If you're looking to help someone this Holiday season... (Read 171 times)

Cool Jump Suit

I am truly sorry to hear that.  I hope your family finds peace in remembering Damon.

So bittersweet,
    This tragedy
    Won't ask for absolution;
    This melody,
    Inside of me,
    Still searches for solution.
    A twist of faith,
    A change of heart
    Cures my infatuation.
    A broken heart, 
    Provides the spark
    For my determination.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thank you.  I am so very thankful that I still have 3 of his VMs on my cell phone.  I'm going to pick up a cable to transfer the audio to my HD so that I can burn it to CDs for everyone in the family.  I smile listening to them…he was always such a smartass when he'd leave messages.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'm sorry Kirsten.

PDoe

So sorry to hear the outcome. God bless.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

I'm so, so sorry, Kirsten. 

I'll be praying for some semblance of peace about the situation for you and your family.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, everyone.  We've unfortunately come to understand why the survival statistics with glioma tumors are so bleak.  It's the 2nd leading cause of childhood deaths behind accidents.  I believe only about 20% of all people diagnosed with this sort of brain stem tumor survive to the 1 year mark.  Ultimately what took Damon was lack of oxygen for several minutes and/or fluid pressure on his brain.  Had his frontal lobes not been damaged his outcome could have been significantly better, even if not long-term.  We had considered some potential Make-a-Wish scenarios when we thought he might still wake and be able to undergo tumor treatment.

Everyone is dealing as best as we can, but I'm not sure Christmas will ever be the same.  Damon's funeral took place on my DH's and my 17th anniversary.  This will forever be a bittersweet occasion for us.

Adding insult to injury, we arrived home on Sun evening to discover that our eldest cat (15.5) was dying.  A trip to the emergency vet 45 minutes away found his kidneys and heart were failing and he had considerable fluid on his lungs -- the vet was suspicious that he could have had some cancer.  At his most recent vet visit this Summer he was in good shape, aside from cataracts and partial deafness.  When we left for WI he was perfectly fine and wrassling-around with our youngest cat.  The emergency vet drained the fluid to give us some additional time with him and yesterday AM we said goodbye to our Ikky.  And DH and I are battling colds on top of it all.

Karma's a pretty fucking punitive bitch.

~ Sarah Kay

I'm so sorry to hear this. I was really hoping he would be one of the better outcomes. I can't imagine what your sister is going through. Makes me very sad.

I'm so sorry Kirsten.  So very, very sorry.

Arimathea

Tessa

Kirsten, I am so very sorry for your family's loss.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Thanks, everyone.

I'm so sorry to hear this. I was really hoping he would be one of the better outcomes. I can't imagine what your sister is going through. Makes me very sad.

It's hard that I'm on the opposite side of Lake MI from my entire family.  I'd give anything to be physically closer, in light of everything.  I regret that I never got to spend a lot of time with my nephews over the years.  Drive-time between us is about 7 hours and was an extra hour further until our recent move.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

So sorry to hear. Peace to your family.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thanks, everyone.

It's hard that I'm on the opposite side of Lake MI from my entire family.  I'd give anything to be physically closer, in light of everything.  I regret that I never got to spend a lot of time with my nephews over the years.  Drive-time between us is about 7 hours and was an extra hour further until our recent move.

Kirsten,

Sorry for your loss.  I've been off of RA for the past couple of weeks, and read this thread last night.  I can't imagine your pain.

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

Menace to Sobriety

Sorry, Kirsten. My deepest sympathies to you and your family.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.