Adding biking for cross-training (Read 1451 times)

I am planning to add a day of biking in the next part of my training.  I am wondering how long I should ride to get the equivalent of 4 mile easy run in terms of aerobic fitness.  Keep in mind that I am slow, so 4 miles running would take me close to an hour.  Is it a matter of HR?  If so, I have a HR Monitor I could pull out of the closet and dust off.  I also have access to a trainer for indoor use, and hills outside if need be.  

Thanks!

Queen of 3rd Place

It's harder to get your HR up cycling than running when you're a runner, and vice-versa. So for now it might be better to go for perceived effort when you're riding. Other than that, I would do what you did when you started running, maybe start with 30 min or whatever and work up over a few weeks. In my experience, you can ramp up your cycling miles or time on bike a bit faster than you can ramp up your running.

Oh...and have fun!

Ex runner

chrimbler

I use a 3:1 ratio

3 km riding = 1km running

Some people say its 4:1 but I tend to think its more 3:1

Go for a 12mile ride see what you think

Run like you stole it!

SMART Approach

I think adding a 15 mile bike ride would be awesome cross training to add in addition to your running schedule. If using it to replace a run, it will not have the same effects as running. If looking for variety, go for it. If trying to enhance race performance, run instead.

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

TimButterfield

It sounds like you are on the same speed level as me, 4 mph.  I'm doing low HR training (walk/run) and added biking for cross-training.  I have a mountain bike I put on a magnetic trainer.  A mountain bike is slower, but I'm not after speed with this.  Here is what I hope to gain by this:  simulating speed work and hill training.  By using a low gear, I can practice higher cadence and still keep a low HR.  Or, after a low gear warm up, I can move up several gears, try to maintain a good cadence, and monitor the HR and mileage.  As an example, here is my workout for this evening.  I just pressed the lap button on my Garmin for each mile on the cycle computer.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I use a 3:1 ratio

3 km riding = 1km running

Some people say its 4:1 but I tend to think its more 3:1

Go for a 12mile ride see what you think

3:1 seems about right to me, too...that's generally what I've seen others reference, as well.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

RunNoelle09

I have also heard 3:1 and 4:1 both. I think honestly either one would be fine to use. Biking is excellent cross training... especially if you do a hill workout setting. It can get so difficult you can barely pedal and that is the kind of biking that increases heart rate. I've seen my heart rate get pretty high on a bike. It is just harder to do than running. I think adding biking is a great idea... have fun!