Order of runs in graphs (Read 999 times)

Erunama

I just noticed when adding more than one run on the same day, the way they are stacked in the graph on the summary page is odd. I added an Easy warmup, and then a Fartlek, but the Easy run appears on top. Maybe you did it that way on purpose, but wouldn't it make more sense for the earlier run (I put the warmup at 8:00pm and the fartlek at 8:20) to show up on the bottom? Since the y-axis is mileage, the first run starts from the 0 point and builds up from there. Just a suggestion Cool
    eric :)

I chose to go with a commercial graphing package to save me time so I can work on more pressing issues. There are several things that I have to look into with the graphing software, including this one. It's on my list of things to do, so you'll have to bear with me.
      Erunama

Ok, thanks Eric. It's not a big deal (in fact, it's quite a small deal), but I just thought I'd let you know, since I didn't see mention of this exactly. I've been checking the list every so often to see if there are any updates. There are a lot of awesome features on that list, and I can't wait to start seeing some of them. Thanks again for all of the work you put into this running log! It's a fabulous site.

I thought about this after I turned off the computer last night, and realized that the graphing package, however beautiful it is, can't order the runs. The reason is with how it accepts the data to be graphed. The data is grouped by run type instead of the order in which I input them, so it loses the order. The advantage of using an off the shelf package is that I don't have to spend (much) time on it. On the other hand, if I create my own, I can do some really cool stuff with it too. For example, I've been tinkering with the idea of creating a "PR envelope", similar to the flight envelope that describes the characteristics of an airplane. It is generated using your race PRs, and is kind of like a race pace predictor. Instead of predicting a pace for a given distance, it plots out the pace for all distances. Since it's created using your race data, it should be more accurate than the general formula used in the current predictors on other sites. This site is actually the second version. I did the first version using PHP, and I did my own graphing. It's ironic because it ordered the runs correctly, as well as did a rolling date instead of lobbing off days without data, and had correct widths for all the columns. How's this, if you find more things that are wrong with it, I'll write my own graphing package that can do everything Tongue It's a trade off since it'll consume a lot of time, time that I can spend on other stuff. eric Smile
          Erunama

Well, I certainly don't speak for everyone, but I think the graphing features are pretty nice at the moment. Looking at the list of new stuff to be added, I think most of those are way more important, and will be a greater benefit, to this log (especially exporting data, training schedules [and future events/races], and cross training). So, it's be nice to have an amazing graphing system with completely unique features, but I think something like that can wait. The current one is nice. The only big feature I think it is missing is the ability to graph more than one thing (such as trend lines) at the same time. Keep up the awesome work. I know I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate this site. Cool
              I know I speak for everyone when I say we appreciate this site. Cool
              Eric: I certainly would add an "amen" to what Erunama has said. (BTW--this post has raised a question in my mind: Is there a way to preview a message before it is posted?)
              My Masters (>50) Race PR's: 5K - 20:17 10K - 42:36 HM - 1:31:22 Marathon - 3:20:48

Thank you for your kind words! I am happy to know that this site is good for something Tongue This is still a relatively new site (up since April), so it is still unknown to most runners. If you know of anyone that might be looking for something like this, please spread the word! There isn't a way to preview the message yet. I've added it to my list of things to do. For now, you can always modify it after posting. eric Smile