Garmin Forerunner 10? (Read 1043 times)

TennisKid1192

Kevin

Does anyone have the Forerunner 10? If so what do you think?

I have a 305 that I've been using for a couple of years, but i've always been on the lookout for something less clunky. I know it doesn't show average pace and only shows 2 data fields at once, but I think I could be fine with that. 

Let me know if you have one and how it's working out for you =]

2013 Goals: 1000 Miles | 5k: Sub 25 | HM: Sub 2:00 | 1 Race/Month 

Hobby Jogger Especial!

I do have the FR 10.  I've only used it a few times so far. In general, I like it. Very simple to use. 

Jess runs for bacon

I love mine. I didn't have another Garmin to compare it with, other than borrowing a friend's 110. But it works great, doesn't feel like I'm wearing a graphing calculator on my wrist, and is super easy to use and read. Plus it comes in pink. And let's face it, that's pretty much all that matters.

I used to have a 205 before it crapped out on me.  It was HUGE and clunky....often reminded me of the Flinstones, where they wear those sundials for watches.

Now I have a FR10 which isn't much larger than a Timex Ironman.  And it has the basics... time, pace, distance, history, virtual pacer, downloads to most training logs (including the one here).  It packs alot of features for such a small device, but you don't have to use them all. The best thing is that it retails at full price for about $130., but if you can come across a coupon from RunningWarehouse or something, you can probably get it down close to $100.

TammyinGP

I'm thinking of getting the FR10 for my 13 yr old for Christmas. He likes mine but it's a 305, so pretty clunky on his much smaller wrists. and all he's interested in is pace and distance.

does the FR 10 allow you to set it so the feedback is just average pace, like you can do with the other garmins, instead of jumping all around depending on what your pace at that very moment is?

Tammy

familygal

As far as I understand,  it only show instant pace, not an average pace.  For much more detailed info, check out DCRainmaker's website.  It is excellent.

Jess runs for bacon

As far as I understand,  it only show instant pace, not an average pace.  For much more detailed info, check out DCRainmaker's website.  It is excellent.

True about the pace, and true about DCrainmaker's site.

I'm thinking of getting the FR10 for my 13 yr old for Christmas. He likes mine but it's a 305, so pretty clunky on his much smaller wrists. and all he's interested in is pace and distance.

does the FR 10 allow you to set it so the feedback is just average pace, like you can do with the other garmins, instead of jumping all around depending on what your pace at that very moment is?

While actively running it doesn't show average pace, it does beep at mile intervals.  At 13, I am guessing that he may have a sense of what his pace is...watch beeps, take a quick glance, speed up/slow down accordingly.  At least this is what works for me.  I can set it for pace and cumulative time spent running, but I am not that quick w/ math and extremely slow in calculating numbers 'on the fly', so determining average pace based on cumulative time is hard for me in the later miles.

The other thing is that when he downloads the data, it will show him the average pace, as well as his mile splits.  The biggest thing is that at 13, the $100 investment will not be as bad as say a $250. investment, if he smashes it, drops it, etc.  Teens can be rough on equipment...

joescott

I have run a lot with the 10, and I like it very much.  In addition to being lightweight, small and simple to use, it is also very accurate.  (Disclaimer before some of the RA crusty curmudgeons call me out:  I have a vested interest).  A couple points of clarification, the 10 does not show "instant" pace.  If it did that it would jump all over kingdom come by +/- 2 or 3 minutes per mile.  It is what we call *current* pace, which is more or less a much smoothed "instant" pace over X amount of time.  Incidentally, you will note in DC Rainmaker's review that he said that we nailed the current pace on the Forerunner 10; I can't say much more about that, but you can see his comments for yourself about how he compared current pace on the 10 to that on previous products.  Still, there are drawbacks to the 10.  For more serious runners (well for me, anyway) I cannot use it on track days or even other sorts of interval days because it does not have a lap data screen.  But I think many many runners will be very happy with the 10, and even for the more lunatic fringe guys and gals like me it works dandy for 80% of what we do.

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

TammyinGP

thanks for the feedback. I will check out that review.

and thanks for the clarification on the instant pace vs current pace. I was thinking it was jumping all over and knew that would drive him nuts as when he's not in CC or Track, he's mostly running trails on our property - which are up and down and pace would be all over the place. I doubt he'll be a frequent glancer at the watch anyways - probably just more interested in the total distance he's running and sort of a ballpark area of what his pace is in.

Tammy

I just got my Forerunner 10 on November 16th and have used it everyday since then.  It's the first GPS watch I've ever owned and I'm very happy with it.  I was thinking about buying the Timex Marathon watch too.  But when I read a review on the Forerunner 10 and it mentioned its automatic pause and start feature that sold me.  That's because before I had a Forerunner 10 I would use the stopwatch on my wristwatch to record my times with.  And on those cold Winter days where I was forced to wear mittens or thick gloves, pressing the small pause button on my watch became frustrating. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that anymore, nor do I have to remember the routes I ran anymore. This watch does everything I want and need.  I only wish there was a way to put an expandable wristband on it though.  I took it to 2 jewelers and they both said they can't do it with this watch. 

Mmmmm...beer

Santa is bringing me an FR10, can't wait!  I spoke with three runners at the 5k on Saturday who all ran with it and loved it (all three colors too lol).  They said the current pace feature was very smooth.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

I just got my Forerunner 10 on November 16th and have used it everyday since then.  It's the first GPS watch I've ever owned and I'm very happy with it.  I was thinking about buying the Timex Marathon watch too.  But when I read a review on the Forerunner 10 and it mentioned its automatic pause and start feature that sold me.  That's because before I had a Forerunner 10 I would use the stopwatch on my wristwatch to record my times with.  And on those cold Winter days where I was forced to wear mittens or thick gloves, pressing the small pause button on my watch became frustrating. I'm glad I don't have to worry about that anymore, nor do I have to remember the routes I ran anymore. This watch does everything I want and need.  I only wish there was a way to put an expandable wristband on it though.  I took it to 2 jewelers and they both said they can't do it with this watch. 

I don't have mine in front of me, but a watch store at a place like Sears can't replace the band?  I bet if you contacted Garmin, they could tell you a way to do it.  I am guessing that it shoud only be held on by a few pins.  Although not out of the realm of possibility, I can't imagine Garmin making a watch band that only they can replace.  It's not like you're opening up the unit itself.

I just Googled how to do it, and although this article applies to the 605, I am betting that the process isn't that much different for a 10. 

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B92515030-af81-11e1-dcef-000000000000%7D

TammyinGP

I ordered one for my son on amazon yesterday. should be here next week.

i wonder if I should product test it before Christmas . . . you know, just to make sure it works . . . Joking

Tammy

I don't have mine in front of me, but a watch store at a place like Sears can't replace the band?  I bet if you contacted Garmin, they could tell you a way to do it.  I am guessing that it shoud only be held on by a few pins.  Although not out of the realm of possibility, I can't imagine Garmin making a watch band that only they can replace.  It's not like you're opening up the unit itself.

I just Googled how to do it, and although this article applies to the 605, I am betting that the process isn't that much different for a 10. 

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId=%7B92515030-af81-11e1-dcef-000000000000%7D

Thanks, after viewing that video that looked so easy I removed the band myself.   I'm going to take it to a jeweler now and see if they can replace the band.