Who all is here and what are you doing? (Read 16874 times)

Hello, I re-started running after a 10 year hiatus.  I had been an athlete in high school, but that was a loooong time ago.  Last year I was challenged to run the WDW 1/2 by my daughter and wound up using HandyRunner Lite a little to map and track some of the workouts(hopefully I'll be more consistent on the tracking this year).  I have also found running to be an enjoyable release and a helpful way to get back to some semblance of reasonable weight. I have been lurking for a while and really enjoy the knowledge and helpfulness of the people on here.  Combine that with the sometimes humorous input and it looks like I've found the right place for me.

Chris

AroundTheHorn

Hi all, just stopping in to say hi and to say I'm getting dedicated back to running. I had knee problems 2 years ago and kind of just fell off the wagon. I've been running here and there for these last 2 years but nothing consistent.  Well, there is no time like the present so it's time to kick some butt.

Roads, where we're going we don't need any....roads.
        newb here....I've been working with a FAR more accomplished runner than myself, and I'm working on getting back into at least a 10k everytime I go out for running. I used to run 3-4 miles a day 5 days or so a week, but just fell out of it last year. In the past month or so I've gotten serious again about it. There is nothing that compares to the feeling of a body that consistently runs... as all those here already know. I've just got a Garmin forerunner which helps me keep much more accurate track of my running in the various cities that I visit (along with my home course), and this site was recommended to me by my coworker. So far, after some exploring, I love the interface and can't wait to get more involved. I'm already a forum rat on my other interests in aviation and music, so here comes running as well.
        hey! watch this!!
        julz24

Hey there. Thought I'd introduce myself. Always some interesting topics here running and otherwise. I ran cc and track all thru hs, and after 17 years and 70 some odd lbs, am back at it. Have been going at it for 6 months now. Completed a local 5k, (6 min off hs pr) and 8 mi Mt. Baldy run. My next goal is La Marathon. Training started this week so wish me luck...

#artbydmcbride

Good luck julz!   See you at LA

Runners run

far_2_far_2_fast

I'm 26 and a excollegiate runner who became burned out of running upon finishing school. I'm trying to gradually get back into it now, both because I enjoy the sport and as cardio for mixed martial arts. Still trying to figure out time management to enable me to do both. My biggest obstacle is probably starting fresh - my mind remembers being fast, but my body simply can't. This has led to a lot of wtf? moments after finishing a run and looking at my watch.

You'll ruin your knees!

I'm 26 and a excollegiate runner who became burned out of running upon finishing school. I'm trying to gradually get back into it now, both because I enjoy the sport and as cardio for mixed martial arts. Still trying to figure out time management to enable me to do both. My biggest obstacle is probably starting fresh - my mind remembers being fast, but my body simply can't. This has led to a lot of wtf? moments after finishing a run and looking at my watch.

You'll need to get a new watch...

Best of luck in the comeback and many happy years of running to you!

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Bryan Castro

Hi,

This seems to be the general introduction thread. I'm 36 and formerly just ran to cross-train for martial arts. However, with a couple kids and business, my time for training in martial arts (in an organized fashion) has been limited by real life. I recently ran a 5k for a cause I believe in and then a half-marathon on the invitation/challenge from a friend and started to really love the flexibility (no group training or special equipment/gym needed) and freedom of running. In any case, I'm just going from race to race. I still do a lot of cross-training doing solo training in martial arts, indoor rowing, and weight lifting, but I now also proudly call myself a "runner" as opposed to someone who runs.

I'm looking forward to racing at a bunch of distances next spring/summer and I'm going to finish my 2011 racing "season" with the 8K Turkey Trot in Buffalo, NY. In 2012 I hope to complete my first 1 mile, 10K, and marathon as well as breaking 22:00 in 5K (current best about 23:30 6-7 years ago and ran 24:06 a couple weeks ago).

2011-2012 Running Goals

5K under 22:00

8K under 37:30 (in 2011)

HM under 1:51:00

Complete Marathon

Hi All! My name is Desmond Deary I'm 31 years old (almost 32, 23 November) and I live in Cape Town, South Africa. I personaly know 1 other person logging their runs on this site and that is the person who sent me a facebook invite to join, but I'm working on getting more Captonians to join. So because I don't know any of you I thought I would read all 51 pages of this thread to see who's out there before posting and I have found many of your stories really inspirational (though this thread is a little like a time warp as many of the posts are nearly 6 years old, I'm sure a lot has changed since then). I have been logging my miles since June on this site and have lurked a little in the forums.

I'm privileged to say that I was able to visit the places that some of you live, around Christmas of 2008 with my wife. We spent quite a bit of time in NC espessially Charlote and Ashville. We also traveled through Durham and Raleigh all places mentioned on this thread. We spent some days in Manhattan and visited family in Stuart FL.

As far as running is conserned I have only started running seriously this year although I have been running on and off since my teens. I started in January after taking a year off with a new born child who took about a year and a half before he was able to sleep for more than 3 to 4 hours. I was well over weight and have lost three pants sizes this year and can now safely say I am within my prefered BMI range having lost  15kg over 10 months. 

Unlike most runners I am making a transition from trail running to road at the moment. I have always done most of my training on the road and much of it with the club that I run with but the only races that I have run until this past weekend were trail races. The reason I'm doing more road runs is two fold. Firstly I would like to be a little quicker and secondly I would like to run the TWO OCEANS ultra marathon next year (hailed as "the worlds most beautiful marathon" (If you don't believe me come see for yourself)) in order to qualify for the race I have to complete a marathon before cut off time which I hope to do next month 19 November. I'm sure I'll finish sub 4 hours but if my training goes well I'm hoping for sub 3:30. So thats me! Give me a shout out if you ever want to know a little more about my part of the world.   

