Covid 19 (Read 215 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

The points that:

a) the vast majority of people who get Covid are going to be fine, with either no symptoms or symptoms that do not require hospitalization, including those with pre-existing conditions

and

b) there are some who get it who suffer long term effects or die

are both true and not mutually exclusive.

Combine those points with the point that the shutdowns have come at great social and economic cost, with the cost distributed unequally, and you have our societal dilemma in a nutshell.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Elite Jogger

Combine those points with the point that the shutdowns have come at great social and economic cost, with the cost distributed unequally, and you have our societal dilemma in a nutshell.

Yep.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

This is too good not to share. From having daily televised news conferences to (potentially) being forgiven for letting people die because he decided a nursing home was where you should send positive COVID 19 patients when no vaccine existed, and covered up how bad of a decision it was.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/cuomo-faces-calls-to-resign-amid-allegations-of-hiding-nursing-home-covid-deaths/ar-BB1dDvoR?ocid=uxbndlbing

Andrew Cuomo – New York’s governor who was once hailed the king of the US Covid-19 response – was facing fresh calls for his removal from office on Friday after new allegations emerged that he and senior staff covered up the extent of the virus deaths in the state’s nursing homes.

The New York Post said it obtained a leaked recording of the governor’s top aide, Melissa DeRosa, admitting to Democrats in private conversations this week that the administration withheld the true data because it feared the Department of Justice would use the figures to pursue complaints of state misconduct.

“Basically, we froze,” the newspaper said DeRosa told the lawmakers, referring to tweets from Donald Trump last August that she said turned the issue of New York’s nursing home deaths “into this giant political football”, and his calls for the justice department to investigate.

“We were in a position where we weren’t sure if what we were going to give to the Department of Justice, or what we give to you guys, what we start saying, was going to be used against us while we weren’t sure if there was going to be an investigation.”

It emerged earlier this week that New York’s nursing home coronavirus death toll was far higher than Cuomo’s administration had initially admitted. New figures were released following a court order in response to a freedom of information request by the Empire Center for Public Policy showed a significant rise from about 9,000 to close to 15,000 once the previously omitted deaths of nursing home residents who died in hospitals were factored in.

Who cares [if they] died in the hospital, died in a nursing home? They died,” Cuomo said at a news conference in January after New York’s attorney general, Letitia James, released a damning report stating nursing home deaths were 50% higher than his administration had claimed.

DeRosa’s admission added fuel to growing calls for Cuomo’s resignation, impeachment or removal from office, and on Friday the New York congressman Tom Reed said he would pursue legal action against the governor’s aide.

“I’m going to be looking at filing a personal criminal complaint against this individual today in local law enforcement offices as well as federal offices, because she needs to be arrested today,” he said in an interview with Fox Business.

Other Republicans were quick to attack Cuomo. “If the governor is involved, he should be immediately removed from office,” said Rob Ortt, state senator and minority leader, in a statement.

DeRosa’s admission, he said, “was the latest in a series of disturbing acts of corruption by his administration. Instead of apologizing or providing answers to the thousands of New York families who lost loved ones, the governor’s administration made apologies to politicians behind closed doors for the ‘political inconvenience’ this scandal has caused them.”

Nick Langworthy, the state GOP chair, said: “Andrew Cuomo has abused his power and destroyed the trust placed in the office of governor. Prosecution and impeachment discussions must begin right away,” according to Politico.

New York Democrats are also unhappy with Cuomo, who was on Friday scheduled to be in Washington DC to join a conference with Joe Biden on the Covid-19 American Rescue Plan.

“This is a betrayal of the public trust. There needs to be full accountability for what happened, and the legislature needs to reconsider its broad grant of emergency powers to the governor,” Andrew Gounardes, the Democratic state senator, said on Twitter.

Andrea Stewart-Cousins, the senate majority leader, was equally scathing. “Crucial information should never be withheld from entities that are empowered to pursue oversight,” she said in a statement. “Politics should not be part of this tragic pandemic and our responses to it must be led by policy, not politics.”

On Friday, DeRosa was attempting to downplay the situation, according to the New York Times, claiming that the administration had to temporarily shelve state legislators’ calls for greater transparency over the figures to prioritize demands from the justice department.

“We informed the houses [of the New York legislature] of this at the time. We were comprehensive and transparent in our responses to the DoJ and then had to immediately focus our resources on the second wave and vaccine rollout,” she said in a statement.

New York state had recorded a total Covid-19 death toll of 45,453 by Friday morning, according to the Johns Hopkins coronavirus database, second in the nation to California (46,022).

The New York health commissioner, Howard Zucker, told lawmakers this week that the number of nursing home residents who had died was 13,297, which rose to 15,049 with the inclusion of deaths from other assisted living or adult care facilities.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

Elite Jogger

You gotta laugh. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

You gotta laugh. 

