long run after a race (Read 570 times)

I ran a 10k race today and was wondering if I should still do my 10.5 mile long run tomorrow? I didn't have the best time today, not sure what was wrong, but I never really found my groove and it just wasn't the best. Anyways, if I don't do the long run I was just going to do an easy 6 course to get my 30 miles for the week. What do you think I should do? Thanks!

A Saucy Wench

I've had some great long runs after a race and some that I clearly shouldn't have done. If you had an off race you might not be that beat up. But I have had fantastic long runs after PR races...who can say. I say go out slow and make your decision after 4 miles or so. Hydrate well today and eat well, try to get some good sleep. Maybe go for a short walk tonight to loosen things up.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I say go for it. Take it easy and run that bad feeling you seem to be having out of your head - and legs. I did a 19 miler last Sunday after racing a half Saturday w/ no distress. I took it real easy, stopped occassionally, walked a tad and felt no ill effects. Of course, someone admonished me for doing a long run after a race, so I'll be interested to hear what others have to say.
          It depends on how hard you ran your 10K and how well your are conditioned. If you normally recover quickly after a race and you aren't too sore tomorrow the do your long run. If you are hurting and are fatigued in the morning then skip it. Trying to force yourself to do it before you are ready is a great way to end up sidelined. Tom
            I believe that doing a long run the day after races 10k and shorter can be very beneficial. After a longer race it is a tougher call. In that case I'd be more in favor of adding a few right after the race and making it the long run for the week.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
            RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

I've had some great long runs after a race and some that I clearly shouldn't have done. If you had an off race you might not be that beat up. But I have had fantastic long runs after PR races...who can say. I say go out slow and make your decision after 4 miles or so. Hydrate well today and eat well, try to get some good sleep. Maybe go for a short walk tonight to loosen things up.
              Totally agree.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

obsessor

warmup, race, run on for cooldown = long run. Or next day = good training, too.
                  Thanks for the advice guys. I was going to take off today, but then last night decided to go for it. Had a pretty nice 10 miler, although I was supposed to do 11 but messed up mapping it and ended up being shorter. Oh well. Didn't feel like my race yesterday really affected it at all. I actually felt better than last week. Yay! Smile
                    yay for you. kinda hot and humid today around the burg. well, the humidity burned off, but then it was just hot. at least where i went (butler freeport trail, starting at freeport trailhead.) 10 a.m. kinda late to start a long run, but hey, it's beer, ribs and steelers the rest of the day.
                      yeah, it is pretty grossly hot outside right now. I woke up early, and left at 7.30 to run. At least then it was pretty cool. I think I'm going to check out that trail, maybe it wouldn't be too far to get to from downtown and it definitely would be nicer to run on that! Are you doing their half marathon by any chance? I just found out about it. I'd love to do it if I'm ready, it looks like a nice course! Yeah, I'd watch the steeler game if I didn't have so much homework. I hate college. Dead
                        Hmm. Thought I posted, but mustn't have. 99.99% running the half. Register by 10.6 and you save $$. The trail is about 25-30 from downtown (on a Sunday, w/ no traffic.) No fountains, a few portopots (but not at the trail start in Freeport) Mosty shaded the 11 miles I went out. Very scenic. As for college ... Oh, I think you will miss it someday.