2012 Goals:

5k: sub 20 min 19:49

10k: sub 42 min

21.1: sub 100 min

42.2 sub 4 hours Peninsula 3:49:49

Two Oceans Ultra Marathon: Sub 6 hours

You'll ruin your knees!

Welcome Bryan and Desmond!  Yep, this thread began when forums were a brand new thing... as you say, a lot has changed but one thing is still the same, this is a great place to share, learn, grow and be inspired!  Make yourselves comfortable...

Two Oceans sounds awesome!

Lynn B

""...the truth that someday, you will go for your last run. But not today—today you got to run." - Matt Crownover (after Western States)

Hello, my name is Philipp.. I am 24 years old and from Germany.

I started running for 3months now because of my weight (:

Now i'm feeling addicted to it and don't need to lose any gram anymore Wink

I've bought a Forerunner last week and now I want track my running. I have a schedule for my next goal:

Halfmarathon in 1:45:00 Smile

You can check it on my profile (Only the running part Wink)

hope09

Please help spread the word:

Soldiers of the Military Proudly Present A Run/Walk-A-Thon to Benefit the Cristian Rivera Foundation

New York, NY—Soldiers of the Military announced that a run/walk-a-thon will be held on Sunday November 13, 2011 to benefit the Cristian Rivera Foundation, a New York City-based 501(c)(3) that aims to help children suffering from a rare, inoperable brain stem tumor known as Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG).

The run/walk-a-thon will take place at Joe Michael’s Mile, located at Totten Avenue by the Cross Island Parkway in Queens. Registration begins at 8am and the run/walk-a-thon will take place from 10am to 1pm. To register for the run/walk-a-thon or to sponsor a participant, call Amee Hernandez at 631-481-6768 or visit http://cristianriverafoundation.org/events.html.

The Cristian Rivera Foundation is dedicated to raising awareness of DIPG, offering outreach to families dealing with the disease, and donating money to fund research into its cure. The foundation was started in 2009 after its namesake, Cristian Rivera, lost his two-year battle with DIPG when he was only 6 years old. DIPG affects children primarily between the ages of 1 and 9, robbing them of their ability to speak, walk, eat and move before taking their lives. Few DIPG patients live past two years, with the median survival rate falling between three and 18 months. There are currently no recorded survivors.

The Cristian Rivera Foundation proudly supports Dr. Mark Souweidane, a neurosurgeon at Memorial Sloan-Kettering and the Director of the Weill Cornell Pediatric Brain and Spine Center. Inspired by his patient Cristian Rivera and other children and their families affected by devastating childhood cancers, Dr. Souweidane will be launching a pioneering FDA-approved clinical trial this fall. The innovative use of convection-enhanced delivery (CED) will be the first of its kind to administer radio immunotherapy to children with an otherwise incurable tumor. The doctor has worked for the past 12 years to cure the inoperable tumor, which takes the life of 200 children in the United States every year.

For more information on the Cristian Rivera Foundation, visit www.cristianriverafoundation.org.

Hi everybody, my name is Matt, and I'm thrilled I found this site. I'm a refugee from MapMyRun -- this looks like a much better place to hang out, Eric is doing a fantastic job with it.

Been running since HS (I'm 43 now) but went through a long stretch -- about 8 years -- when I stopped completely. Got serious about it again in summer 2010, and enjoying it more than I ever did in the past. Took my self-timed 10K times from 48 min. last spring to 42:44 a few weeks ago, and I'd like to break 40:00 when I run my first actual race in the spring.

Long-term goal for now: Getting into the Peachtree next summer and killing it -- definitely want to run sub-40 10K by then.

It also doesn't hurt that I dropped more than 25 pounds since January. Didn't even know it was there until it was gone....and my pants suddenly didn't fit! Smile

I've been pretty serious about my training, especially since early this year -- usually running six days a week, also three days a week in the gym, weekly interval/hill work, weekly long runs of 10-17 miles, at least one tempo run per week, aggressive pacing goals (for me) all around. I never enjoyed running this much in the past, and maybe it's because I'm pushing myself so consistently now and getting such great results.

Have toyed with the idea of marathon training, but having done some very long runs and two half-marathon training programs (no races, just for fun), I'm inclined to think that the 10K might be my "sweet spot" in terms of my interest, abilities, and love of hill/speed work. (I used to DREAD intervals in high school, now it's my favorite day of the week.)

Been lurking in the forums some, and it's obvious that a lot of great people are hanging around here. Looking forward to spending some time here and staying motivated for my next big training push. Like I said, I'm aiming to do my first actual race since high school next February, and I can't wait to start working towards it. See you all around!

Hi folks, I'm Fred, originally from the Bronx, now a resident of CT. I've been running since high school, pretty consitently, but I was a 1/4 miler in high school and college, so , even though I ran 8 seasons of X-Country (Van Cortland Park is in my nightmares) , distance for me is always a challenge. I coached High School Track for 4 yars before I had to go out and get a job (teaching wasn't working for me), so I have a lot of experience with running.

Love anything from a 5k to a Half Marathon. At the new age of 60 pr's are mostly in the past, but I love seeing what I can do in my age group. Even won a  little bling this year in a race after  my birthday!

I too am a Map My Run refugee, and like this format and site. My goals right now are to lose 5 lbs that snuck up on me when I was layed up with my achilles in August, and maintain a reasonable semblance of shape until spring races. I run with the Milford Road Runners which gets me up and out early on Saturdays for long runs (8-10 miles for me) and run 5-6 / day the rest of the week except for Sundays. No interval work this tim of year, the body need rest.

I look forward to chatting with the gang in the future!!