Garmin vs Timex (Read 224 times)

runninggirl30

I REALLY want a GPS watch for Christmas this year and have wanted a Garmin for quite a while but I did notice that Timex are cheaper.   I figured the best thing was to ask my fellow runners what they thought about both products.  Thanks for suggestions.  I want a watch that doesn't break the bank but that is also accurate!!!

This evaluation may help: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/03/trainer-depth-review.html

I've only owned Garmins and don't know anything about Timex GPS watches.

I cant really answer with any authority but would bet quite a bit of money that Garmins are better.    I'm guessing timex are probably OK but Garmins normally have more features

I was torn between Timex, Soleus and Garmin Forerunner 10.    I ended up getting a Soleus because I came across a sale and got it for $59.....but wish I had spent another $60 and got the Garmin.  The Soleus is OK but I like my older Garmin (before I dyed better)..

Next time I'll stick with Garmin....

Champions are made when no one is watching

Feeling the growl again

In general, Timex products are cheap with a limited lifespan.  I have been buying their Ironman watches for 25 years because I like them, but when the battery goes they go in the trash as they always go dead shortly after a battery replacement.

I have not had one of the newer Timex GPS units, but I had the first one (circa 2005).  The watch portion was toast in only a year.  The separate transmitter unit....at that time made by Garmin...was fine.  I would not recommend Timex for GPS products.

Conversely, My Garmin Forerunner 201 purchased in 2006 only recently went belly-up.  I replaced it with another Garmin product.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I have had a Timex Ironman Triathlon for 2 years. It has given me no problems and has more features than I need.  The battery still shows 60% life after 3 hours use.  I would not hesitate to buy another Timex GPS.

Runner with a riding problem.

Cyberic

I have a Timex Global Trainer GPS with HRM. I've  owned it for 2 1/2 years. Great buy. It has tons of features for the price. But the Battery is starting to scare me already. I expect that I'll need to change it in a year or so because the battery won't last over 3 hours with GPS on.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Hobie1

I have the original Timex Run Trainer.  It is about 3 years old and I have had to send it in once already.  I had a Garmin 305 before that and I would trade the Timex for an old Garmin in a heartbeat.

Hoban-Jay

I have ONLY...EVER... owned a Garmin Forerunner 205.  I bought it refurbished 4+ years ago.  Have not had a single problem with it..it's big and clunky and when it dies, I will want something smaller, but it functions well, and offers MORE than I need of it.

runninggirl30

thanks...good info so far!

Runner Mike

This evaluation may help: http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/03/trainer-depth-review.html

I've only owned Garmins and don't know anything about Timex GPS watches.

there are a few things that DC doesn't cover.

One on Timex vs Garmin is the mile splits. If you have your watch set for auto split for a mile, timex uses absolute miles and garmin uses relative miles.

An example.  You have auto lap enabled, but you hit the lap button .5M into your run. On a timex, the autolap will trigger at 1.0 Miles or a distance of .5M between the laps.  On a Garmin, it will trigger at 1.5M or a mile between laps.

There are other small difference.

I also notice that DC doesn't cover the smaller brands.

Runner Mike

In general, Timex products are cheap with a limited lifespan.  I have been buying their Ironman watches for 25 years because I like them, but when the battery goes they go in the trash as they always go dead shortly after a battery replacement.

I have not had one of the newer Timex GPS units, but I had the first one (circa 2005).  The watch portion was toast in only a year.  The separate transmitter unit....at that time made by Garmin...was fine.  I would not recommend Timex for GPS products.

Conversely, My Garmin Forerunner 201 purchased in 2006 only recently went belly-up.  I replaced it with another Garmin product.

If you have never had the timex GPS watches how can you make a statement that you wouldn't recommend them for GPS watches.

I've had both - I had Garmin 201, 205, 305, 405

Timex - TRT and TRT 2.0

plus

Tomtom - tomtom Runner

In addition to the above mentioned lap issue, I have notice in general timex watches seem to measure short not by much usally .1M or less, but it's fairly constant. Otherwise they are solid GPS watches. the Timex Run Trainer -get a lot more for your $$ than garmin. I got my for $120.

The bands on the garmin tend to wear out quickly . The newer garmins have bluetooth.

Both the older garmins and the timex seem to take their time finding a signal - not fun on cold days.

You coudl also consider a Tomtom runner....they are reallly cheap now on Ebay.

The early Garmin couldn't be worn as a watch. I've seen the Garmin 220 and 620 and they still look huge to me. The timex and the tom tom can be. Currently, I'm using the tom tom b/c it's cheap and has bluetooth. Battery life is good and the GPS is quick and accurate.

Cyberic

One on Timex vs Garmin is the mile splits. If you have your watch set for auto split for a mile, timex uses absolute miles and garmin uses relative miles.

An example.  You have auto lap enabled, but you hit the lap button .5M into your run. On a timex, the autolap will trigger at 1.0 Miles or a distance of .5M between the laps.  On a Garmin, it will trigger at 1.5M or a mile between laps.

That is not the case on my Timex Global Trainer.

I have autolap set on miles (1.61 km actually, but whatever). Whenever I press the lap button manually, it will auto lap 1 mile after that, like the Gamin behavior you describe.

Cyberic

Ok, probably my last post on this thread: I made a test tonight: I left the watch outside, with GPS on and back light on to see how long the battery would last. It was about -7c (20 F) outside, with winds, but watches don't care about wind.

It shut down after 2:16. Bought the watch in July 2012, not even 2 1/2 years ago.

BloodAxe

That is not the case on my Timex Global Trainer.

I have autolap set on miles (1.61 km actually, but whatever). Whenever I press the lap button manually, it will auto lap 1 mile after that, like the Gamin behavior you describe.

Same on my Global Trainer. If you have set autolap at 1 mi. but the actual lap you are running is shorter and you are manually counting laps, the autolap will never fire.