swim vs running equivalent values (Read 4370 times)

Is there a general value equivalent for swimming as related to running?  Example:  Does 600m in the pool roughly equal 1 mile on the road or is it too arbitrary of a item to assign a general value?

How many iPad 2's equal one pine tree?

Runners run

If I'm paddling a canoe through the desert and one of the wheels pops off, how many pancakes will I need to re-shingle the roof?

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Did somebody say pancakes...?

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

If I'm paddling a canoe through the desert and one of the wheels pops off, how many pancakes will I need to re-shingle the roof?

At this point I think that is not your most important problem.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Is there a general value equivalent for swimming as related to running?  Example:  Does 600m in the pool roughly equal 1 mile on the road or is it too arbitrary of a item to assign a general value?

Too arbitrary.  But, I find that 1500 yards swimming is similar to a 5k race in terms of effort and time.

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life

I am guessing 500-600m of lap swimming is a rough equivalent to 1 mile of running as far as cross-training is concerned.  Thanks for your opinion.  Others with stupid responses please don't bother.

xor

I am guessing 500-600m of lap swimming is a rough equivalent to 1 mile of running as far as cross-training is concerned.  Thanks for your opinion.  Others with stupid responses please don't bother.

Except that it isn't.

You can't really equate them.  That was the actual point of the responses you consider "stupid".

Just because one person says that x yards "feels like" a 5k doesn't really mean much.  Form is everything when it comes to swimming.  And the wee matter of HOW HARD YOU SWAM.  Lap swimming is only going to feel like a 5k to me if I swim hard.

How many iPad 2's equal one pine tree?

Does anyone know the answer to this one? I've already sharpened my axe and I'm planning on some early christmas shopping.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Lane

Does anyone know the answer to this one? I've already sharpened my axe and I'm planning on some early christmas shopping.

It doesn't work that way.  Multiple iPads go into each tree, but you can't get the iPads back out of the tree.

xor

Is the tree hollow?

Inhabited by master baker elves?

Sean Hodgins

I am both a runner and swimmer and this is what i think based on time and effort:

Swim                                                    Run

50 meters                      =                     200 meters

100 meters                    =                     400 meters

200 meters                    =                     800 meters 

500 meters                    =                     1600 meters/mile

1000 meters                  =                     3200 meters/2 mile

mile                               =                     5000 meters/5k

Lane

Is the tree hollow?

Inhabited by master baker elves?

They used to be master baker elves until they got their iPads.  That's why you can't get iPads out of a tree.

xor

And once they started dinking around with their ipads, the cookies went to shit too.

I am guessing 500-600m of lap swimming is a rough equivalent to 1 mile of running as far as cross-training is concerned.  Thanks for your opinion. 

I will add that the 1500yd : 5k comparison is for me and my effort.  I think the key point would be "my" and "I".  However, I notice that the ratio for you and for "Sean" were also about the same.  I'm guessing that both you, Sean, and I are all swimming enough to have a good feel for the proper ratio.

Now, I understand that some of the others who don't swim or swim downhill would have different ratios, and I think that's what some of the other responses refer to.  I remember my first outing swimming laps, I would have thought that about 300 yards was about the same effort as a 5k, but that's because I was swimming like a sunken dutch windmill.

Brian

Life Goals:

#1: Do what I can do

#2: Enjoy life