Long run nutrition/energy food? (Read 1664 times)

At some health food, stores even some specialty grocery stores you buy a pound of nuts and grind it into peanut butter right on the spot. Can't get much purer than that!
    True..but I have an idea where Joni lives and don't believe there is that much access to this type of food, plus, I would hold that almonds are better food to eat than peanuts...not superior...just better...
    pokey52

Zoomie, First of all Good Luck on your marathon. Just take it one mile at a time and don"t worry about the clock. You"ll do great and have a good time. As far as an upset stomach on long runs, we've always had good luck with "Ginger Chews" theyre sort of like gummie bears for adults. Mostly sugar and starch with a real ginger bite. We get ours from Zombie Runner out on the west coast. They hold up well in a pocket and they are individually wrapped. BTW you guys are killing my diet with all this talk about Pop Tarts and Chocolate Cherry Dr. Pepper.
        True..but I have an idea where Joni lives and don't believe there is that much access to this type of food, plus, I would hold that almonds are better food to eat than peanuts...not superior...just better...
        We do have about 3 health food stores around here, and then if you want to travel a bit I'm sure you could find more, especially in the Grand Rapids area. I *had* a bag of almonds, but they seem to have disappeared! Evil grin So I'll be picking some up when I'm at the store, as well as some of these: Photobucket Maybe it'll distract my stomach enough ....if not, it'll be fun trying!!
          What about half a banana?
            oh baby... orange sport beans now that is it.. I have tried the lemon lime ones... and they did the trick for me... I like them... I ran a 15k in sept that had no sports drink and I felt I needed just a little kick of electrolytes and sugar... Orange is my favorite flavor for anything... so I'm off to the internet to order me some up... I took organic jelly beans with me on my long run on sat... and I liked them... but if I was sweating more I think I would want the electrolytes... so sport beans it is... thanks!
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

True..but I have an idea where Joni lives and don't believe there is that much access to this type of food
              Utopian Market has a peanut butter mill...I'm just sayin'. Wink And Smucker's Natural PB is like crack in a jar. Seriously, it takes a lot of will for me to not eat that by the tablespoon full. Awesome on toast pre-run. I also like a fried egg on toast or a bagel. I eat that before a lot of races.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Great suggestions! I had forgotten about Fig Newtons (I would think the other fruit flavors would be good, too...mmm...loves me some raspberry Newtons)! I like the filled pretzel idea, too--plus that would help with any sodium loss. So is there really not much benefit to those actual "sports nutrition" bars? More $$ than they're worth...? I wonder if some of my hunger issues are weight-loss related. I tend to increase my carbs and calories considerably a day or two before each long run, but for the rest of the week tend to keep things fairly low (trying to average 1600-1800 calories/day over the course of a week). Training for a longish race AND losing weight is tough. k
                Zoom-zoom, I would go with Zone Perfect bars (http://www.zoneperfect.com/). They taste great and have a not-too-high-not-too-low sugar level. I am thinking Fig Newtons may not go down to easily if you're really thirsty...

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Zoom-zoom, I would go with Zone Perfect bars (http://www.zoneperfect.com/). They taste great and have a not-too-high-not-too-low sugar level. I am thinking Fig Newtons may not go down to easily if you're really thirsty...
                  Yeah, they are dry...especially the new whole wheat ones. I will have to look at those Zone bars sometime.

~ Sarah Kay

I wonder if some of my hunger issues are weight-loss related. I tend to increase my carbs and calories considerably a day or two before each long run, but for the rest of the week tend to keep things fairly low (trying to average 1600-1800 calories/day over the course of a week). Training for a longish race AND losing weight is tough.
                    I just reread that. What do you eat in a typical day?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

KB780

I have used dried Banana Chips and Pretzels along with a Hammer gel it. KB780 Smile

uncontrollable

Friday I am planning what will be my longest run yet. I will likely be going 14.5-15 miles and am planning to run for over 2.5 hours. Thus far for my runs of 2.5 hours or less I have taken 1-2 GU pouches and some diluted Gatorade in the Camelbak, but I'm thinking I might want something with a bit more "substance" as my runs approach 3 hours. Are there particular energy/meal bars that anyone can recommend? Something that will give me fairly rapid energy, but also keep my stomach occupied--I HATE running when my tummy starts growling. k
                        Hi...so I take the Gu for energy but not so much for the 'tummy growling' thing. Definately try tweaking your pre-run foods. Also, maybe start sippin' water/gatorade a little sooner than you normally do but just little sips to kind of keep something in your stomach. I use Gu & recently Jelly Belly things but I find once I start using it - I have to keep it up every 1/2hr or I have a big dip in energy. On that note - I used to do 3 sometimes 4 Gu for a marathon but found it caused the bowel to act a little crazy! Nowadays I take a Gu at 15-16 and one more at 20-21, that seems to be the perfect amount for me. The beauty of 'training' runs is you CAN experiment. Some of your ideas were good & would probably work but it comes down to the whole portability thing. Hey, during the race if your hubby can hand you a rice krispie treat a couple times so you don't have to carry them - Mmmmmmmmm! Perfect! Just have him hand you a baby wipe too so your fingers don't stick to your ipod! Cool Keep on training! Kelly Wink

peace

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I just reread that. What do you eat in a typical day?
                          Hmmm...most days (when I'm not totally off-the-wagon...like last week. Ugh) I'll eat a bagel with cream cheese or PB for breakfast, coffee, a sandwich for lunch, some dried fruit, veggie, maybe some nuts, some sort of meat for supper, whole wheat pasta or brown rice, and a largeish salad before bed (lettuce, a couple of TB of cheese, 1 TB of dressing), maybe a cereal or granola bar for snack.

~ Sarah Kay

uncontrollable

Protein! Protein WILL help - you won't get that hungry feeling. I can never seem to get enough from my food sources so I do a shake with protein powder & soy milk - one glass 20GM & I feel full for 2 hours even if I only do that one drink (not that I use it instead of food). I just read this last night in Runner's World : 'A 165lb runner needs between 75-120 GM protein daily.' That is a lot more than 'non-runners'. I round it off to 75-100 according to size/wgt but you get the picture. When I'm busy @ work - I tend to do terrible with this and I feel it. It stinks! So hard to have the perfect balance.

peace

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Um. Nevermind. Wink MTA: I ran my loing run yesterday with just a cnadybar at mile 21 and a couple bites of another at mile 37, with Gatorade along the way. I had some protein in the form of an omlet about an hour after I had finished. Today I feel just fine.
                              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I loves me some protein...I'm quite the carnivore (I probably get at least 75 grams in the average day). I definitely make a point after longer runs to get protein into me pretty fast. I'm intrigued by the sports drinks that contain protein, too...though I worry about stomach issues. I think I might have to try one of those pretty soon on a long run.

~ Sarah Kay