Cross training intensity (Read 1313 times)

Do you go about your cross training with the same intensity that you do your running? Or do you consider your cross training easy "recovery" work?
    xor

Do you go about your cross training with the same intensity that you do your running? Or do you consider your cross training easy "recovery" work?
      I don't do all my running at the same intensity, but I think I know what you mean. Two of the things that I do for cross training, yoga and lifting, don't really apply. My spinning workouts are high intensity. For recovery, I do easy runs. One day every two weeks (more if I just ran a super challenging race) are actual 'rest'.

For me, same intensity or more. But I guess it depends what you do in your cross training. My swims are usually medium or high intensity depending on the workout. Spinning and cycling is always high intensity. The great thing about x-training is that it stresses other parts of the body so I can get a hard workout and do a hard run the next day. - R
          Okay listening to the first two responces I suppose I am pretty normal. For me cross training allows me to work out harder more often. I can do a hard run one day and do a hard swim the next with out over doing it. If I ran hard two days in a row I would kill myself.
          protoplasm72

I cross train as hard as my body will let me without negatively affecting my running. For me that means swimming at a high intensity and biking at a moderate pace since I don't want to over work my legs. My strength training is mainly for the upper body and easy on my legs. I train for tri's so I'm not doing it just to avoid over stressing my body with running though I do a much higher volume then I'd be able to with just running. Especially now that my foot has started bothering me and I've cut back on my running.

Son, when you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get. -- Homer Simpson

I think it really depends on the purpose of the cross training. If you're cross training for a triathlon, you'll need to build those strengths. If you're cross training for the FIRST program, however, the cross training is designed to be recovery workouts without the pounding of the pavement. In this case, you're better served elevating the heart rate a bit, but not killing yourself.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.