Brooks PureCadence (or PureFlow?) (Read 5681 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I wouldn't walk around the house in my Pure Flow's (low drop makes them uncomfortable to me for anything slower than about 8:30/mi pace, YMMV).  But I sure as hell like to run fast in them.

Interesting...does walking barefoot bother you?  I generally live in Keens (I've got sandals and a pair of flat Mary-Janes)...I wonder what the drop is on those.  

One of the shoes I really liked years ago were a NB shoe I wear-tested.  Unfortunately it was Winter (the same year we had 120"+ of snow) and they were a little drafty for doing a lot of miles.  I forget the model #, but they were a neutral trainer designed for doing grass runs and speed work.  I seem to recall they had a very low drop.  I regret not ordering a pair...I think they don't make them anymore, but they look similar to some of the NB barefoot-ish shoes.  That's something I should look at, in addition to the Brooks Pure line.  Fit may be less of an issue, too, since NB still offers widths in most of their products.  I've just not been all that fond of their newer last, which has me looking at other options.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

If you're concerned at all about stability, I wouldn't go with the Flow. It's as neutral as shoes come.

IMO, the Cadence is nothing but the Flow WITH the supporty-thing on the bottom. I don't wear stability shoes, but if I did, I'd buy the Cadence.

Size-wise, I've found the Flow to be fairly true, but I'm not a guy prone to size issues.

I do think the shoe is kind of unique (this would apply to the Cadence, too) in that you get a decent amount of cushion WITH a low heel-to-toe drop.  One of the problems I've had is switching back and forth between flats and traditional shoes with normal heel to toe drops... I like keeping it the same.

I've always been fairly ambivalent to Brooks but am all "pure" now - doing speedwork and races in the Connect, and all other stuff in the Flow.

The biggest negative, as pointed out in this month's Running Times, is the thin outsole. I'm hard on shoes and rarely get 300 miles on mine. I've had to replace my Flow's around 250. The good news, as pointed out, is that at $90 or so, it's relatively affordable. Andddd, it's also true that many of these minimalist shoes don't last as long. Turns out less stuff lasts less long.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

If you're concerned at all about stability, I wouldn't go with the Flow. It's as neutral as shoes come.

You know, I'm not really sure that I am.  When I first started running I was in moderate-to-high stability shoes.  After a year or so I had worked my wait down to shoes with very mild stability and flexible forefoot area (mostly due to peroneal tendon issues in stiffer shoes).  Sometimes I still feel discomfort in my right peroneal tendon (outer side of my foot), which makes me think that neutral may work for me...maybe not for all runs, but for some shorter ones.  I'd probably still throw Superfeet in them.  My right knee gets bitchy after just a couple of runs if I remove them.

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Zoomy, it seems to me that you really really want to buy the pure flow.

Go ahead.

Lazy idiot

Interesting...does walking barefoot bother you?

No.  I think it's just in my head.  When I'm barefoot, I know I'm barefoot.  When I'm in shoes, my head expects more drop.  To me, they really push the mid/forefoot strike.  They're like a slightly bulkier racing flat.

Tick tock

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoomy, it seems to me that you really really want to buy the pure flow.

Go ahead.

I'm not sure what I want to buy...I've been wearing the same shoe for so long that I'm not even sure what's out there (and now it seems like so many manufacturers are doing wider toe boxes, so I'm not limited to *wide* shoes, like I once was.  I wasn't even aware of these shoes (the entire line) until it popped-up on Running Warehouse when I did a search for something else.  

Sometimes I wonder if all the cycling has changed my biomechanics to some degree, too.  I'm really more worried about buying too much shoe.  I think it was almost 4 years ago that I was having knee issues...the only thing that ended up working was going to less shoe, but "supplementing" with Superfeet (only because "more" shoe was stiffer and ticked-off the outsides of my feet, so I needed the forefoot flex of a lighter shoe, but the stability/arch support of the insoles).  I'm not really having knee issues, but when I do have twinges I almost suspect mild ITBS, since it almost feels like the outside of my right thigh and hip is tight, down to my knee...can't tell if that's muscle or tendon or what, since it's not a really defined or sharp pain, just more of a tightness.  It's different than the more substantial knee issues I had a while back...those were more medial-side.

