Timex Marathon GPS Watch (Read 147 times)

Has anyone used the Timex Marathon GPS Watch.

I have a Garmin 205 that seems to be on its last days and I don't want to spend a ton of money.     So I'm looking for a replacement.  Don't really need any bells and/or whistles.....just minutes per mile and mile splits.

So just wondered if anyone would recommend this watch or has experience with it........

THKS

Champions are made when no one is watching

Still kicking

My wife gave me one for Christmas 2012. I LOVE it. Flawless operation ever since. It's also waterproof, I rinse it off in the shower after sweaty runs. I have no desire for anything different, will use it for as long as it keeps going. It's also a nice moderate size and I wear it daily as my every-day watch.

I'm also on Athlinks and Strava

Hoban-Jay

I have a Garmin 205 that seems to be on its last days and I don't want to spend a ton of money.     So I'm looking for a replacement.  Don't really need any bells and/or whistles.....just minutes per mile and mile splits.

So just wondered if anyone would recommend this watch or has experience with it........

THKS

I would highly reccommend finding (and buying!) another Forerunner 205 instead.  I've had mine for 3+ years now.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

I have used a Timex Ironman Triathalon  for 18 months or so.  While not the exact model you were asking about, I still wanted to chime-in.  I have total satisfaction with my Timex, and will probably buy another when this one craps out on me.

Totally waterproof for about half the price of a Garmin...

Runner with a riding problem.

Runners run

I would highly reccommend finding (and buying!) another Forerunner 205 instead.  I've had mine for 3+ years now.

Why would you recommend buying another Forerunner 205???

Champions are made when no one is watching

Hoban-Jay

Why would you recommend buying another Forerunner 205???

Why not!?  It's a great watch, does what I need...has worked perfectly for more than three years and watches that do the same darn thing as my 205 cost four times as much as if I were to by another 205 today.

Cyberic

I have used a Timex Ironman Triathalon  for 18 months or so.  While not the exact model you were asking about, I still wanted to chime-in.  I have total satisfaction with my Timex, and will probably buy another when this one craps out on me.

Totally waterproof for about half the price of a Garmin...

Same here. I have had a Global Trainer for over a year and a half now and no issue. It does what needs to be done.But it is not the model you're talking about, the Marathon.

The price tag was what got me to buy this watch, as I was planning on buying a Garmin. I'm not saying it is better than a Garmin, just that I like it and paid less for it.

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Why not!?  It's a great watch, does what I need...has worked perfectly for more than three years and watches that do the same darn thing as my 205 cost four times as much as if I were to by another 205 today.

205's are hard to find these days.  You spend less getting the 310XT, which is an upgrade (feature-wise, and much better waterproofing) over the 205.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

running metalhead

CRAAAAP!!! Mate, had I seen this when I bought mine :_(

Not that I don't like it, my Timex Ironman Triathlon GPS (actually a version of the Ironman GPS Run Trainer, just noticed that it's branded 'triathlon") is a great tool too.

I had to get used to some differences with Garmin, mostly the fact that it  meassures the intervals in time and not in distance (well, like the Suunto actually), Not an issue but youi need to get used mentally.

Nice stuff. 

- Egmond ( 14 januari )            :  1:41:40 (21K)
                      - Vondelparkloop ( 20 januari ) :  0:58.1 (10K but did 13.44!!!)
                      - Twiskemolenloop ( 4 maart )  :   1:35:19 (3th M45!)

- Ekiden Zwolle (10K)   ( 25 maart )
                      - Rotterdam Marathon ( 8 april )
                      - Leiden Marathon Halve ( 27 mei )
                      - Marathon Amersfoort ( 10 juni)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

I had to get used to some differences with Garmin, mostly the fact that it  meassures the intervals in time and not in distance (well, like the Suunto actually), Not an issue but youi need to get used mentally.

Nice stuff. 

Garmins can do time or distance-based intervals.

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

mickeykord

Spam link
                          half-fast

This is more a comment on Timex than it is on the Marathon watch.

I received a Timex Run Trainer 1.0 for Christmas and I really enjoyed it...when it worked.  Finally one day after about a month of use I woke up to a blank screen.  I couldn't get it to do anything.  It's actually a similar problem that Eric had with his (sorry can't find the thread on it quickly).  I contacted Timex and I sent it in for $8 s/h.  2 weeks later they sent me a Run Trainer 2.0 no questions asked - so I got upgraded for just $8.  I've been using it now ever since and haven't had any issues yet and it worked great on the Texas Indepence Relay which I ran last weekend.

So Timex has my vote as far as customer service at least.

degregorius

Clicked on the link, and was surprised by the low price.  Not really a consumer of such gadgetry, but I do have the Timex Ironman watch. Very reliable.  May consider the GPS watch.

Cyberic

After reading DCRainmaker's review, I realize that my previous comment is irrelevent as the Marathon is not made by Timex (same as the Soleus) so the fact that I think the Timex Global Trainer is a good product cannot be used to extrapolate that the Marathon might be a good watch.