The Waltons aka Advanced Half Marathon Training Thread - 2022 edition (Read 444 times)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Welcome Caitlin  and Lance!

Great to see new faces already.  The rebranding of the groups is great - anyone trying to be faster is more than welcome here and it definitely shouldn't be restricted to any finishing times.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

I should add that I consider it a massive success that this thread trounced the marathon thread in 2021 by 244 pages to 171.  I mean, that's a comfortable win even without the weather complaining.

Caitlin - Piwi, one of the previous thread regulars, is also famous for enjoying training a lot more than racing.  And I have a feeling the same may have been true of JamesD if he joins us again this year.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Newbies!!! I suppose my reign of terror was a little too imposing for this new crop to pipe up, lol.

Lance - Welcome!

Caitlin - Welcome to you as well. I also get caught up in the training portion, and by the end it seems like the race itself almost gets in the way of my running.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

JamesD

JamesD

Happy New Year, everyone!  I was tempted not to post until the new year on the theory that it’s bad luck like racing in the race T-shirt, but I see that I’d be too far behind.

Welcome, Lance & Caitlin!  One question - would you rather we call you your real names or your screen names?

James, M59, Columbus, Georgia, USA.  Grew up here, but lived in seven countries working at U.S. embassies and in the Washington DC area before retiring in 2013 and moving back.  Married 24 years, with an 18-year-old son in his first year of university.  I ran xc & track for two years in high school until injuring a knee and for about a year in 1986-87 before reinjuring it.  Ran once a week most years from 2003 until I retired in 2013 and had more time.  Because I’m injury-prone, I’ve built up very gradually from ridiculously low mileage.

2014:    600 miles

2015:    694

2016:    839 (joined this group on RWOL)

2017: 1,336

2018: 1,190 (out 3 months injured)

2019: 1,692

2020: 1,897 (out 6 weeks injured)

2021: 2,168 (tbc)

As I ran more, my race performances gradually improved, but between age & injuries I seem to be plateauing.  Upper hamstring tendinopathy interrupted my training in 2018 and 2020 and has prevented me from doing much fast running recently.  Also, I hate the cold, so it’s a good thing I live where I do and tolerate heat pretty well.  (FYI, Lance & Caitlin, this board has a wide range of temperature preferences, and complaining is always welcome.  My best age-graded result came at 82F/28C, while someone who posted for a while a year or two ago had set a PR at 20F/-7C.)

These days, I’m just trying to get in around 40 easy-to-moderate mpw until the hamstrings heal.  I usually run three days out of every four, often swimming on the off day.  Most of my recovery runs are on the treadmill with short walk breaks - boring, but I can go very slowly for a long time and still keep my form, and it feels easier on my legs.  For 2022, I’d like to get back to running normally, do some tempos and speedwork, and eventually race. If the hamstring heals quickly, I might aim for a late-spring half, but October seems more likely, with a shorter race or two beforehand.

2021 goals:  Get/stay healthy, run consistently, half <1:30, PR or age-grade 80% at some distance.

Post-1987 PRs:  Half 1:30:14 (2019); 10K 39:35 (2019); 5K 19:12 (2017); Mile 5:37.3 (2020)

'24 Goals: consistency, age-graded PRs, half < 1:32

Hi Caitlin and Lance.

Goodbye Calsbear and Jmac 

Lance I recall your user name. I joined RW in 2010 on the sub 1.30 thread.

I'm 53 and live in the Bay of Plenty in New Zealand.

I did get a bit serious last year and ran a 10k time trial in around 37.20 and a flat half in 1.23.30.

Currently only hobby jogging 30kms per week but it's summer here and I love surfing and kayakfishing so running takes a back seat for a while. I love the fitness running brings and hope to keep it up for many years.

Big thanks to Flavio for managing the thread and I really appreciate the wizardry he does with the strava conversion table.

Look forward to following all your progress next year.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

ccoakley

Welcome, Lance & Caitlin!  One question - would you rather we call you your real names or your screen names?

Thanks for all the warm welcomes, Caitlin or CC to save on typing is good.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

arunnerd

Roads Scholar

James -- I would recommend screen names, or just "nerd" would work fine for me.

BTW, I have run in Columbus many times while visiting my SIL stationed there. Along the river trail is beautiful but those "Beware of Alligators" signs gave me pause.  They made me think twice about unscheduled pit stops.

I raced the 2013 Red Nose Half Marathon where I saw a special forces soldier run the entire half in a gas mask .  I took a DNF in the 2011 Soldier Marathon.  I got far enough into the race to fist-bump the commanding general and then shortly after that I pulled a muscle.  I was in great shape but it wasn't to be.  I never did put everything together for a good marathon.  There are just so damn many things that can go wrong.

I strive towards laconic wit, my wife says I'm halfway there.

arunnerd.blogspot.com

cc4life07

Wind is not my friend.

Hello everyone!

Ben here from MD, USA.  (I also just needed to join since there is another "cc" and to make everything confusing)  I've talked to a couple of you over at the sub 1:30 thread a while back but i fazed out of there for a bit.  I've been running since high school and college off an on.  I've pretty much given up hitting PRs in the smaller distances (Mile, 5K) so I'm trying my hand at doing better in HM.  I'm also a teacher and a current xc/track coach so always looking for any insight I can get on any training.  My yearly mileage hasn't exactly been tracked very well over the past couple years but this year (2021) I'll be able to hit around 1320 miles, while finishing up the last two months between 35-40mpw.  I do the majority of my miles after everyone has gone to bed so it can leave me with some pretty exhausting runs.

Looking forward to a successful 2022!

"Current" PRs

5K - 18:00 (4/19)   |   HM - 1:19:28 (4/22)

Next Race: A 5K of some sort (Goal: Sub 17:30)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Races added, let me know if any adjustment is required.

Calbears - You are also welcome here. And so is Mikkey

arunnerd (Lance), ccoakley (Caitlin) and cc4life07 (Ben) - Welcome aboard. Come for the advice, stay for the bad jokes!

I'm Flavio, 41, originally from the south of Brazil, currently living in Porto, Portugal.

Wife, no kids.

I've started running about 10 years ago and I have probably tried every wrong choice there is. Up until 2019 I had never done workouts safe for a quick training block in 2016. I was always getting injured when I tried. It turns out I just needed strength training. Once I started that I could do workouts just fine. It turns out strength training is the answer to 90% of the questions.

The 1500 is my favorite distance, I hope to run one more in 2022, hopefully in a proper race, not running by myself like the last time.

I'm not doing well with the running at the moment but I promise I'm a runner.

I'm currently not targeting any race.

Goals - stay healthy, stay injury free, have fun running

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

zebano

My next race is the Best Damn Race, New Orleans, March 20. My goal will depend heavily on my weight  .  If I can lose enough weight then 1:45 could be possible but 1:50 might be more realistic.

Is it really the best damn race? That's a bold claim. Now if it were the Best Dam Race, that's a much smaller set of races and you might get away with it  sorry I probably shouldn't give the new guy any grief. Best of luck with the weight loss, I tried that last year .... and netted a loss of 0.5 pounds assuming I don't gain it back in the next two days. Are you counting calories?

CC Those are some serious setbacks, helps put my own troubles in perspective. I too generally love the training a lot more than the racing, with some exceptions.

Flavio why you hating on me? I've been doing my strength training! what's it take to get my race included 

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Wow this looks like like the Advanced Marathon Training thread...

Name: Running Problem

Goals: race a half marathon?

Favorite Races: Leprechaun Chase 5k

Fun Fact: I identify more as a 3:56 marathoner at heart than I do as a sub-3 marathoner.

I haven't raced a half marathon in years. I've focused on the marathon. After watching how fast this thread moves last year I shouldn't be shocked at how fast it is moving this year. I tried to hang out last year, and just let other things get in the way and fell off. I think being more active here will get me into some more speed work days while not marathon training. I'm sure it helps maintain fitness much more than trying to regain it. two kids (10 months and 4),  a dog (not a cat person), I like french toast more than pancakes or waffles, and I support the use of Carbon Fiber shoes.

Grew up wrestling in 7th grade and stuck with it through high school. Never won anything and then got into lifting/body building for a few years. Dropped all activity for probably 5-8 years and started running again as part of training for Tough Mudder. Did three of those and just stuck with running as "cheap exercise." First running watch was a Garmin 410 which then became a "this thing is expensive so you'd better be serious about running" which created two years of running as many races as I could find while also trying to train for them. I found groups I could run with, and started making improvements with each race so I stuck with it. I feel very accomplished with my race results and anything better at this point is just more cookies in the pile of cookies I'm already looking at saying "It's not that I WANT more cookies. Cookies are great. Just add it to the pile." Somewhere in here I discovered the RWOL forums and followed the advice there, along with the migration to RA.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

arunnerd

Roads Scholar

Is it really the best damn race? That's a bold claim...  Are you counting calories?

It isn't just a good race.  It is the best damn race.  I am going to hold them to it and have the best damn time.  https://neworleans.bestdamnrace.com/

Not counting calories, just carbs.  My real goal is to control diabetes.  The weight loss is just a natural side effect.  I only mention it because when I compare my race times from 10 years ago to today, some of the difference is explained by age, but most of the difference is explained by weight.

Similarly, I am not worried about following any kind of formal training plan either.  I know my progress isn't going to depend much on whether or not I run 400m repeats next week.  Until I get closer to an optimal weight I need to just focus on staying healthy and building miles.  Run a lot, mostly slow, sometimes (rarely) fast.

I look forward to cheering for all of you this year.  You will be running more and faster than me, but not one of you is going to have more fun than me. This morning I did an easy 6 miles in a cold rain, grinning from ear to ear.

I strive towards laconic wit, my wife says I'm halfway there.

arunnerd.blogspot.com

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zeb - I was just jealous of your strength training LOL. Added now

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

ccoakley two kids in a stroller?? OOF!! I did long runs with my oldest 2 years ago and I'm positive it helped with mental toughness and physical endurance. Pushing a 6 year old in a stroller just sounds worse than work...and I hate my office. Don't be put off by people's speeds here though. I was originally, and truthfully they just want to help out. Heck I think even the fastest of us here have taken the advice from "slower" runners. So ask away, and be active to get the most out of it.

CC4life I was literally thinking 'oh great. two CC's' as I read your comment. I'm in a group chat with two "RPs" so the second one to join is "RP2". Maybe you can be CC4

flavio Put me down for the Leprechaun Chase 5k March 6, 2022. Goal would be a 19:30 (PR) which means I have to actually train with some speed work. Maybe I'll pull out the bible and see how many letters I can put into a workout. It's like Wheel of Fortune...RSTLNE (the 6 letters the game show gives you for the final puzzle).

nerd best of luck cutting the weight. It is how I started getting serious about running. For every mile of fun you have I promise to have one filled with anger and rage.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Welcome Ben and RP.

Ben I'm a morning runner but I can see why some people have to run late, usually because they have a young family.

RP good to have another " crazy " guy here so I don't look so bad 😅

My year total 3744kms 2340 miles

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "