Racing with your Garmin (Read 245 times)

Set it to auto lap every mile.  Then you can complain to everyone within earshot if the official marks were in the wrong place according to the Garmin Smile

delicate flower

I have my 410 set for autolap every mile, displaying lap pace, distance, and total time.  I use the data for informational purposes only during the race.  I try to race based on effort for the respective distance, i.e. hard and uncomfortable for a 5K and nice and steady for a marathon.

I use the Garmin to dictate training run paces, but I listen to my legs and body on race day.

<3

Depending upon what software you use to look at your data, it will display splits either by your manual laps or by miles, half, or quarter mile (or probably km if set up with those units). Same thing on the maps and graphs. That's why I usually go by landmarks for splits.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
        mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I've only run a few marathons with my Garmin 305, but I think for OKC I'll be setting at least one screen to show total time, last lap pace and current lap pace.  Those are the only things I think I ever really care about during a race, since the miles are marked.  And I'll have it set to autolap, even though I know it will be slightly off from the mile markers.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

naorunner

Isnt there any one who uses the nike+ arm watch? I see a lot of people using the garmin, but why? Tomtoms nike+ is by far the best thing if you would compare them..

naorunner

Isnt there any one who uses the nike+ arm watch? I see a lot of people using the garmin, but why? Tomtoms nike+ is by far the best thing if you would compare them..

tinman11

Average Pace

Current Pace

Distance

Heart Rate

I can see my splits after the race based on miles.  I don't push any buttons during race.

B-Plus

Set it to auto-lap at 1mi or 1km (based on your mindset), and let it tell you what happened after the race. Then correlate what it recorded with what you felt.  Set the primary display on average pace for the workout and you'll have feedback on your pace as the event progresses, and another field showing last lap pace -- with these two you can see your evolving event pace, and if your last split fading or gaining against that.

That's a really great idea. I've never thought if setting it up that way. Mind you, I didn't even have time to look at my watch during my last 5k. I always manual lap it at each marker.

No more marathons

Set it to auto-lap at 1mi or 1km (based on your mindset), and let it tell you what happened after the race. Then correlate what it recorded with what you felt.  Set the primary display on average pace for the workout and you'll have feedback on your pace as the event progresses, and another field showing last lap pace -- with these two you can see your evolving event pace, and if your last split fading or gaining against that.

This ^

One of the most valuable uses of the garmin in a race is the ability to see your average pace for the current lap.  Your best time for a race will be the result of as even pacing as possible.  But the tendency in the middle mile of a 5K is to let up - both on your own because you are getting tired, and because those around you will be slowing down and you will have the tendency to keep pace with them.  If you can glance at your watch and see that you are falling off of your goal pace, then you can add that little extra that it will take to keep the pace up.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!