~ Sarah Kay

I've always been fairly ambivalent to Brooks but am all "pure" now - doing speedwork and races in the Connect, and all other stuff in the Flow.

The biggest negative, as pointed out in this month's Running Times, is the thin outsole. I'm hard on shoes and rarely get 300 miles on mine. I've had to replace my Flow's around 250. The good news, as pointed out, is that at $90 or so, it's relatively affordable. Andddd, it's also true that many of these minimalist shoes don't last as long. Turns out less stuff lasts less long.

I THOUGHT I was only going to be getting around 200 or so in my pure connect but  I've gotten over 500 miles in the first pair and I'm over 400 in my second pair. 

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

so Stevie Ray you say that the Brooks reps had you go to the Cadence because of your use of the Adreneline?   interesting as I have been using the Adreneline (stability) or other shoes (ST 4 racers, Adreneline ASR) based on the Adreneline platform.   but when I tried on the 4 Pure Project shoes the PureFlow (neutral) felt like a natural fit for me.  Definitely will go back & try on the Cadence & Connect again.    When I originally tried each shoe on was not thinking of what type of shoe they were, did not ask & they did not tell me.  interesting. 

I wouldn't walk around the house in my Pure Flow's (low drop makes them uncomfortable to me for anything slower than about 8:30/mi pace, YMMV).  But I sure as hell like to run fast in them.

Drew! I had a feeling you would like them!  Did you try the Pure Connect?  No one is mentioning them so now I'm wondering what I might be missing.

Oh, and with regard to the durability comments that I am seeing throughout this thread, my guess is that by running more efficiently you don't miss the cushioning as it breaks down.  We'll see-I'm close to 100 miles in my first pair, and only have one run in my second so I have some time left in both.

...the only thing that ended up working was going to less shoe, but "supplementing" with Superfeet

FWIW, this is my current setup.  Knock on wood, my legs and hips feel better than they have in the past.

I've bumped into a couple shoe models that didn't seem to want to accommodate the Superfeet, but other than that, the world's my running-shoe oyster.  I'd take the Superfeet to the store and try them in the Pure shoes.  I know sticking Superfeet into shoes designed to let your feet move/deform/flex naturally and freely is contradictory ... but if you like them and they work, go for it.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I know sticking Superfeet into shoes designed to let your feet move/deform/flex naturally and freely is contradictory ... but if you like them and they work, go for it.

We must have really unique biomechanics, or feet, or something.  I even wear Superfeet in my cycling shoes.  They are just more comfortable under my feet than the stock insoles that come with cycling shoes.

~ Sarah Kay

Well, that's just stupid.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Well, that's just stupid.

I snorted coffee.  RA needs a smilie for that! Tongue

~ Sarah Kay

Lazy idiot

Drew! I had a feeling you would like them!  Did you try the Pure Connect?  No one is mentioning them so now I'm wondering what I might be missing.

Oh, and with regard to the durability comments that I am seeing throughout this thread, my guess is that by running more efficiently you don't miss the cushioning as it breaks down.  We'll see-I'm close to 100 miles in my first pair, and only have one run in my second so I have some time left in both.

What up, dude?  None of the old fun crowd is left at the store on Saturdays, but I keep plugging along.

I didn't try the Connect.  In my visit, I tried on the Flow, a lightweight New Balance trainer, and the Mizuno Wave Precision.  Whichever NB I wore, I liked just as well as the Flow.  But I decided that I'd go with the garish neon green.

Tick tock

xor

Speaking of, those who saw the Pure shoes after they first came out but not since...

They don't just come in "weird black and green" anymore.  (although, if you like 'weird black and green', cool. My Pure Grits are, and I like them too).  They have several color designs for each one now.

My Cadence are white.