost my confidence because now I know I can do things I never thought were possible before like running a marathon. I would even say that my wife and I are happier than before because I'm in a better place mentally.

Dream Maker

[quoted modified post- removing]