This is about as good as my Governor saying high school sports can start back up, but the same sport run by a private organization isn't safe enough. Somehow COVID 19 for high school cross county with spectators is less contagious than the general public doing a 5k. Oh and while participating in sports one doesn't need to wear a mask. Probably because this respiratory virus that spreads through water droplets doesn't spread from runners like it does elderly people eating lunch on a bench, or family dinners with more than two households or 4 people total.

Click image for larger version
Name:	FB_IMG_1613534935493.jpg
Views:	1184
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	314316

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

Elite Jogger

The elderly folk (some who’ve been shielding for nearly a year) will probably look at that notice and feel guilty about sitting down on the bench. You really couldn’t make this shit up. 

Running Problem

Problem Child

The elderly folk (some who’ve been shielding for nearly a year) will probably look at that notice and feel guilty about sitting down on the bench. You really couldn’t make this shit up. 

It's okay. Australia says weddings are on hold while United States can't make up it's mind on what is and isn't safe. Heck, my state is going to 75% capacity adn only 3 feet of distance for schools in most counties (one county is full distance learning) while other industries can't operate or must operate at 25% capacity. All with 10% of the population vaccinated. MY Governor is still upset his dream of ONLY vaccinating the 70+ crowd wasn't followed. Turns out when the vaccine was sent to the hospitals pretty much anyone who wanted to get it got it, people jumped the lines or found a way to inoculate friends/family and the Governor never saw THAT coming. Pretty much said "I'm disappointed you all rushed out to get vaccinated and didn't follow what I had in mind and said I wanted." 10% vaccinated. 10...and he's talking about allowing events of 500 people. Super-spreader Republican events are the only things not allowed apparently.

attikusfinch

spam
                  Teresadfp

One day at a time

Meanwhile, my friend's son, in his late 20s, has such severe complications from COVID (heart-related) that he has been suspended from his air traffic controller duties.  There is some question as to whether he will be able to continue in the career he worked so hard to get into.  His wife, a flight instructor for the Air Force, also had a serious case.  These people are about as healthy and fit as is possible.  So it's not just 80-year-olds who suffer.

Elite Jogger

Some people are unlucky with covid, just like some people are unlucky with cancer even though they’ve lead a healthy life.

The average covid death age is something like 82. Shield the older/vulnerable folk until they’ve had a vaccine. I feel sorry for the younger generation because they’ll be picking up the covid bill. 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The average covid death age is something like 82. Shield the older/vulnerable folk until they’ve had a vaccine. I feel sorry for the younger generation because they’ll be picking up the covid bill. 

I'd say that is either questionable or outdated.  As of February 13 slightly less than 32% of COVID deaths in the US were age 85 or older. Almost 19% were under age 65.

2021 Races:

05/15/21 - 3DATF 12-hour

TBD - 6-hour

TBD - 50K

TBD - 100K (maybe)
                             TBD - 24-hour (maybe)

AndyTN

I think it is the deaths per 100,000 which still has many younger people frustrated. More than 2.2% of the US population over 85 have died with the virus and 0.8% of 75-84 year-olds. The number of people 25-34 who have died with it is 0.0064% of that age group's population.

The virus is very risky for people over 75 and incredibly risky for those over 85. The reason why they don't make up a larger percentage of total deaths with the virus is because majority of people don't make it to 85 and only 2% of the population is over 85.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statistics_of_the_COVID-19_pandemic_in_the_United_States#Deaths_by_age

My grandparents are 90 and live 10 minutes away but besides setting groceries in their garage, I haven't seen them in a year. I don't like that but it isn't worth the risk. Someone who is 30 is 7 times more likely to die from poisoning/overdose and 3 times more likely to die in a car crash than to die with the virus.

Memphis / serious runner for 3 years / 34 male

5k - 21:01 (SEP 19) / 10k - 46:30 (SEP 19) / Half - 1:40:17 (NOV 19) / Full - maybe someday

Races - When will we race again???

Elite Jogger

I'd say that is either questionable or outdated.  As of February 13 slightly less than 32% of COVID deaths in the US were age 85 or older. Almost 19% were under age 65.

Maybe that is because there is an obesity problem?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It’s

not

just

a

mortality

issue.

JFC, a year into this and people are still making this out to be a zero-sum game. Most people survive a cancer diagnosis, too. It doesn’t mean that diagnosis isn’t a total shit deal for the remainder of a person’s existence.

'21 Goals:

No published goals...not going to jinx things • $500

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

JMac11

Taper Czar

Fun stat I learned today:

In the UK, there have been 685K swabs for the flu the past 7 weeks.

Number of positive cases? 0

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:15:28 (3/20)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Next Race: Whatever COVID-19 will allow me to run