Make private route public? (Read 451 times)

Markie

Hello all,

New user here, and just finding my way around. I like what I'm seeing, but have a question I haven't been able to find answers for in the Help or forums.

I've created some routes and entered data for the new account I created. I realized after I did that I'd like to actually make a couple of the routes Public instead of Private. I've tried duplicating as well as editing the routes to be able to set them to Public, but don't see how to do this.

Am I missing an obvious button somewhere, or is this not really possible?

Again, really like the site so far, just trying to get myself settled in.

Thanks,

Markie

eric :)

Hi Markie,

To make the map public, edit the map, click on the lock icon on the map's tool bar, and then click the Save button.

eric Smile

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Just curious...Does Markie have to make his training log public as well?  Otherwise, I don't see how a public user could find his courses unless he sent a link.

It depends.  The maps' privacy is separate from the log. Even though his log is private, his public maps will be searchable when you find routes.  As you know, the find routes feature does not show who created the map to protect the map owner's privacy.

With public maps, he can also provide links to his maps by clicking on the Publish button when he views the maps.  This allows him to share his maps without giving access to his log.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

It depends.  The maps' privacy is separate from the log. Even though his log is private, his public maps will be searchable when you find routes.  As you know, the find routes feature does not show who created the map to protect the map owner's privacy.

With public maps, he can also provide links to his maps by clicking on the Publish button when he views the maps.  This allows him to share his maps without giving access to his log.

Ah yes, I didn't think about searching for routes.  This is even better.

Markie

Thanks for the quick response, as well as the additional info from others! I can't get to the maps from my iPod Touch, so I'll try this out when I get back to my laptop. Thanks again!
              Markie

Eric et al,

I'm not having success in changing the privacy setting on a route. To be clear, this is where I'm trying to change it:

Edit page, lock icon

Am I using the correct control? This is the route editing page, and that is the only lock icon I see.

Please advise,

Markie

Markie,

This is the control you need to enable.  If the lock is high lighted, that means your route is set to private.  Toggle it to change it to public.  Make sure you click the Save button after you change the mode.  You can verify that it is public by looking at the course list.  A globe icon will indicate it's public, and a lock means it's private.

Markie

Eric,

Thanks for the super-quick reply.

At least I'm trying to use the right control.  Wink

I see the source of my confusion now. The lock icon rollover state is slightly different from the locked icon (brighter yellow). Clicking it has no noticeable affect, but rolling off now shows a blue background on the lock instead of golden. If I then click save, the route is given a new icon on the main Routes screen (the globe you mention). Going back to the editing page still shows the lock, but with the blue background.

It's working, I just didn't understand the visuals.

Thank you again for the assistance,

Markie