What's the healthiest running schedule? (Read 313 times)

andyaf

Hi,

I just graduated from college and will begin working full time in late July. My new work schedule is pretty hectic, I'll have to change my run schedule in order to continue running.

My question is, what running schedule is the "Healthiest" in your opinion. My goal is to be fit and live a healthy lifestyle.

Run 4 miles twice a week and 2 miles once a week

or

Run 2 mile 5 times a week

Thanks for the help!

-Andrew

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I don't like to run the same mileage every day. For me, I get stronger from changing up the mileage day to day. What works for one person may not work for the next person. What have you been running up to now?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

andyaf

I use to run 4 miles on day and 2 miles the next day. At one point, I was running up to 8 miles. My work schedule is intense so I can't pull 4 mile or 8 mile runs anymore. I'd say I'm not really trying to get stronger, just remain fit.

andyaf

I use to run 4 miles on day and 2 miles the next day. At one point, I was running up to 8 miles. My work schedule is intense so I can't pull 4 mile or 8 mile runs anymore. I'd say I'm not really trying to get stronger, just remain fit.

A Saucy Wench

Hi,

I just graduated from college and will begin working full time in late July. My new work schedule is pretty hectic, I'll have to change my run schedule in order to continue running.

With a hectic schedule and a goal of health my vote is c) Run what you can when you can.  Sometimes go longer.  Sometimes go faster.  Sometimes go slower and shorter. 

Don't take a day off (or long day or short day) because you are "supposed to".  Take a day off because you are tired, or because - as is very likely, hectic caught up.  I learned early on that if I took Tuesday off because it was a scheduled rest day, Wednesday would be the day all hell would break loose and I wouldnt get to run again until....?

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I think you need to get out at least 3 times a week.

However, once you are out there, stay out as long as you can.  After all, between getting ready for the run and taking a shower and getting a quick stretch in after the run, a few extra miles doesn't actually increase the time all that much!

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

mikeymike

Run 4 miles twice a week and 2 miles once a week

or

Run 2 mile 5 times a week

Between those two I'd choose 4 miles 5 times a week. No sense getting a pair of shorts dirty for less than 4 miles.

Runners run

Mpls Laker

Northstar Running

I hate to break it to you, but life doesnt get any simpler. Oh, how easy things would be if I only had to work full time and run. This isn't a jab at you or anything. I'm just sayin', add the joys of homeownership (my house flooded last week) and kids to the equation and your only option is to get your butt out of bed nice and early to get a run in or it just wont happen. Please forgive me if your new job is an 80 hour a week deathmarch or something. Rant aside, I agree with MikeyMike. 4 miles 5 times a week. Believe me, even if it sounds like a lot to you it really isn't that much time.

npaden

One that you can maintain and stick with.

Run as much as you can when you can.  Sometimes that might even be running twice a day then not running for 2 or 3 days.  Sometimes running in the morning, sometimes in the evening, sometimes during lunch.  If you're too tired or things are too hectic don't run, if you feel good and you have the time, run.

Sometimes it is a struggle to get out the door and get going, but almost always after a few hundred yards you will be happy that you did.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

Scooterscott

Unless you are a first year resident or something similar then you could probably find the time for a few longer runs.  If you are not really motivated then it might be time to reassess your personal running goals to see how they fit with the rest of your life and re-work your running schedule accordingly.

Most of the working world that I know, including me, try and squeeze in what we can during the week, 2-3 runs of 3-10 miles seems pretty common, with a trend towards the 3-5 mile distance most common and then if possible 1-2 longer on the weekends.  That is not an perfect training plan but seems to get most folks through events.  I would have to agree that the more you could make it part of your daily routine the easier it will be, so the 4 miles 5 times a week is a great regular routine especially if you don't have any racing or events planned.

tom1961

Old , Ugly and slow

Wait to you have small kids to talk  about being busy.

I only run 3-4 days a week and try to make each run as long as posssible

first race sept 1977 last race sept 2007

2019  goals   1000  miles  , 190 pounds , deadlift 400 touch my toes

bap

The more times the better.

Certified Running Coach
                          Crocked since 2013

NikoRosa

Funky Kicks 2019

I think it is best to try and squeeze in some running as many days as possible.  What is the recommendation now?  Something like half an hour of exercise a day?  I guess what makes me think this is better overall is because if you know you are going to run later, even if it is only a couple miles, you might be more mindful of eating well that day or getting enough sleep.

But I also agree with what others have said about just fitting it in the best you can.  Good luck with your new job!

Leah, mother of dogs

... a few extra miles doesn't actually increase the time all that much!

I like to ask myself, "Will anyone notice if this run ends twenty minutes later than it would if I stopped right now?"  The answer is almost always "No"

Q:  what do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?

A: