running with phone (Read 177 times)

Daniel

I've alway run with my phone in my left pocket, but lately my left knee has been hurting.  Could this be part of my problem causing stress from the weight as it swings during my stride?  I've tried running with my phone in my right pocket today and I've ordered a neoprene waist belt to put it in, but it isn't here yet.  Today it felt better but my knee is sore now.  I've got my first half marathon this weekend that I've worked really hard for and don't want to miss out.  I plan on backing down my mileage after this weekend as well. Thanks for any advice!

BeeRunB

Save a few, almost every sore spot or injury you'll get while training is from training too much--exceeding the training load your body can handle as of now. Sometimes it's stretching too much, but mostly training too much. I don't think the weight of a phone is going to end up causing some kind of imbalance resulting in a sore knee. You probably need some rest. Don't be afraid to take a few days off before the race to rest up. You won't lose your fitness. Good luck in the race.

I agree with Jimmy that you must take rest before to let your legs soreness right.

Daniel

I agree with Jimmy that you must take rest before to let your legs soreness right.

Not long after I posted this I started running with a flip belt and the pain in my knee stared feeling better immediately. I did rest it some but I think the flip belt really helped with the added stress on my knee from my phone swinging and pounding against my thigh

I Run To Eat :)

I've alway run with my phone in my left pocket, but lately my left knee has been hurting.  Could this be part of my problem causing stress from the weight as it swings during my stride?  I've tried running with my phone in my right pocket today and I've ordered a neoprene waist belt to put it in, but it isn't here yet.  Today it felt better but my knee is sore now.  I've got my first half marathon this weekend that I've worked really hard for and don't want to miss out.  I plan on backing down my mileage after this weekend as well. Thanks for any advice!

Awesome !  I also use a thing called a Spibelt and it's a stretchy belt pocket that fits around your waiste. Lots of sports shops sell them and non-runners think it's ridiculous but when it holds keys, phone, wallet securely against your body without banging or jingles, it's awesome !

BTW, just wanna say, yeah agree with prev post reducing activity when there's pain. You'll get pain in other areas sometime in the future so remember that as it will help you heaps !

brycelob

I doubt that the phone is causing that much of an imbalance but I guess it could if you run long enough lol. I run with my phone in an armband because I can't stand my phone swinging in my pocket while I run. But when I do my long runs or I'm competing I wear my Nike Waistpack.

I would agree that it's best to just give it some rest before your big race. I slipped off the path 3 weeks before I ran the Chicago Marathon a couple years back and rolled my ankle. The whole thing swoll up and I contemplated backing out of the race. I ended up going through with it but took the last 3 weeks to rest and went on a small run the week before and ended up being fine and finishing.