Coughing & Running (Read 511 times)

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Okay, this is kinda strange.  When I run, my abdomen gets pretty tight -- not in an unnatural way.  Every once in a while, for unrelated reasons like trying to breath water, I have to cough.  When I do so, I get a sharp pain in my lower abdomen, left side, 4" below navel, 4" to the left.  It feels like that muscle is weak.  Maybe this is what a hernia feels like?  I don't know.

This is the only time it happens.  Only a hard cough.  Only when I've been running for more than 8mi.  Though, I haven't really tried to experiment with shorter distances or tried to encourage coughing.

I'm pretty sure if I had a coughing fit I'd end up rupturing something.

I plan to do more crunches and sit-ups.

Anyone heard of this kind of thing?

2016 Goals: Lose the 10lbs I gained for not having goals

TheDroppingDead

Do you have any history of Asthma? I have had friends that outgrew Asthma, but sometimes when they run, they feel coughing and light symptoms of asthma.

Running causing coughing is fairly normal--I have that quite a bit depending on the weather. I had asthma as a kid. Cold and/or dry and/or high dust/pollen/smog days are triggers for me.

The sharp pain sounds like a stitch a.k.a. side stitch. Things like drinking too much water just before or during running, and coughing can trigger a stitch. There is some anecdotal evidence that poor posture while running can contribute as well.

Unfortunately there is not a whole lot you can do about a stitch except try to avoid the things that trigger them.

Runners run.

Princess Cancer Pants

Erratic breathing can cause side-aches, too...so if you're coughing it makes sense that you could be triggering stitches that way.  Or...are you running with others and talking?  About the only time I get side aches is if I'm running with someone and we're doing a lot of chatting.  My kid sometimes gets side aches when we run and I have to tell him to quit talking to make the stitch go away (he talks a blue streak.  If he actually stopped talking while running there is NO way I could keep up with him.  Kid has some freaky aerobic potential!).

'17 Goals:

• Chemo

• Chemo-Radiation

• Surgery

• Return to kicking my own ass by 2018

She was not strong. She was valiant. Radiant. Brave and broken. The beauty she discovered in the aftermath was unparalleled to anything she had known before, because it had come at such a cost.

~ Unknown

I get the same thing. After a hard run, I get the coughs and my lower abs will hurt with each cough. Sneezing hurts too. I don't think it's anything serious. After yesterday's half, I felt like I had smoked a pack of Marlboro Reds. Reverse crunches can help the abs maybe. And don't neglect hip flexor and groin stretches after running.