Left foot went numb at 3 mile mark (Read 2386 times)

xor

Dude, my foot/feet go numb on pretty much every run I do when it's 40 degrees or colder out. Usually around 20 minutes into my run and then after another 20 minutes or so of me running/wiggling my toes while running, they go un-numb. It's cold out, blood flow is directed to places that need it more then your toes. Stop freaking out. Run more.
    In your other thread, B, you started with women's shoe => too narrow => problem. Except that the shoes weren't narrow (and weren't women's shoes). So let's get some clarification here... building on Thunder's response. You wrote "numb". Do you really mean you couldn't feel your foot? Or was it that tingly 'foot fell asleep' thing? Or neither... describe the sensation or lack thereof. B, was it your whole foot? Or just part of it? And how cold is it where you are running?? It could be something very bad. But more likely... much, much more likely... it is not. Breathe.

By numb I mean completely numb. The entire foot would be pricked with needles and I wouldn't feel a thing. It starts with the back of my ankle feeling very tight and then weak, and then my foot starts getting the tingly feeling then goes completely numb. It stayed completely numb for a mile of walking until I got home. Its about usually 17-32 degrees when I run. Which could be a problem because I never noticed this problem in high school cross country, which was always fall or spring. The shoes I had before just didnt fit me well. I dont know how to describe it more than that. The new ones I have are amazing and fit me perfectly and I feel great for the first 2.5 miles. But it always happens after that. I would love to run more, but with people on that thread saying their physicians told them to stop or risk permanent nerve damage, it's a bit daunting.
      2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
      Chris UK

....and presumably for it to be a cold issue both feet would be effected ??

3000 miles

Sub 19:00 for 5K  05-03-13 Clee Prom 5K - 19:00:66 that was bloody close!

Sub-40:00 for 10K 17-03-13 Gainsborough 10K - 39:43

Sub 88:00 for HM

Thats true. It's never the right foot. I just find it weird that those 50 some-odd people on that forum ALL had it happen at the 3 mile mark. Regardless of their fitness levels.
          2009 Goals: Run 5x a week, Iron Horse Half-Marathon on a 6-month C2HM Program that completely made up and is probably unhealthy.
          xor

2.5 miles... which means you've been outside for 20 minutes or so in 20ish degree temperatures. So, it is possible that it is simply the temps. Then again, one would wonder why it isn't both feet. Earlier in the thread, you mentioned one day when it did not happen. Was it perhaps warmer that day? I'm not trying to force you into believing it is the temps. I really don't know. But I'm trying to paint a bigger picture than numb => really terrible thing. Going to see a doctor is not a bad idea, but it may (or may not) be tricky to diagnose w/o the symptoms present. And it is unlikely the doc will go on a run with you, unless your doctor is Trent. BUT, perhaps they'd quickly knock off some of those dreaded 'oh no!' things from your list. If you have good insurance, go for it. If you've recently dug up a treasure chest, go for it. If you like I was when I was your age (broke, bad insurance, and potentially drunk... ok, maybe not that last one) then rule out the simple stuff you can rule out.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

....and presumably for it to be a cold issue both feet would be effected ??
              When I've had similar numbness issues it never seemed dependent on temperature. In fact, I can remember 2 occasions when it was in the 50s, so not cold. In my case it seems to be more related to exertion (the 2 specific instances that come to mind for me were during races, right around the 3 mile mark, then letting up a couple of miles later). Bramsey, have you tried running through it (not saying that you should, but more for experimentation's sake)? Does it eventually dissipate? Is it numbness without pain?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

xor

Thats true. It's never the right foot. I just find it weird that those 50 some-odd people on that forum ALL had it happen at the 3 mile mark. Regardless of their fitness levels.
                I didn't read that thread... but regardless of fitness level... 3 miles (btw, you wrote 2.5 for yourself, so it's really "somewhere early on") means 20-35 minutes into it. It may be more about the time than the mile. Or not. Food for thought.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I didn't read that thread... but regardless of fitness level... 3 miles (btw, you wrote 2.5 for yourself, so it's really "somewhere early on") means 20-35 minutes into it. It may be more about the time than the mile. Or not. Food for thought.
                  When I have had the weird numbness it comes on almost exactly at the 30 minute mark, then gradually disappears about 20 minutes later. Like clockwork. Almost always in my right foot, too, though I have had it on sort of a milder scale with my left foot.

~ Sarah Kay

The Thunder

Sometimes one foot goes numb for me and not the other one. Sometimes it's both. I think if you run more, you'll sort things out.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

Im not really to the level where I can run 20 minutes past 3 miles, but when I get there Ill try it out and see if it goes away then. So I should definitely keep running though?
                        Sorry I feel like you guys are getting frustrated with me.

The Thunder

Im not really to the level where I can run 20 minutes past 3 miles, but when I get there Ill try it out and see if it goes away then. So I should definitely keep running though?
                          Throw caution to the wind....go run a 5 miler. See if the numbness goes away before you're done.

1 Hip and 2 Hamstring reconstructions later…

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Throw caution to the wind....go run a 5 miler. See if the numbness goes away before you're done.
                            Thunder might be onto something. Bramsey, maybe try doing a REALLY easy 5 miler (perhaps a minute or two slower than what you have been running)...see what happens. If you're not actually feeling pain you might be able to see if you are dealing with something fleeting, or something more permanent. Plus, if you run a lot slower you may just find that it's an exertion thing, similar to what I have dealt with. And if/when you do see a doctor (which is a very good idea, BTW--better safe than sorry) you'll have that much better of an idea what you might be dealing with. It's sometimes difficult to understand symptoms during shorter runs. At least you have learned one thing--it's not a shoe issue. That does help narrow things down.

~ Sarah Kay

Alright, I mapped out a completely flat 5 mile course to try Friday.
                                I don't think anyone meant to run more - TODAY -- I think they meant that after a few months of running the problem will go away....it did for me --- think you just need more time running -- keeping your mileage and slowly building....but don go out and run 5 miles if you not usually doing so......just do what you do and let your body get used to your running. Don't run more then you are ready for Big grin

Champions are made when no one is watching