The COVID-19 Wild West Thread (Read 601 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Nah it's actually bad news, because we just don't know if this vaccine is effective based on the numbers. It's just an attention grab by the companies, and I guess the British government too . A real shame.

The British government have been woeful during the pandemic...but I love this guy - Professor Van-Tam....he always tells it straight with no bullshit. 👍

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/reasons-careful-pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-183531722.html

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

rlopez

Yes?

You have a repeating, developed pattern of assigning super dramatic motivation and/or personality attributes to others that don't match reality.

I am not a member of the police fascist state who revels in cruelty to others.

Dr Rosenbloom actually understands statistics and despite the (totally reasonable IMHO) cynicism towards previous 'hot off the press' viral things, wants these vaccines to be succesful.

Not bad news, good news.

Fingers crossed that we get back to more normal-ish societal behaviors by next summer. However, I think many of us will have long-term effects from this experience. Meanwhile, American society is not going to return to normal anytime soon (or ever) thanks to Trumpism and, in particular, the complete incompetence and lack of giving a shit about this disease.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The British government have been woeful during the pandemic...but I love this guy - Professor Van-Tam....he always tells it straight with no bullshit. 👍

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/reasons-careful-pfizer-coronavirus-vaccine-183531722.html

I wish it was a yogurt. Mix in some granola with my COVID vaccine? Yum.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Rlopez you are free to believe that if you'd like, but he was not correct on the statistics here. We all want the vaccine to be successful, I have no doubt Trent does too. His skepticism is indeed healthy, but it was not applied correctly in this case for reasons stated.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’ll have to admit that I found the Paula White-Cain clip on that link slightly erotic. 🥵

Good news for frontline workers and the elderly in the UK as Pfizer has been approved.

https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2020/12/02/uk-approves-new-covid-19-jab-with-rollout-starting-next-week/

Ah pfeizer. Just who I want to see getting emergency FDA approval for the COVID 19 drug based on their claims it is 95% effective.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Fingers crossed that we get back to more normal-ish societal behaviors by next summer. However, I think many of us will have long-term effects from this experience. Meanwhile, American society is not going to return to normal anytime soon (or ever) thanks to Trumpism and, in particular, the complete incompetence and lack of giving a shit about this disease.

Probably because of the tiny percentage who actually die from it. (the majority are over 80 with underlying health issues).

In the UK the lockdowns are all about not having the hospitals “overwhelmed”...and that’s because the government cut funding and therefore  understaffed. Sooo, I guess the next generation will be paying a lot of tax for all of their lives. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Probably because of the tiny percentage who actually die from it. (the majority are over 80 with underlying health issues).

This is pretty tone-deaf towards the people right here on RA who are struggling with the long-term effects of Covid survival. People in far better health than the majority of Humans. People are suffering permanent and debilitating damage to multiple organ systems. A friend of mine in her early 40s was just diagnosed for the 2nd time since Summer. But, hey, they're not old or dead, so no problem...

And others of us are well under 80 and at high risk. I'm missing a lung lobe and chemo trashed my immune system. I give a big shit about this disease. I didn't go through 3 years of metastatic cancer treatment hell...for this. The majority of people diagnosed with cancer survive, too -- especially those under retirement age. Do you go around telling them that all is well while they're missing body parts and living with the long-term effects of having been poisoned and/or irradiated?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

rlopez

Um. Although I tend to ignore you now, I am breaking this rule to state that I think you are an ass. In raw numbers, we'll be approaching world war 2-level deaths here in a few months. "Tiny percentage?" Fuck that shit. A LOT of people have died and will die. And many who "got over it" are still having terrible effects.

Plus the PTSD on all the caregivers.

There's no need to be a dick about it.

PS, as with the previous poster, if I get it, I will be in serious trouble. So, for real, don't be a dick.

rlopez

Rlopez you are free to believe that if you'd like, but he was not correct on the statistics here. We all want the vaccine to be successful, I have no doubt Trent does too. His skepticism is indeed healthy, but it was not applied correctly in this case for reasons stated.

You believe that, but it doesn't make it so.

It also skips the part where you were super dramatic and decided to play that "greatest hit" in a very weird way.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I ❤️  rlopez

an amazing likeness

(the majority are over 80 with underlying health issues).

For the United States -- this is, simply, not true. It is not even close to being accurateLink to accurate data.

I believe you are from the UK, so perhaps you were noting UK data. I could not find a data source which matches your statement. This link to England data says the figure for age 75+ is 70%.

Please provide a source to support your "majority are over 80" assertion.

I was wrong to note your statement is not accurate. At this time, a simple majority of demographics matches your statement.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

For the United States -- this is, simply, not true. It is not even close to being accurate.  Link to accurate data.

I believe you are from the UK, so perhaps you were noting UK data. I could not find a data source which matches your statement. This link to England data says the figure for age 75+ is 70%.

Please provide a source to support your "majority are over 80" assertion.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/average-age-of-coronavirus-fatalities-is-82-pcwqrzdzz

Running Problem

Problem Child

Um. Although I tend to ignore you now, I am breaking this rule to state that I think you are an ass. In raw numbers, we'll be approaching world war 2-level deaths here in a few months. "Tiny percentage?" Fuck that shit. A LOT of people have died and will die. And many who "got over it" are still having terrible effects.

Plus the PTSD on all the caregivers.

There's no need to be a dick about it.

PS, as with the previous poster, if I get it, I will be in serious trouble. So, for real, don't be a dick.

United States had 418,000 military and civilian deaths.

The United States population was 132,164,569

Soooo.....0.316% of the united states died because of World War 2.

275,643 people have died in the united states with a positive COVID 19 test. (}actually its 2249,570 according to the CDC website. Bing has it wrong. WEIRD)

328,240,000 is apparently the population now.

Soooo.....0.0839%. If you go off the CDC numbers it's more like 0.07603%

If we use the CDC website we have.....0.802% of the population dead FROM ALL CAUSES as of December 2, 2020

Almost there. Only need about 400% increase in the number of deaths to approach World War two level deaths. Unless of course you look at just the number of deaths in which case we are at about 66%. 99% of the United states HASN'T died. Ninety. Nine.

Damn numbers being dicks.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I ❤️  rlopez

Agreed. What's not to love about him?