Frauds as Philosophers (Read 841 times)

joescott

I'm going to hate myself for asking the following absolutely sincere question.  And I *am* being sincere.

What do YOU mean by "knowing"?

SRL, I'm with you.  I just mean it in the everyday sense as we use the word, but totally acknowledge that it is likely that I can't *know* anything.  Probably there is no such thing as 100% certainty (and therefore there is always some room for faith).

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

"run" "2" "eat"

by "knowing" i mean "having experience of".

harry potter believed he could produce a patronus there by the lake because he had already done so. time-turners not withstanding, i believe a chair that has held me before will hold me now and continue to hold me in the future precisely because it has held me in the past, while i can only have faith that a chair upon which i have never sat will support me.

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Kid A believes 99% that his dad will pick him up from practice and his dad always picks him up.

Kid B believes 99% that his dad will pick him up from practice but his dad frequently forgets.

Kid B's father does not exist.  Kid B's mother killed Kid B's daddy long ago, primarily because he kept forgetting to pick the kid up from practice.

"run" "2" "eat"

ternt -- "frequently" forgets implies "sometimes" remembers. if daddy-b is dead, how does he remember?

i find the sunshine beckons me to open up the gate and dream and dream ~~robbie williams

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

The scenario is false. It could not exist.

"run" "2" "eat"

define: exist

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Kid B's father does not exist.  Kid B's mother killed Kid B's daddy long ago, primarily because he kept forgetting to pick the kid up from practice.

Actually, and shockingly, I believe (faith!) there is a religion where people do specifically place faith in a guy who died.

I don't think his performance in the 'picking kids up from school' category is well-documented, however. Good research grant opportunity?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

I'll see if I can get a grant for that.

xor

"They're not booing, they are saying LOU".

"run" "2" "eat"

lou grant?

xor

This post carys the thread to a new level.

"run" "2" "eat"

yikes! same thought pattern as the señor.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

"They're not booing, they are saying LOU".

Help. No knowing going on at this end, at all.

Never mind: I may be slow, but I got to the finish line eventually.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

xor

lou grant?

Judy Garland left you a message.  It reads: JINX.

"run" "2" "eat"

señor, you are fostering a sense of frustration in me!