Really long runs in the middle of training cycle (Read 182 times)

Birdwell

For my birthday this year I am going to do one of those ever so popular "run your age" kind of things.

It will be somewhere between 35-43 miles (I have not yet come to terms with the age I am going to be) . The route I've planned is going to get me around 8,000-9,000 of elevation gain, too.

Do "fun" runs like this do more harm than good when done during a training cycle?

Are they beneficial in any way?

When I attempt this run, I'll be a week or two shy of the middle of my 20 week training plan for a November 50K.

My originally planned long run for that week would have been in the 17-20 mile range.

Should I do a mini taper in the week leading up to it and then take an easy week after?

p.s. if you look at my log, I've had an off month. I blame the new baby in the house and my discovery of Snickers Almond bars.

July will be much better.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

Your log is private so It can't be looked at.

Are you doing the run ultra style with walk breaks? If so, what? Like a 80/20 split (roughly 80% running and 20% walking)?

If you are running all of it, it's likely going to take a great deal out of you. Particularly if you run it at anything but a recovery-type pace. But for ultra training, such run/walk distances are not that uncommon in training.

If you are used to 17-20 mile long runs, and suddenly want to double that, it is likely to cause a good bit of muscle damage that is going to require 3-5 weeks of recovery to get back you back into your normal training routine. You might have to do a post-marathon recovery phase following it. I'd say that might throw a wrench into your 50K plan.

I'm not sure this is wise considering you will be in the middle of a training plan. Perhaps cake and ice cream and funny hats would be a better celebration. Or pick a 1/2 marathon race for your birthday instead. The recovery will be much shorter and it will likely add to your fitness rather than derail your 50K training.

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

If the route is one you've been wanting to run and dream about it at night, then just do it. Since it sounds like you've got a route picked out, it should be a good run. It will be mentally refreshing, esp. if you just had a bad month. Depending where you're coming from, it may not be physically refreshing, esp. if the downhills are steep, but walking helps.

I did b2b 8-6hr runs/hikes last year during anaerobic phase - just seemed more worthwhile to me. (more hiking than running cuz of last year's 90+ heat). But the break from a schedule was refreshing. (I generally don't use schedules since they don't work for me.) It didn't have as much vertical as what you're proposing.

"So many people get stuck in the routine of life that their dreams waste away. This is about living the dream." - Cave Dog
        Birdwell

The log should be viewable now. It was set so group members could view it.

I should mention, the run is planned for mid-August.

cheeseburger, I hate cake 

NHLA

I would not try this without a solid 50+ mpw base.

Gang Name "Pound Cake"

The log should be viewable now. It was set so group members could view it.

I should mention, the run is planned for mid-August.

cheeseburger, I hate cake 

Ok...

How about this... http://www.livebetteramerica.com/recipes/red-white-and-blue-fruit-cake/e28205b2-d5bc-49bd-9a6e-a59e7fa9ac88

Smile

- Scott

2014 Goals: First Marathon - BQ2016 <3:40 (3:25:18) - 1/2M <1:45 - 5K <22:00

2014 Marathons: 05/04 Flying Pig (3:49:02) - 09/20 Air Force (BQ 3:25:18) - 11/01 Indianapolis Monumental

bap

It's a shame you don't live in Canada, as you'd only have to run 2/3 of the distance.

Certified Running Coach
                Crocked since 2013

Birdwell

So here's a map of what I was going to do

Cedar to Parowan via Brian Head

The route isn't exact, it's hard to map through the canyons. It may be a little longer, or a  little shorter. I was going to add distance at the high point of the run if i needed to get some extra miles.

I'm basically running to the next town over, via the highest point in Southern Utah.

I've given it some thought. I could bail out of the run at Brian Head peak and count it in kilometers.

The first half is the most scenic, going through the Ashdown Gorge wilderness and Cedar Breaks National Monument, and contains most of the elevation gain. The map has it (elevation) a little lower than data I've got from other hikers in the area.

edit: o.k., i got the link to work and the map is viewable.

BeeRunB

After a certain amount of time, there is no training benefit, except for the mental aspect (huge factor). This effort will take a lot out of you and you'll need a lot of recovery. The important thing is that you've conceived a vision of something you want to create in your life, and you're going to attempt to make it happen. And it's a grand vision. Once created, you'll have a pretty good story to tell us, and with which to freak out the muggles (non-endurance pipples).  To quote Captain Picard: "Make it so." 

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Suggestion: run your age for the week in miles. Looking at your log. 40 miles appears to be your highest week.. Run a 43 mile week. I am guessing a 43 mile week will fit your training schedule.

I did a 55 mile week for my birthday a few years ago.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/